Skip to content

Man of the Match - Fleetwood (H)

Not the greatest display.

Poll not found

Comments

• JJ for me. This was a hard choice but not for the usual reasons.

• Ain’t nobody/like McCarthy

• Horgan - we looked a lot less fluent when he went off. McCarthy had a fantastic game too, back to his best.

• I went Horgan as well but it was close over Scowen. Both superb today.

• Horgan for me too, we looked a much poorer attacking outfit after he went off

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    • As McCarthy and Horgan are among the few starting players not to have won a MOTM award, it looks like one of them will break that duck.

• Scowen for me, the second game in a row. In fairness McCarthy is a very good shout though.

• Horgan again (but also pleased with Macca's uptick in form).

• McCarthy all day long

• Horgan, easy

• Wing for me. Really steadied the ship in a distinctly tired-looking midfield. Excellent lateral passes which really opened the game up and turned the screw on Fleetwood before his substitution. I hope Ainsworth is merely 'managing his minutes' with that change! He's been our best player in recent games in my opinion.

McCarthy had a solid game, covering a lot of ground and silencing many of his doubters recently in a back 4, but wasn't really tested at all defensively. Besides his goal, his end product left a bit to be desired.

• Scowen for me tonight, he really is some player.

Can't begrudge McCarthy too much mind. Stockdale also played a key role, 3 handy saves at key moments.

Quick mention to Horgan and Taf, but elsewhere was pretty average across the board.

• I haven't to say I've not been as disappointed with McCarthy as some on here. I think he has always linked well with GMac. His crossing today should have resulted in a couple of goals had we been firing.

• Stockdale - made some good saves early on that meant we only needed the one (very late) goal

• Daryl Horgan, seems to be finding some really decent form for us, all that's missing now is a goal or two. Jason McCarthy (or James as the 3CR guy called him) a close second, back to something like his best.

• McCarthy for me, even before his goal

• A fair few contenders for me but Scowen seemed to be involved all over the place and kept them firmly in check. Not the most glamorous job in the team but he does it so brilliantly and so consistently.

• @Alexo said:
      McCarthy for me, even before his goal

I agree, but the fact that people have nominated so many contenders suggests that we played better than some posters have said. We had twice as many shots as Fleetwood and although they defended so well they can’t argue that we didn’t deserve to win.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Alexo said:
      McCarthy for me, even before his goal

I agree, but the fact that people have nominated so many contenders suggests that we played better than some posters have said. We had twice as many shots as Fleetwood and although they defended so well they can’t argue that we didn’t deserve to win.

We definitely deserved to win - but they were shocking. It was more a case of Wycombe operating at 6/10 and Fleetwood at 3/10 rather than Wycombe at 8/10 and Fleetwood 6/10.

• I did not think an injury ravaged team full of inexperienced youngsters...who actually had the best of the first ten minutes and could have gone in 2 up...were shocking. And as for us not unlike the Shrewsbury game we did everything except score until we scored. We were trying to pass it on he floor as we all demanded and were coming up a bit short.

• @Wendoverman said:
      I did not think an injury ravaged team full of inexperienced youngsters...who actually had the best of the first ten minutes and could have gone in 2 up...were shocking. And as for us not unlike the Shrewsbury game we did everything except score until we scored. We were trying to pass it on he floor as we all demanded and were coming up a bit short.

Were their chances created through genuine skill or caused by Wycombe's mistakes? I'd argue the latter. Stewart made a weak challenge in a (unusually) high line position and bobbled the ball directly into the path of Butterfield in a prime position to score...

As we found out when we resorted to long ball, yesterday's Fleetwood were poor - and that's why they've picked up only three points from a possible 27.

The Fleetwood side we played at Highbury earlier this season (far fewer injuries) was far better.

If we play like we played in the opening 25 minutes yesterday against a better side, we'll be on the receiving end of an early drubbing similar to the Sunderland away of our promotion season.

That said, I'm not being overly critical in the grand scheme of things. We've been excellent this season. We've lost multiple games that I thought we deserved to win or at least draw. I think we'll just about make playoffs - but we need to resort to going direct again on Saturday away to Pompey and we need multiple changes because of the fixture congestion we've had. We looked tired yesterday.

Of course I respect your opinion might be different! No harm intended!

• I think I get what @frequentstander is saying. You don’t need to worry about how well Fleetwood played in front of your eyes last night. Just look at their record and where they are in the league. That is how they played.