Skip to content

Anyone been to a game, and didn't know the correct score.

Back in the 1985/86 Gola lge season, Wanderers were 1 nil down to Telford at Loakes Park. Me and My pal went for a pint in the Blues club at Half time. Telford only had a handful of fans at Loakes that day, we must of missed the first couple of minutes in the second half, finishing off our MCewans lager.
Unusually we went through the door by the PA announcer from the bar into the stand. Whist in the Blues Club Telford went 2 up straight after half time, but we heard no cheers and were completely oblivious of this goal.
About 10 mins from Time, Westy scored (what we thought was the equaliser) and the crowd were willing Wanderers to score again (what we thought was the winner)
Back in the Blues club after the match, we were totally unaware we had lost 2-1, it was either the vidiprinter or Reg Holt putting the score board up, that we we question the wrong score was put up, then other fans had to tell us we had lost and not drawn.
Anyone else had similar experiences?

Comments

• Away at Dagenham & Redbridge some years ago, we put the ball in the net down the far end of the ground (so, the home end). Enthusiastic celebrations followed from the Chairboys fans. In the midst of all that, I weirdly failed to notice that Dagenham hadn't kicked off from the centre spot, and the ref had actually given a free-kick to them instead. Must have been a good 15 minutes or so before I realised that our 'goal' had actually been disallowed.

• When we lost 5-4 to Macc my grandad missed their equaliser to make it 4-4 - I think he nipped to the gents after we went 4-3 up and the equaliser came very shortly after.

He then saw the 5th goal but believed that to their 4th.

After the game that he remarked we’d done well to get a draw having been 3-0 down after 10 mins. Much confusion followed as it was explained we’d actually lost!

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Away at Dagenham & Redbridge some years ago, we put the ball in the net down the far end of the ground (so, the home end). Enthusiastic celebrations followed from the Chairboys fans. In the midst of all that, I weirdly failed to notice that Dagenham hadn't kicked off from the centre spot, and the ref had actually given a free-kick to them instead. Must have been a good 15 minutes or so before I realised that our 'goal' had actually been disallowed.

I had an almost identical one at Leyton Orient in the early days of Miguel De Souza.

• edited March 2022

The 'Hand of God' England v Argentina WCQF 1986 had one of those. Barnesy with the cross, Lineker nods home, Everyone goes wild (2-2, we thought, back from 0-2). Then someone points out we're taking a corner, after the Argie defender had made a miraculous clearance off the line that no-one saw in the fog of spilt beer and flying bodies (what these days would be described as serious limbs...)

• edited March 2022

Not a live game, but in the run-in to the 2017-18 season we got a hard earned 0-0 away to Lincoln (the 43rd game). Matt Rhead had a goal disallowed for Lincoln before halftime, but at that point iFollow did not have any commentary, or a posted score, and having somehow missed the flag, I spent the rest of the game thinking we were 1-0 behind, and had lost at the end. 0-0 felt like a win later on!

• I recall that when we were debating on the old gasroom the issue of the long-running scoreboard faults, @oilysailor often used to quip, "When have you ever been at a game and not known the score?" More often than he'd reckoned on, I guess.

• QPR v Chelsea in the very late 70s. My mate & I standing in the QPR end noted we had been "infiltrated" by a load of Chelsea fans, so we had to keep quiet. QPR score with a fantastic header, so we just looked down and clenched our fists with glee.
    Wasn't until after the game that we were driving back along the A40 when listening to "Sports Report" on BBC2 that the result was announced as 0-0? We hadn't realised the referee had disallowed the goal, really felt like a defeat!

• @Glenactico said:
    When we lost 5-4 to Macc my grandad missed their equaliser to make it 4-4 - I think he nipped to the gents after we went 4-3 up and the equaliser came very shortly after.

He then saw the 5th goal but believed that to their 4th.

After the game that he remarked we’d done well to get a draw having been 3-0 down after 10 mins. Much confusion followed as it was explained we’d actually lost!

Your grandad also missed 2 very late goals scored by Man Utd v Stockport, early 80's at Old Trafford in the League Cup.
    Left the ground with Stockport 2-1 up - to avoid any hooligan behaviour from the Man Utd fans - and missed a goal direct from a free kick and an injury time winning penalty

• @Shev We did a lot of time-wasting that evening. You must've been so confused in the second half!

Mine isn't a goal, but I had absolutely no idea Ofoborh had been sent off in that 1-0 home win v Pompey a few years back. I think it took about 15-20 minutes to register, and that was only because I checked the BBC sport app to see who we had on the bench!

• My (current) wife’s second game (in a grand total of 4 so far). Morecambe away in the FA Trophy (sold on a weekend away in Blackpool).

