Skip to content

Masters Football

Some excitement around that Masters football is coming back after 11 years. As a distraction to our current form, anyone want to suggest what Wycombe's team would be? Players have to be 35+, retired (I think semi-pro is fine), played at least once for Wycombe and and still cut it running around a 6-a-side pitch. I'd go for...

GK - Nikki Bull

DF - Adam El-Abd
DF - Leon Johnson

MF - Tommy Doherty
MF - Gareth Ainsworth
MF - Sam Saunders

FW - Paul Hayes

Think that would do alright with the DF and Tommy D blocking everything, Saunders and Ainsworth running around and Hayes banging in any chances. Turns out there are a few forwards to pick from but couldn't get much of a list of defenders from memory.

Comments

• When you say masters football is coming back, is this some sort of league, or Cup?

Or just a range of friendlies?

• Ah ok, good point. It is an indoor 6-a-side tournament made up of former players, had a bit of a cult following in the early 2000s. Paul Scholes is the headline player in this year's tournament so far but likely there will be a fair few big names involved.

Tranmere won it once but mostly winners were Premier League teams or Rangers.

• Wheel out the current London Fives champions for a last hurrah.

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1994-1995/1995_05_15_london_fives.htm

• edited February 2022

I'd want Serigo Torres in midfield to create some magic and Martyn Taylor as the man between the sticks

• Can't believe I missed Sergio, definite has to be in the team! Think I'd drop Ainsworth for him.

Taylor at 55 may have lost a bit more flexibility thank Bull

• Just seen @bluntphil on Wycombe's Instagram asking people to submit their suggested teams to win a "special" prize (albeit not worrying about if they'd actually still be able to play/are alive). Glad to see they club read the Gasroom!

• edited February 2022

@FmG The source of all the great ideas...

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Wheel out the current London Fives champions for a last hurrah.

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1994-1995/1995_05_15_london_fives.htm

We mustn't, as we're forever the holders now!!

• Martini in goal, Garner up front (probably with a few martinis), Guppy and Carroll obviously, Crossley and Evans at the back.

Does six aside refer to outfield only? As the first post has a team of seven including the keeper. If I can add another, then it's Keith Ryan.

• You'd want Kashket in there. He was a pro futsal player in his younger days.

• I hope none of them stand near a coughing Matt Le Tissier or they could get wiped out!

• Smaller goals - stick Bayo in

• Not sure you want massive aerial beasts like Evans and Crossley, neither of which were noted for ball playing in a 6 aside game presumably with head height limits?

• @OxfordBlue said:
    You'd want Kashket in there. He was a pro futsal player in his younger days.

You didn't read the thread title did ya pal.

• @Malone said:
    Not sure you want massive aerial beasts like Evans and Crossley, neither of which were noted for ball playing in a 6 aside game presumably with head height limits?

Remember Tony Adams playing against Wycombe in the London Fives and I was amazed by how good he was on the small pitch. I think Sir Matt Crossley would be brilliant

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:
    Not sure you want massive aerial beasts like Evans and Crossley, neither of which were noted for ball playing in a 6 aside game presumably with head height limits?

Remember Tony Adams playing against Wycombe in the London Fives and I was amazed by how good he was on the small pitch. I think Sir Matt Crossley would be brilliant

With all due respect to Sir Matt, Tony Adams was one of the best in the country.

I'd go with Williamson as a great mix of stopper and ball player. Cheating a little being a mere 38 versus some of the 50+ guys being mooted.

• edited February 2022

Matt Harrold, is he old enough? I think he could bang the goals in, and great for penalties.

• 'it couldn't have happened to a more nughlier geek'

• (Martin O'Neill on Chucky on 'The Only Way is Up' VHS

• @drcongo said:
    Does six aside refer to outfield only? As the first post has a team of seven including the keeper. If I can add another, then it's Keith Ryan.

Good point! That was my mistake. 6 inc GK.

GK - Nikki Bull

DF - Adam El-Abd

MF - Tommy Doherty
    MF - Sergio Torres
    MF - Sam Saunders

FW - Paul Hayes

Gorman as manager and just try to win every match 9-8! Think the relative youth of this team would be the late 90s/early 00s players being mentioned

• @FmG said:

@drcongo said:

Good point! That was my mistake. 6 inc GK.

GK - Nikki Bull

DF - Adam El-Abd

MF - Tommy Doherty
    MF - Sergio Torres
    MF - Sam Saunders

FW - Paul Hayes

Gorman as manager and just try to win every match 9-8! Think the relative youth of this team would be the late 90s/early 00s players being mentioned

I’m liking the midfield, but I’d go Chuck in goal for his previous heroics at the London Fives and would put Simon Garner up front.

• @Malone said:

@OxfordBlue said:
    You'd want Kashket in there. He was a pro futsal player in his younger days.

You didn't read the thread title did ya pal.

Evidently not! I realised as soon as I'd posted but decided to roll with it.

• GK Jamie Young
    DF Mike Williamson
    MF Dannie Bulman
    MF Sergio Torres
    FW Tommy Mooney
    FW Scott McGleish

Subs
    Steve Brown (and backup GK!)
    Roger Johnson
    Keith Ryan
    Kevin Betsy

Manager
    Matt Bloomfield

• Pretty sure Jamie Young is still playing professionally in Australia, isn't he?

• @FmG said:
    Pretty sure Jamie Young is still playing professionally in Australia, isn't he?

Ah I saw it as 35 or retired not both! By the time the masters starts back up again he might be available!