Skip to content

Agents fees

According to this we’ve spent over £250K on agents fees in the last twelve months. That feels like an awful lot.

Comments

• That'll happen when you sign Sam Vokes

• I'd imagine Sam Vokes' agent trousered a few quid to get that deal over the line.

I don't know though

• edited March 2022

An indication that Ainsworth could land himself in some hot water if we crumble toward the end of the season.

Unlikely though! We usually finish well.

• There’s a new ‘big 5’ in this league…and we’re part of it

• Man City paid £35M!!!!!

• What kind of pillock puts a table like that together, and sorts it alphabetically?

• edited March 2022

@drcongo said:
    What kind of pillock puts a table like that together, and sorts it alphabetically?

That would be the FA - that's their format

• Sunderland, Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday average in the top 30 attendances in the country! We are mixing it with them! Love our club!

• Nice to see that Derby were able to spend £1m on agents in last summer's transfer window.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@drcongo said:
    What kind of pillock puts a table like that together, and sorts it alphabetically?

That would be the FA - that's their format

Of course!

• @Ed_ said:
    Nice to see that Derby were able to spend £1m on agents in last summer's transfer window.

Probably not as clear as that, also I'd imagine they are paying agents now to help get players to leave. They should be.

• I don't want to spread the Derby fiasco into another thread so I will keep it short - experience tells us that what Derby are doing is often at variance with what they should be doing.

• Agents fees are more relevant IMHO in the context of transfer fees paid. If Wycombe for example has paid to 250k in fees but 50k in fees then I’m good. Middlemen have been used to secure exits from contracts etc. But in the era of undisclosed it’s a lot harder I guess

• @frequentstander said:
    An indication that Ainsworth could land himself in some hot water if we crumble toward the end of the season.

Sam Vokes and Josh Scowen have both had great seasons so not sure what hot water he will have landed himself in.

• @frequentstander said:

I think all the marque signings have been successes so crumble or no crumble (I think fizzle out rather than crumble is more likely) he's good with board and fans alike on that front.

• Apple or rhubarb is my favourite crumble, but has anyone tried mango?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Agents fees are more relevant IMHO in the context of transfer fees paid. If Wycombe for example has paid to 250k in fees but 50k in fees then I’m good. Middlemen have been used to secure exits from contracts etc. But in the era of undisclosed it’s a lot harder I guess

I think I understand what you’re saying @TheAndyGrahamFanClub (and goodness knows what nonsense I’d come out with at such an ungodly hour) but, without knowing the basis of such substantial fees, it’s a little disappointing. Not sure if I’m ‘good’ about it.

• @LX1 said:
    Apple or rhubarb is my favourite crumble, but has anyone tried mango?

Apple and blackcurrant is great.

• Will 'why no new players? Rob C has no ambition and needs to open his checkbook' morph into 'we can't afford agent's fees on that level why is Rob C killing our club?'?

• @Wendoverman Different contributors have different perspectives. What's yours?

• Thanks for the explanation and the opportunity @our_frank . My view is...if you buy players you pay agents. If you buy good players you probably pay more in agents fees. If there is a demand Rob C buys good players, for example The Player who would have/will ensure survival/promotion, and the manager makes a stab at that, then I would hope that would be appreciated by posters demanding ambition and 'no new players???' The thought that that Ainsworth bloke might be in the shit after spending money on decent players and not getting promotion surprises me, personally. As you point out other opinions are available and welcomed in the safe space that is The Gasroom. No slapping here.

• yeah - well put. Although again I don't think it's the The Player poster who is expressing concern about the level of these fees.

It feels excessive to me, but I suspect the price of getting Vokes would also seem OTT to me. For all the amusement about hanging out with the "big clubs" we don't have their turnover and it feels like a pretty risky level of expenditure. I'm not saying it's a "shit or bust" strategy, but it's not sustainable in the long-term without a return to the Championship and that's far from guaranteed.

• To be honest, it's not guaranteed I'm going to be sustainable enough to pay my energy bills come October! My WW season ticket/subscription is going to be part of a very tough financial discussion in Wendoverman Towers.

• @our_frank said:
    yeah - well put. Although again I don't think it's the The Player poster who is expressing concern about the level of these fees.

It feels excessive to me, but I suspect the price of getting Vokes would also seem OTT to me. For all the amusement about hanging out with the "big clubs" we don't have their turnover and it feels like a pretty risky level of expenditure. I'm not saying it's a "shit or bust" strategy, but it's not sustainable in the long-term without a return to the Championship and that's far from guaranteed.

Your last sentence hits the nail on the head. I'm fine for the Couhigs to talk about getting promotion ASAP, but it's a bit concerning if they're spending in that way too.

Sam Vokes is a wonderful footballer, and it's a privilege to watch im play for us, but there is no such thing as value for money when it comes to agents.

• @Wendoverman said:
    To be honest, it's not guaranteed I'm going to be sustainable enough to pay my energy bills come October! My WW season ticket/subscription is going to be part of a very tough financial discussion in Wendoverman Towers.

Aside from the political stuff, @Wendoverman’s posts rarely fail to amuse. A wonderful way with words. I can’t believe that someone would have given this one the thumbs down (now counteracted by yours truly) unless the element of “many a true word spoken in jest” was taken more seriously than @Wendoverman intended. Trying to see into people’s minds is an endlessly fascinating pursuit. ?

• One thumbs down is a good for me @micra . :smile: For the record I was being serious, with one still working and one on a risible NHS pension, whatever Sam Vokes agent's fees were I might not be able to shell out for subs next season to watch this every week!

• Thumbs up from me @Wendoverman.

• Two fingers up from me @Wendoverman!

• One finger up me from @Wendoverman.

I'm seeing a real doctor next time though mate.

• Never knew @Wendoverman was a quack!