Skip to content

Flashing floodlights are a crazy safety hazard!

I’m probably the last person to support all the latest Health & Safety diktats but the flashing floodlights at the end of the match are a serious safety hazard.

As people are exiting the stands down steps it’s ridiculous to have your view blanketed by flashing floodlights that render it dark then light again. This is especially so for older people and those with indifferent eyesight. We’ve already had some nasty accidents coming out of the Main Stand this year. To exacerbate the risks is crazy. No more please!!!

Comments

• I'm in agreement with that. If you're of advancing years and with early stage cataracts, the change in lighting/flashing is very disorienting and just as you're negotiating the steps.
    My other massive gripe is TURN THE BLOODY FA STAND LIGHTS OFF AT KO NOT 10+ MINUTES INTO THE GAME (BOTH HALVES!!!). Seems to be happening more regularly. Does the Safety Officer drive a night with his interior lights full on?

• @ValleyWanderer - could the lights on for a few minutes at start of each half be deliberate to assist late arrivals to their seats, especially those of advancing years and early stage cataracts?

• Late arrivals should have to wait for a break in play like at the theatre, then be taken to their seat by a torch-wielding usher who also has a tray over ludicrously overpriced Haagen Dazs for half time.

• @carrickblue said:
    @ValleyWanderer - could the lights on for a few minutes at start of each half be deliberate to assist late arrivals to their seats, especially those of advancing years and early stage cataracts?

Sounds very sensible @carrickblue. Hope you’re feeling reasonably ok pending the op (or have you already had it?)

• Ludicrously overpriced Beachdean I think you'll find.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Late arrivals should have to wait for a break in play like at the theatre, then be taken to their seat by a torch-wielding usher who also has a tray over ludicrously overpriced Haagen Dazs for half time.

And an overpriced programme.

• I think the flashing lights thing right on the final whistle. Understand it’s not so helpful a few minutes later when people are leaving.

• @carrickblue said:
    @ValleyWanderer - could the lights on for a few minutes at start of each half be deliberate to assist late arrivals to their seats, especially those of advancing years and early stage cataracts?

Or to help @Wendoverman open his crisp packets without spilling their precious contents!

• If they got the coordination right they could light up the dark moments with bursts from fireworks.

• If this is a genuine health and safety concern, have the club been notified? I'm not sure the Gasroom is that powerful.

• @mooneyman said:

@carrickblue said:

Or to help @Wendoverman open his crisp packets without spilling their precious contents!

Crumpled up packages correctly placed in pockets act as padding for any trippages.

• @micra said:

Hope you’re feeling reasonably ok pending the op (or have you already had it?)

Feeling good, physically and mentally. Still waiting and likely to be RVH Belfast until end of April.

• edited March 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:
    If this is a genuine health and safety concern, have the club been notified? I'm not sure the Gasroom is that powerful.

Where's the fun in that! Better to have little subtle digs at the owners through the gassy.

• Perhaps the club shop could start selling branded head torches?

• Crazy safety hazard or serious safety hazard?

• I don’t think they are a safety hazard. Stay sat down if you are concerned ?

• I'm a Facilities Manager and I cringe everytime I enter AP.