Skip to content

Players' signature moves

So the idea of this is just whether there are particular shots/tricks/signature moves/whatever you associate with a particular player, and if so what are they.

For me:

1) To this day, I refer to a pea-roller of a shot, straight at the keeper, as a "Stonebridge".
2) Sticking with the bridge theme, I will always think of a headed flick-on to nowhere, with no-one to pick it up, as a "Faulconbridge"
3) A long diagonal pass has to be Stefan Oakes' signature move for me - they're not super-common for WW these days but Spain in the Euros did it a lot to Fernan Torres. The spirit of Oakes still lives.
4) The world's slowest step-overs, but somehow they still worked - Mr Darren Currie
5) Blatantly backing into the defender, yet still somehow still winning free kicks - Tommy Mooney
6) I will always remember Gus Uhlenbeek for having a broad grin on his face every time he got away with a shitty niggly little foul - which he did a fair amount (see also: Steve Brown)
7) Scott Rendell's stuttering penalty run-ups - and to be fair he was pretty damn consistent from the spot
8) Sergio - giving the ball away a ton during mazy runs, then scrapping like a demon to get it back

any more?

Comments

• Sido Jombati somehow curling his leg around an attacker at an improbable angle and taking the ball off them.

I seem to remember Ainsworth often kicking the ball in a distinct style, perhaps with an unusual part of his foot. I don’t know how to describe this better.

• Alan Beeton getting chalky boots

• The Chris Marsh stepover....

• More recently:

• Rocky's stuttering run up for his goal kicks.

• JJ backing into his opponent when the balls in the air and ducking down, normally winning either a free kick or a throw in.

• edited April 2022

When Jason Cousins used to run at full pelt his head used to nod up and down.
    We used to refer it as 'Jason Cousins wanking head'.

• Every Glyn Creaser header, I can still hear the thud, propelled like a cannonball.

• Tyson was brilliant in his first spell at racing through the offside trap and then drawing the foul from the last man.

Betsy used to get to the byline and try and take on about 4 players rather than cross. Exciting and frustrating in equal measure!

• Nick Freeman completely changing direction in an instant like a 2D computer character from the 80s.

• If ever there is a risk of head trauma, often wise to do a Jakubiak.

• Marcus Beans legendary throw ins....

• I often refer to a full back winning a foul by being “pushed over” as a JJ. He’s the master of winning free kicks when backed into a corner.

• Nick Freeman jinking to the byline and standing up a high cross to the far post

• @Gary said:
    More recently:

• Rocky's stuttering run up for his goal kicks.

• JJ backing into his opponent when the balls in the air and ducking down, normally winning either a free kick or a throw in.

JJ did exactly this after about half an hour today. Immediately thought of this comment

• Ainsworth starting off with chalk on his boots before running inward to win a header from a goal kick.

• Anyone standing still in the middle of a field is surely Aylotting.

• No @DevC, I won't have that. Aylotting is attempting to head a ball that's less than 10cm off the ground.

• Andy Kerr had a tiny steps style of running !!

• After Lee Holsgrove had left us for Aldershot, due to his running style he became known as 'The Prancing Horse'.

• John Cornforth's negative/backwards pass

• Tony Hemmings kicking the ball 20 yards ahead of him and then sprinting after it

• Running flat out without seemingly making any forward progress at all is Shepharding after Former physio Jock Shephard. You knew it was a serious injury if the player was not back on his feet long before Jock reached him.
    One game the opposition had a Jock twin looking physio and following a clash the two physios had a slow motion race the width of the field which Jock won by a nose. By far the highlight of the season.

• The 'Alan Beeton Jockey', he would stand off the winger from about 10 yards, the winger would then promptly whip in a pin point cross onto one of his team mates heads. As 'Beeton again' looked on in bewilderment.

• The Danny Senda sprinting overlap (usually after giving the ball to Betsy).

Richard Harris long throws. Seemed strange at the time to see a centre forward taking the throws!

• @ChasHarps said:
    The 'Alan Beeton Jockey', he would stand off the winger from about 10 yards, the winger would then promptly whip in a pin point cross onto one of his team mates heads. As 'Beeton again' looked on in bewilderment.

His son, who is around 18 or so I think, popped up on the facebook group a few months back.
    That was enough to make a lot of us feel old!!

• Terry Evans coming from behind a striker and winning a header 2 feet above the strikers head. Striker then falls to ground absolutely nailed by Big Tel. Free kick to opponent on the half way line.

• Castledining: The act of putting yourself front and centre of photographs. Can also be used to describe the act of taking credit for something to which you actually contributed very little.

• Surely Dave Carroll's unique dribbling technique for wrongfooting defenders has to be up there. All records of it were recorded on VHS's, but the juddering movements can't all have been due to poor tracking on my mum's knackered video recorder.

• Micky Hollifield head seem to sink into his shoulders when he ran.

• Paul Hyde very deliberately looked over each shoulder before kicking out of hands. My mate said it was because he had been caught out in the past by a cheeky 'hiding in the goal' striker in the past