Skip to content

Injuries

Any news on injured players and when they are expected back?

Gape (last played February 26)
Stewart (last played April 2)
Thompson (last played February 19)
Kaikai (last played February 26)

Was Freeman ruled out for the season?

Gape has been unlucky this season with injuries; was missing at the start of season and then came back and got injured again in November, came back in February and featured for two games and has not played since.

Kaiki scored in two consecutive in February and has been missing since.

With Wing being banned for three games, it would be really good to have Thompson or Gape back.

Comments

• Ah, injury news. A classic Gasroom debate!

• Mehmeti looked very laboured coming off today so hope it is a soft tissue rather than ligament or bone injury and some rest and light training will see him back on Friday

Gape appeared to have and come through a pre match fitness test last time we played at home so is likely on the fringes of the match day squad

Stewart reportedly took a knock in training hence Forino playing the last 2 games (incredibly well in my book and making it tough to drop him)

Not sure about Kaikai as havent heard anything other than he was seen in the car park at the last home game

Thompson was last seen on crutches so probably out for the season

Freeman is back to light training but not likely to be risked in the last few games

• Ryan said on comms that Mehmeti had been carrying something

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Ryan said on comms that Mehmeti had been carrying something

The team, evidently.

• That's very harsh on Hanlan, who was excellent I thought

• Kaikai isn’t injured, he’s not making the squad. Gape is also fit again.

Gareth has mentioned both not making the squad due to selection decisions several times in recent post match interviews.

• @eric_plant said:
    That's very harsh on Hanlan, who was excellent I thought

Please tell that to the idiot who stood behind me at the game, who took issue with Hanlan from the second he came on. He got an earful back from surrounding supporters towards the end of the game.

He was quiet and not at his best for large spells but still offered plenty and won several battles he had no right to.

• @eric_plant said:

I thought he was excellent too, but I can't work out what part of this thread is harsh on him. Just that he's not being mentioned as an obvious replacement for Mehmeti?

• It was in response to Shev saying Mehmeti had been carrying the team

• Thomo was seen on his social media in the gym at the training ground doing some resistance band work on his knee
    on Thursday, not sure he is ‘back on the grass’ yet so probably won’t reappear till the playoffs (!)

• @eric_plant said:

I was being facetious - there have been lots of standouts besides Mehmeti, and I agree on Mustard.

• edited April 2022

Assume no-one was at the game who has posted so far, as no-one has pointed out that Kaikai was being put through his paces by Bloomfield and David Waites pre game. Looked fit enough.

Tough call for Gareth next week.

If we keep the same formation, Hanlan is a strong option to cover Mehmeti, probably quite unlucky not to have been starting anyway.

But that Wing replacement is tough.
    Is Young ready to step in? Surely he's ahead of Gape at least.
    Or do we move McCleary or Horgan back, and bring Kaikai in?
    Is Wheeler an obvious answer?

Huge call, and in such a big game.

• It'll be Young or Wheeler

• @BlueBoy said:

@eric_plant said:

Please tell that to the idiot who stood behind me at the game, who took issue with Hanlan from the second he came on. He got an earful back from surrounding supporters towards the end of the game.

He was quiet and not at his best for large spells but still offered plenty and won several battles he had no right to.

Was that the guy with the red jacket in the back row who called Hanlan a lazy c***? If you were the person who called him out, well said (as I mentioned at the time).

• edited April 2022

@NewburyWanderer said:

@BlueBoy said:

@eric_plant said:

Was that the guy with the red jacket in the back row who called Hanlan a lazy c***? If you were the person who called him out, well said (as I mentioned at the time).

How the heck could anyone call Hanlan lazy? He's always sprinting onto balls and working hard.

Always a few who can't keep their behaviour and opinions sensible though.

I thought the Gillingham stewards were very tolerant with some clown boozing it up in the stand. Most stewards would haul you out for that, but their marshal just wandered up, ripped the drink off him and no more said.

• @Malone said:

@NewburyWanderer said:

@BlueBoy said:

@eric_plant said:

How the heck could anyone call Hanlan lazy? He's always sprinting onto balls and working hard.

