Skip to content

Saturday 3pm TV football

Notice the FA Cup semi final is on TV.

I thought there was a ban on live tv broadcast of football at this time - especially when other scheduled league matches are taking place of which there are 3 in Premier League. Is there a reason this one is allowed or is this the start of the dismantling of this rule?

(And yes I do visit Vipienne on a Saturday afternoon, especially while stuck in hospital, so it’s a genuine question rather than being uptight and saying it shouldn’t be allowed)

Comments

• Maybe a recent change, but I think the FA Cup is exempt? The rule will soon be gone anyway.

• edited April 2022

And this one kicks off at 3.30 rather than 3, so maybe that's a condition of it? Not that it makes much difference!

• Isn't it special dispensation to allow fans to travel to Wembley and back in the day due to train disruption? If it wasn't for the FA desperately still clawing back money they would of sensibly played the game closer to the 2 teams. Shows where the priorities lie

• Re: the 3pm blackout, it'll stay for as long as it is financially convenient for clubs. The second they feel that the balance between monetising streams and getting people through the door and spending money in the ground shifts towards selling large amounts of streaming 'tickets', they'll be all for it.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    And this one kicks off at 3.30 rather than 3, so maybe that's a condition of it? Not that it makes much difference!!

The current broadcast restriction is between 3 and 5, not dependent on ko time or scheduled finish of the match. That’s why I was surprised to see it on TV.

• edited April 2022

If the game kicks off before 3 then it's allowed to eat into the blackout - happened with Kidderminster v West Ham

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    If the game kicks off before 3 then it's allowed to eat into the blackout - happened with Kidderminster v West Ham

Can understand if it was scheduled to finish before the tv blackout period and was extended for some reason that an exception might be made, but that doesn’t explain why a scheduled 3:30 ko is being shown.

• That said, it got broken earlier in the season for the CWC final

• Seems pretty odd having an FA cup semi final on when league games are on.

But then the magic has long been broken having FA cup finals held the same day as league games. Although at a different time.