Skip to content

why is this called the gasroom

isn't gasroom something filled with toxic gas
isn't that bad

Comments

• Do you want to make a positive contribution here or not?

• His name is poop

• At the very least he is our first palindromic contributor.

• @drcongo said:
    Do you want to make a positive contribution here or not?

yes

• @Ed_ said:
    At the very least he is our first palindromic contributor.

i sure am

• @OxfordBlue said:
    His name is poop

i sure am

• @Ed_ said:
    At the very least he is our first palindromic contributor.

Palindromic - yes. Contributor? - doubtful.

• Is it half-term already?

• I think he will still have no idea

• He probably thinks we all fart a lot!

• Those were the days. Is that Dave Burgess taking the kick? (If not then I'm sure @ChasHarps will put me right).

• @mooneyman said:
    He probably thinks we all fart a lot!

I’ve had my moments

• No, it’s Gary Hand.

• No my old school teacher Bobby Davies.

• No, it’s Gary Hand.

• Unless im wrong n thinking that’s the Middlesbrough game in 1975.

• @mooneyman said:

In those days, I thought I was ill if I farted a lot; nowadays, I know I’m still alive.

• @micra said:
    Unless im wrong n thinking that’s the Middlesbrough game in 1975.

That's not Middlesbrough's kit @micra

• Its deffo Bobby Davies, Gary Hand departed 7 years earlier and Budgie arrived about 3 years later.

• Some other game with a massive gate then. My apologies. I do know that Gary Hand wore the 3 shirt against Jack Charlton’s Middlesbrough though.

• I would guess Altrincham? The clue it’s not Middlesbrough is the trees at the back. Not sure they’d look like that in the first week in January

• @micra said:

@mooneyman said:

In those days, I thought I was ill if I farted a lot; nowadays, I know I’m still alive.

There’s life in the old bog yet

• @bookertease said:
    I would guess Altrincham? The clue it’s not Middlesbrough is the trees at the back. Not sure they’d look like that in the first week in January

It’s a fair cop! And the pitch certainly wasn’t in that condition in January 1975. Profuse apologies to @ChasHarps; I just couldn’t bring myself to believe that there’d been a crowd packed in like that since the Middlesbrough Cup game. Bobby Davies was a lovely guy (@ChasHarps may have a different view, of course!)
    I remember he had a torrid time in his debut game - away somewhere - but he soon settled in to become a very steady full back.

For some reason, I was at Loakes Park with mrs micra at a training session about 40 years ago (I was that obsessed) and George Borg was letting rip with the full panoply of swear words when Bobby spotted the pair of us and told George to watch his language as there was a lady present! As it happens, mrs micra is an Irish farmer’s daughter and although disappointingly restrained until provoked, she’d heard most of George’s phrase book and more from an early age.

• edited February 2022

@bookertease said:
    I would guess Altrincham? The clue it’s not Middlesbrough is the trees at the back. Not sure they’d look like that in the first week in January

The other clue in not being Middlesbrough is I don’t think they would wear a Sunderland kit. It’s Altrincham I believe.

• My first thought was Paul Birdseye, but of course he played at right back.
    I think I can spot Micky Holifield, Terry Glynn and Bobby Dell waiting in the box for the free kick/cross?

• Looks like the 3-0 defeat to Alty, FA Trophy semi-final second leg in April 1982, gate 4896.

Bobby Davies No. 3, as @ChasHarps said, and possibly Howard Kennedy next closest, looking back. Other players were Chris Way, Paul Birdseye, Steve Toll, Anton Vircavs, Bob Dell, Jimmy Jacobs, Terry Glynn, Steve Long (Paul West), and Ken Wilson.

• @Steve_Peart Correct Steve, I took that photo.

• Question

What do you notice about the stantion of the goal, that will make you look closely at it every time you watch footage again of Loakes Park at that end?

• And I also wonder how many people never noticed when they stood behind it?!