Skip to content

Who will be the next Wycombe captain?

I thought it would be interesting to discuss this in earnest, with JJ potentially not playing enough next season to keep the armband. Who do you think most likely to take the armband and why? Obviously the main factors are seniority, personality, likelihood of playing regularly, and whether you think they will still actually be here!

I have put everyone who I think is a serious candidate below.

Poll not found

Comments

• I went with Scowen. I think he is pretty nailed on to start, is a senior player, plays in the middle, and should still be here.

• Vokes, not even a contest imo. Leading from the front quite literally.

• I went for Vokes, although I fear he won't be here next season if we dont go up.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
      Vokes, not even a contest imo. Leading from the front quite literally.

I agree on his viability - it just comes down to the chances of him being here for me.

• No Anis?

• Also, I am sure someone already made this point recently, but McCarthy getting the band over Stewart speaks volumes. It does seem Stewart may be too shy for it, otherwise he would get my vote.

• edited March 2022

@drcongo said:
      No Anis?

I almost added him but put 'Other' instead, as I am thinking he may be too young to be realistically considered. He is one of my favourite players, though!

• Vokes on status and leadership, but generally don't like a striker being captain.

But then McCarthy doesn't quite feel right either, and you wouldn't necessarily make someone captain straight away on bringing them in.

• Once upon a time I thought Dom Gape was nailed on, especially as an official 'General'.

• I’m not a fan of striker captains either but our centre backs don’t seem vocal and demonstrative enough. Have to say, I’ve been quite impressed watching McCarthy step up though.

• I personally don't think it makes a blind bit of difference what position your captain plays (well, maybe if it's the goalkeeper)

• There is clearly an established order at the club regarding the armband. Stewart and Scowen are clearly low down that order, for whatever reason.

If you’re disregarding the older ‘generals’ such as JJ then Gape would seem the logical choice. We don’t seem to have an issue having a captain who doesn’t play regularly.

If I’m correct the order currently seems to be;

JJ
      Bayo
      Gape
      McCarthy
      Vokes

From memory Wheeler and Stockdale have also captained the team at least once.

It’s highly likely that three or four of those will still be here next season so I don’t see the order changing for those that are.

• Actually I’ll correct myself, I think Bayo is captain when both he and JJ start.

• You can have a club captain who may be on the way to retirement, and then your actual on pitch captain, but you surely don't promote Gape to either one , when he'll do very well to ever be a regular again?

• @Malone said:
      You can have a club captain who may be on the way to retirement, and then your actual on pitch captain, but you surely don't promote Gape to either one , when he'll do very well to ever be a regular again?

You can say the same about McCarthy.

• @mooneyman said:

@Malone said:
      You can have a club captain who may be on the way to retirement, and then your actual on pitch captain, but you surely don't promote Gape to either one , when he'll do very well to ever be a regular again?

You can say the same about McCarthy.

He's a regular currently?

• JJ misses three games and the trainer already has the shotgun out?

• JJ is our man at present

• @Wendoverman said:
      JJ misses three games and the trainer already has the shotgun out?

Do keep up, the last 2 or 3 games are always what goon fans base their whole perspective on.
      Didn't play = finished.

• As JJ is very close to 10 yellows up to game 37, maybe giving him a rest while WW have other options available is considered better that enforced two match ban. Just a thought.

• @bluenotes said:
      As JJ is very close to 10 yellows up to game 37, maybe giving him a rest while WW have other options available is considered better that enforced two match ban. Just a thought.

Bloody hell, six in his last nine games and up to nine overall. 12 in all comps!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Bloody hell, six in his last nine games and up to nine overall. 12 in all comps!

Exactly! He has been racking them up recently.

• edited March 2022

But if we're resting him because of that then we're effectively banning him anyway. Doesn't really make a difference.

• The only time you might want to leave someone out for that reason would be if they were on 14 yellows going into the final game of the regular season - 15 means you miss the play-offs.

• edited March 2022

It would make a difference if others were injured at the time that he was banned. The whole point of having a strong squad is to be able to rotate.

@bluntphil said that JJ travelled with the squad yesterday, so although not initially picked he was available if required.

• Nobody has yet mentioned Tafazolli!

I do like McCarthy and feel he represents a lot of what this club is about.
      But agree that both Vokes, Gape and Scowen are great candidates too but don't discount JJ yet!

Depending on where we end up, this summer could see a significant 'changing of the guard', depending on contracts of course.

Recent weeks have seen how the whole squad is needed and how they respond to being given an opportunity.

• @bluenotes said:
      As JJ is very close to 10 yellows up to game 37, maybe giving him a rest while WW have other options available is considered better that enforced two match ban. Just a thought.

So to avoid being without him for 2 games we've left him out for 2 games. :D

• @AlanCecil said:
      Nobody has yet mentioned Tafazolli!

I do like McCarthy and feel he represents a lot of what this club is about.
      But agree that both Vokes, Gape and Scowen are great candidates too but don't discount JJ yet!

Depending on where we end up, this summer could see a significant 'changing of the guard', depending on contracts of course.

Recent weeks have seen how the whole squad is needed and how they respond to being given an opportunity.

Probably because he has a few spells out injured, but more importantly seems a bit too laid back to be a captain.

I can imagine him casually saying "chill Winston" when it's all going mad.

• I reckon if he cut his hair and wore nice clothes all his problems would be solved. Oh, sorry, wrong thread…

• When @bluntphil commented in an interview with Tafazolli a few days ago that he always appeared very calm, his response was that he wasn’t one to wave his arms about but he did shout and scream quite a lot. Whether he got wind that a debate about the captaincy on the Gasroom was imminent, who knows?!