I’ve got an idea why they would call Hanlan lazy.

• @Chris said:

@Malone said:

@NewburyWanderer said:

@BlueBoy said:

@eric_plant said:

I’ve got an idea why they would call Hanlan lazy.

Mmhmm

• @NewburyWanderer said:

@BlueBoy said:

@eric_plant said:

To be fair to the guy in the red jacket and his mate, they were pretty supportive of the team(except Hanlan). They were talking some sense in the first half but there was absolutely no need to call him a lazy c?nt though so I called him out on it, although I was probably a little harsh with my riposte!

Apologised to him after the game. Sometimes we show our frustration because we all just want Wycombe to win and it means so much to us all.

I thought a draw was a fair result, Gillingham played like a team fighting for their lives and we couldn’t get the same control we had at Cambridge. Horgan and Wing have been excellent recently but neither were given any time on the ball by their midfield.

Wing has certainly given Ainsworth a headache with a shocking challenge. Definite red. Only time will tell how costly that might be.

Not sure how we approach Plymouth without Wing & probably Mehmeti. Hopefully GA and Dobbo come up with a master plan, a scrappy 1-0 will do. COYB!

• Regarding Gape, I think he is significantly underrated based on being out of the side for so long. With the caveat that he might not have time to play himself into form, I would much prefer him to Wheeler in the middle. We got promoted with Dom in that spot.

• The brief spell Gape was back in the team was the best he's ever played for us.

• I always thought the idea for a successful team was consistency, so if the team is doing well you make as few changes as possible. That means some players miss out without having run over Gareth's dog, lost his confidence or being finished.

• Gape is a better defensive mid than Wheeler. Wheeler is better played attacking mid where he can use his excellent heading ability to help build the attack.

• Wheeler was excellent alongside Knight but in more of a box-to-box role when we played that 4-2-31/4-1-4-1 last season. He's a good disruptor - leads the league for interceptions among midfielders - but hasn't had a solid run in the side this season, one which started late for him cause of Covid - which he then got again.

• Obviously agree Gape is better in that kind of role as it's more natural to him, but I doubt we'd throw him straight back in.

• edited April 2022

@Commoner said:

@NewburyWanderer said:

@BlueBoy said:

@eric_plant said:

To be fair to the guy in the red jacket and his mate, they were pretty supportive of the team(except Hanlan). They were talking some sense in the first half but there was absolutely no need to call him a lazy c?nt though so I called him out on it, although I was probably a little harsh with my riposte!

Apologised to him after the game. Sometimes we show our frustration because we all just want Wycombe to win and it means so much to us all.

I don’t think you were harsh on him at all. You just beat me to calling him out for a second time, which is probably a good thing as I was getting pretty wound up by him and the game at that point.

I disagree that he and his mate were supportive and making sense. Some of what they were saying made me doubt they’d ever seen some of our players before. Each fan is entitled to their opinion though, but they went too far with the abuse of Hanlan.

• Hanlan has been fantastic for us this season. I think the settled team we have had lately has meant he is the unfortunate odd one out, but when I think of our future, Hanlan, Mehmeti and Forino are the most exciting young aspects of it.

• Totally agree @Shev. Was going to add Lewis Wing but was surprised to find that he’ll be 27 in a couple of months. Still young in our squad though! And it looks very likely that Young Jack will become a fan’s favourite. From what little I’ve seen of him, I got the impression that he may combine the qualities of Scowen and Wing.

• @BlueBoy said:

@Commoner said:

@NewburyWanderer said:

@BlueBoy said:

@eric_plant said:

I don’t think you were harsh on him at all. You just beat me to calling him out for a second time, which is probably a good thing as I was getting pretty wound up by him and the game at that point.

I disagree that he and his mate were supportive and making sense. Some of what they were saying made me doubt they’d ever seen some of our players before. Each fan is entitled to their opinion though, but they went too far with the abuse of Hanlan.

Absolutely loathe it when people have a go at individual players in an abusive manner.

• @drcongo said:
    The brief spell Gape was back in the team was the best he's ever played for us.

And he was involved in quite a few attacking moves as well.