Morecambe had a goal disallowed but she has no knowledge of football and failed to understand why I was quite happy at the end of the game as she was convinced we had lost 2-1 (drew 1-1, won replay, won Trophy that season)

• @Last_Quarter said:
    @Shev We did a lot of time-wasting that evening. You must've been so confused in the second half!

Mine isn't a goal, but I had absolutely no idea Ofoborh had been sent off in that 1-0 home win v Pompey a few years back. I think it took about 15-20 minutes to register, and that was only because I checked the BBC sport app to see who we had on the bench!

We did seem a little too gleeful at the final whistle at having snatched a 1-0 defeat!

• edited March 2022

I seem to remember the recently discussed 3-3 draw with Kidderminster was widely report in papers as a 3-2 Wycombe win. To the point where I believed the press and not what I’d seen with my own eyes.

• Not quite what this thread is about but a mate of my brother's had to check the '91 FA Trophy score on the Teletext the following morning because he'd got so hammered and had no idea if we'd won

• There was definitely one time my match watching pal's criminal lack of grammar cost me.

I can't remember the exact wording, but I think he'd sent a text asking a question bout a result, but hadn't put a question mark.
    Therefore, I took his text as being a statement of fact that we'd won the game, going out happy.

It was only later I'd checked and took it up with him!

• The kiddy final was awash with drunkeness, The Flint appeared to open about 7am in the morning.
    I arrived at Wembley about 08.30 in the morning and there were already thousands of Wanderers fans milling about.
    The keeper of my local Sunday league team was so pissed, that he passed out on the khazi at 1-1 and missed Westy's glorious winner.

• Nick Freeman

• @eric_plant said:
    Not quite what this thread is about but a mate of my brother's had to check the '91 FA Trophy score on the Teletext the following morning because he'd got so hammered and had no idea if we'd won

I fell asleep on Amersham Hill after the celebrations in the Antelope that night.

• Ahh, the Antelope, brings back some memories of my student days many many moons ago. AKA, "The Sticky Carpet"!

• Went to watch Oxford play Pompey back in the early 90s - must have been just after the back pass rule came in. Bit foggy, plenty of defensive chaos, some late, late goals, a less than moden or reliable scoreboard. The record books show it finished 5-5 but even among those of us watching, there was no clear agreement as to the actual score.

• In the 1970s myself and a mate drove around Newcastle going in and out of pubs and cafes trying not to find out the score of an England match that was due to be shown that evening on the BBC. Much hilarity ensued. Or did I dream that?

• Not a goal but I remember at Col U away in 2000 when Alan Beeton was on the end of a horror challenge and a mass brawl broke out. We were appalled that the ref hadn't sent off their player but it turned out he had. Due to the fight and awful view from the away end (plus the fact it was right by the tunnel) we'd missed the red card being branded and the player making his way off the pitch. It was only much later on when we counted up the opposing players that we realised they were one short.

• edited March 2022

I remember one or two missing Ofoborh getting sent off v Pompey. At least you can instantly check nowadays!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I remember one or two missing Ofoborh getting sent off v Pompey. At least you can instantly check nowadays!

Missing sending offs at Portsmouth has surely be done much better by Chris Kamara.

• I don't know, Jeff, has there? I must have missed that.

• I didn’t know @Right_in_the_Middle was Jeff Stelling in diskys.

• Poor old Jeff. I felt for him last night when that pen flew over the top. Will he ever see his side play at Wembley?

(back to the thread...)

• @ChasHarps said:
    Back in the 1985/86 Gola lge season, Wanderers were 1 nil down to Telford at Loakes Park. Me and My pal went for a pint in the Blues club at Half time. Telford only had a handful of fans at Loakes that day, we must of missed the first couple of minutes in the second half, finishing off our MCewans lager.
    Unusually we went through the door by the PA announcer from the bar into the stand. Whist in the Blues Club Telford went 2 up straight after half time, but we heard no cheers and were completely oblivious of this goal.
    About 10 mins from Time, Westy scored (what we thought was the equaliser) and the crowd were willing Wanderers to score again (what we thought was the winner)
    Back in the Blues club after the match, we were totally unaware we had lost 2-1, it was either the vidiprinter or Reg Holt putting the score board up, that we we question the wrong score was put up, then other fans had to tell us we had lost and not drawn.
    Anyone else had similar experiences?

I have not (knowingly). But a good friend of mine went to an England v Argentina friendly match (in Geneva bizarrely) about 15 years ago. I watched a surprisingly exhillarating game in a Leeds bar which we won 3-2 (I think Owen was the star). Next day said friend called to talk about the game (pre whatsap). Took quite a while of him saying 'great draw, before I had to politely point out we had won. He had flown back after watching the game and still didn't know. Obviously he was 'with drink'.