Skip to content

Play offs

Not wishing to pre-empt things, but...

Does anyone know the dates for the L1 play off semi finals?

Had a quick search but couldn't see them whereas previous years I've not had too much problem finding them.

Comments

• I only see the final date via that link, not semi finals?

• edited March 2022

Are the semi dates normally announced this early? I thought they didn't until the day after the end of the regular season or something.

• Normally, with the final on 21st May, you'd say SFs sometime between 5th and 15th but really it's a guess.
    Why would you expect the EFL to consider fans and give them some idea of likely dates?

• edited March 2022

The final game of the season is Saturday April 30th and the League One final is exactly three weeks later on Saturday May 21st.

My guess is the semi final dates will be Saturday/Sunday May 7th/8th and Thursday/Friday May 12th/13th.

If we finish 5th or 6th in the League then we will have the home tie first.

• Whenever Sky say they are.

• Blast, sorry @DJWYC14 Semi-finals previously shown as 7 May and 14May. But as those dates are now no longer showing, treat with a degree of caution.

• If the final’s on 21 May I’d say you can pretty much guarantee the 2nd semi won’t be any later that 12 May.

Not enough time to flog tickets.

• Look forward to some silly kick off times.

Thursdays at 6pm etc.

• I sympathise with people on this issue because I’m a fan myself and I know that I’m defending the company that has employed me for many years, but if people want to criticise uncertainty around dates and k.o. times, remember that the clubs signed up to the Sky contract and Sky are simply enforcing their contractual rights.
    TV money is a vital part of football income but with it comes fixture disruption.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I sympathise with people on this issue because I’m a fan myself and I know that I’m defending the company that has employed me for many years, but if people want to criticise uncertainty around dates and k.o. times, remember that the clubs signed up to the Sky contract and Sky are simply enforcing their contractual rights.
    TV money is a vital part of football income but with it comes fixture disruption.

Can individual clubs choose not to sign up to Sky? Or do they agree by default upon joining the league?

• I have no issue with games sometimes being moved but sky moving our home game to 12.30 against Sunderland was disgraceful.

• Moving things because they can and moving things because it works are two totally separate things.
    After a year with no fans even Sky TV must realise how important they are to their product.

• The silliest ever time slot was surely in the days of that On Digital platform moving a game away to Huddersfield or someone equally far flung to a 6.30 or 6.45 Sunday evening slot?

I'm probably sketchy on the exacts, but it was along those lines.

However, on the flip side, I still find it amazing that you can watch every game of your league 1 club these days online - truly a great time to be alive.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@glasshalffull said:
    I sympathise with people on this issue because I’m a fan myself and I know that I’m defending the company that has employed me for many years, but if people want to criticise uncertainty around dates and k.o. times, remember that the clubs signed up to the Sky contract and Sky are simply enforcing their contractual rights.

Can individual clubs choose not to sign up to Sky? Or do they agree by default upon joining the league?

My understanding is that it’s a collective deal for all the TV contracts voted on by the clubs. I remember our old friend Mel Morris at Derby tried to go it alone a few years ago. Suffice to say he failed.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    I have no issue with games sometimes being moved but sky moving our home game to 12.30 against Sunderland was disgraceful.

Very harsh on Sunderland fans of course, but Sky knew that the game would attract a big audience in the north east. At least they will be used to having fixtures moved because of their time in the PL. I’m not trying to justify it, just telling you the thinking behind choice of games.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Moving things because they can and moving things because it works are two totally separate things.
    After a year with no fans even Sky TV must realise how important they are to their product.

In the case of our game against Sunderland it worked for Sky because they knew it would attract a big audience in the north east and wasn’t going to adversely affect the attendance at Wycombe. Sky do realise the importance of having fans in the ground, but it’s a commercial organisation that makes money through subscriptions and advertising, not through gate receipts.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Moving things because they can and moving things because it works are two totally separate things.

In the case of our game against Sunderland it worked for Sky because they knew it would attract a big audience in the north east and wasn’t going to adversely affect the attendance at Wycombe. Sky do realise the importance of having fans in the ground, but it’s a commercial organisation that makes money through subscriptions and advertising, not through gate receipts.

Any thoughts on why Wayne Rooneys Derby County seem be on TV every week at the moment? Do they get the big audiences you talk about or are they trying to prop them up with extra TV money? Would be interesting to compare live Derby matches this year with live Wycombe ones last.

• At least the phoenix club can call themselves Derby County, after the name change to WRDC!

• Regarding Derby etc, there Is a contracted minimum number of televised home games for Championship clubs (I think it’s 3) but no limit on the number of away games that can be shown. Putting our obvious feelings about them aside, they are a big club (former English champions) with a large following and they are in the news almost every day. Factor in a famous manager and, like it or not, that makes them box office. I don’t know the numbers but I’ll guarantee that Fulham and Bournemouth (both with smaller fan base and less distinguished history) have been on far more often this season.