Skip to content

Sam Wood

It seems to me that last season Sam played out of position and despite gallantly trying a left back it was never his best role. Pre-season we signed JJ and the manager and chairman rejoiced that Woody would go to his left wing position ready to terrify full backs up and down the league. Something he did week in week out. With PCH ripping up trees on the other side all was good.
Now Woody is playing a free role(?) up front or maybe wide in a three he is nowhere near as effective. He is Mr 100% and every he does is positive and worthy but the role he is being asked to play is simply not him. Our dip in form has coincided with the change in tactics and the new role that Woody etc are being asked to play. Up until mid-december GA was picking players for roles and now he is picking roles for players and that will only end up one way.
Simplify Gareth and remember the good times.

Comments

• edited February 2015

Gaz seems to think we can get more out of Ephraim out from the wing cutting inside with his right foot, hence why Wood swapped places with him.
    When PAUL Hayes (@ChasHarps) returns, the change in dynamic and balance of the team may see Wood go back on the left.

• Woody's best moments last night were when he popped up on the left hand side. It's so obvious what his best position is. Would be far better off with Murphy playing central.

• Wood got 9 assists from wide positions earlier this season.

• Players playing out of position, now that sounds familiar to last season.

• Yep, Wood needs to be back out on the left in a proper 442. I'd have him left, Fred right, Bean and Murphy in the middle with Holloway and McClure (or preferably a loan striker) up front.

• @Fidget said:
    Yep, Wood needs to be back out on the left in a proper 442. I'd have him left, Fred right, Bean and Murphy in the middle with Holloway and McClure (or preferably a loan striker) up front.

Hear absolutely hear!

• @Fidget said:
    Yep, Wood needs to be back out on the left in a proper 442. I'd have him left, Fred right, Bean and Murphy in the middle with Holloway and McClure (or preferably a loan striker) up front.

Most sensible post of the day.

• @robin said:
    Most sensible post of the day.

Hey that's given me an idea @drcongo . Admittedly probably not possible to do, and maybe not a very popular idea as it's probably a bit 'gimmicky'... On occasions one wants to be able to give a virtual 'thumbs up' to a particularly articulate, well written post (or maybe even an error strewn misspelt one that by some miracle actually makes sense), but we don't want to resort to the dreaded 'Like' button.

How about if in homage to the original Gasroom there was a 'POTD' button that each user could only press once a day...? It resets overnight and the winning post is displayed in all its glory at the top of the forum for the poster to bask in glory for 24 hours until they are usurped by the next days literary work of genius?

Or is this taking us too far into a geeky, social media-esque world of avatars, smileys and virtual 'friends'?

• edited February 2015

That's a great idea @Fidget, but I did say pretty much what you said first.

Now, how do I dislike a post?

• At the start of the season playing 442, Sam Wood was scoring goals and getting assists (mainly for Peter Murphy).
    Now, we've reverted to 433 with Wood in the midfield 3, he's not out wide as much, not scoring goals, not getting assists.
    No coincidence Woods switch in position has also coincided with Murphy's goal drought.

• Have to agree, I think Woody is wasted in the middle and I am still not convinced by Hogan. Holloway and McClure would have been more effective last night in my opinion.

• @clifty04 said:
    At the start of the season playing 442, Sam Wood was scoring goals and getting assists (mainly for Peter Murphy).
    Now, we've reverted to 433 with Wood in the midfield 3, he's not out wide as much, not scoring goals, not getting assists.
    No coincidence Woods switch in position has also coincided with Murphy's goal drought.

Spot on. Very good point. Pedantic point - shouldn't that be "providing" assists? Murphy "gets" them (or at least he used to).

• Ooh, that's harshly pedantic. Gasroom 2.0 - a new level of pedantry!

• The team selection the last few weeks has been screaming out for a return to 4-4-2. Sam Wood is at his best when running up the left touch line and providing balls into the box.

• @BlueBoy said:
    The team selection the last few weeks has been screaming out for a return to 4-4-2. Sam Wood is at his best when running up the left touch line and providing balls into the box.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Fingers crossed that management see it that way after tuesday's debacle.