Skip to content

Derek Adams

Im sure Gareth and the rest of us will wish Derek Adams all the best after being sacked by Bradford after only 8 months.

Comments

• Scandalous. Derek has taken the biggest, best supported club in League 2 from mid table mediocrity to, erm, mid table mediocrity.

It's all Gareth Ainsworth's fault.

• Hard man to warm too.
    Did well initially at Plymouth and a remarkable achievement to get Morecambe promoted.
    Suspect he is one of those managers who can ride a successful wave but when things are not going well, his character makes it hard to turn things around.
    I’m sure he will pop up elsewhere. Wouldn’t want him anywhere near AP though.

• @DevC said:

I’m sure he will pop up elsewhere. Wouldn’t want him anywhere near AP though.

A shoe in for the job at Derby when Rooney moves on to greater things.

• Even better / worse: the Peterborough job when Ferguson finally gets the axe.

• I thought his arrogant comments on the BBC website just sums him up......thinks he is better than he is.

• I met someone once who'd met him and said he was a really nice bloke.

That's difficult to imagine from the image he portrays publicly but I had no reason to disbelieve him.

Football's always been about having pantomime villains anyway. Why spoil the fun of it all by finding out that Ken McKenna or Roy McDonough are decent chaps actually? (I've not met either)

The above does not extend to Danny Hylton btw. He is in a league of his own

• Interesting debate going on in sport in general over coaches and managers working their sports people hard and dominating the player/coach relationship. I see Adams very much within the hardline part of any chart.

These types of coach can often be really successful in short bursts but have no loyalty or support once it all goes wrong. Those successes don't carry forward as far to see them through. The scars from pushing hard surface as soon as players get tired or a system or tactic gets sussed out. Supporters turn much quicker.

Adams will be doing ok. He'll get another job soon and be coining it in for being rubbish. Just hope he never gets employed by Wycombe.

• @eric_plant said:
    I met someone once who'd met him and said he was a really nice bloke.

That's difficult to imagine from the image he portrays publicly but I had no reason to disbelieve him.

Football's always been about having pantomime villains anyway. Why spoil the fun of it all by finding out that Ken McKenna or Roy McDonough are decent chaps actually? (I've not met either)

It's interesting as I was chatting to someone who worked quite high up in hospitality at a big club who said Eddie Howe and his assistant were the most unpleasant people she had ever dealt with. Which was a surprise to me. I mean, of course, he might think the same about her...but it was a surprise.

• edited February 2022

@Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:

It's interesting as I was chatting to someone who worked quite high up in hospitality at a big club who said Eddie Howe and his assistant were the most unpleasant people she had ever dealt with. Which was a surprise to me. I mean, of course, he might think the same about her...but it was a surprise.

That doesn't surprise me about Eddie Howe - often comes across as quite abrasive in interviews

• I am sure outside football (possibly Roy Keane aside :smile: ) most of these people are far less abrasive than they might be while working.

• I can think back to a few bosses I had in my working days being exactly like that. Lovely folk outside but not at work!

• It can go the other way, I've met a few people who seemed really likeable at work, but after spending a night out with them I decided actually they were dickheads

• Speaking of dickheads, that Bradford job has got Steve Evans written all over it

• Dev will be along shortly to ask if we think Gaz would take it if offered

• I’d have thought Bradford was quite an attractive job on the surface for an out of work manager living in the north. Potential there to ride it to the Championship if the finances behind the scene are right.

I have heard that Adams is actually a decent guy too. Hard to believe though. They are just people like everything else with human failings beneath their public personas. I have it on good authority for example that Ryan Lowe didn’t go to Preston for footballing reasons.

• Interesting that some people find Derek Adams a pleasant character. I shall remain tight lipped on my opinion of him, but suffice to say that I would be surprised if he ever figured on our short list of managerial candidates.

• It would be interesting one day to know what he said that so angered GA on that infamous day.

Love the picture in this story by the way https://www.football365.com/news/plymouth-wycombe-odd-rivalries

• @glasshalffull said:
    Interesting that some people find Derek Adams a pleasant character. I shall remain tight lipped on my opinion of him, but suffice to say that I would be surprised if he ever figured on our short list of managerial candidates.

I must say, I was surprised when I was told

• How has Michael Flynn ended up at Walsall?!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    How has Michael Flynn ended up at Walsall?!

Gareth turned it down?

• @eric_plant said:

Through work 2 or 3 years ago I drove with someone for a couple of hours who used to play with McKenna (with someone like Northwick or Morecambe)

He had nothing but good to say about him. It really was an act (so he said) to wind up opponents on the pitch. Away from it he was apparently a lovely guy

• Exactly! Who wants to know that?

• More important to respect a manager than to like them.

• Messaged a Bradford fan when he got the job, think they were hoping for a bit more agro and shithousing on the pitch. Seemed to hate their fans more than the opposition and the football was dirge by all accounts.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    More important to respect a manager than to like them.

Something the poorest managers in our society cling onto

• Respect and fear are two very different things and poor managers often try and instill fear.

• Ken McKenna was always a player I would have liked to have seen in a quartered shirt, I believe MON also felt the same, but they couldn't agree a deal. Ken was assistant manager at Morecambe, I met him at one of the matches, he was really nice and appreciated the chance to talk about his time at Runcorn and Altrincham.

• Are you still involved with meeting and greeting fans at home games @Fit2drop ? I’ve a vague memory that you’d taken on that role a couple of seasons ago. If so, could you tell us how it’s going ?

• No, I got offered the role but it was during the takeover process and I did not want to be a mouthpiece for any of the groups looking to take over the club.