Skip to content

Quick quiz

The historic connection that Wanderers have with Wealdstone and Clapton ?
Anyone know the link ?

Comments

• Clue the link is over 20 years apart.

• They've all won the non-league double (Amateur Cup or FA Trophy, plus their own league - Isthmian or Gola/Conference)?

• No Mr Newbs, it involves a link with WWFC.

• Big Clue, One of games featured the only league goal, for a Wanderers player who went onto gain the highest accolade in club football.

• European Cup winner Kenny Swain scored for Wycombe against Clapton in April 1973, his only League goal for us.
    Not sure about the Wealdstone link though.

• That's correct Mr Newbs, We achieved something that day at the Spotted dog, that we haven't done at an away ground since.

• Blimey, that's nearly 50 years ago. Racking my brains as to what could have been special about that game, and also where Wealdstone fit in.
    Did we play in an unusual away strip colour that we've never used since, but was also used in an earlier game against Wealdstone?

• Both scorers in the Clapton game went on to win a European competition (Swain with Villa, Delaney with us - Anglo-Italian v Monza). Real shot in the dark though, can't see that also happened in any game against Wealdstone.

• There are quizzes, and then there are @ChasHarps quizzes...

• As I stated earlier, the connection with what happened in a game with Wealdstone is over 20 years apart.

• Sorry I meant over 10 years apart !!

• Relegated the home team?

• No Mr Vital, we did that at Lincoln since then.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Clue the link is over 20 years apart.

Correction I meant over 10 years apart

• We’re they the only two grounds that the Jeffways supporters coaches arrived in time for kick off?

(More seriously does it have anything to do with the crowd rather than the team?)

• It's very much the footballing side of things Mr Tease.

• @ChasHarps said:
    That's correct Mr Newbs, We achieved something that day at the Spotted dog, that we haven't done at an away ground since.

Went through the entire game without conceding a free kick?
    Pretty unlikely I know, but worth a punt.

• No Mr Newbs,
    If you can identify the other match that involved Wealdstone, it's possible you will be able to read into what the link is.
    There is a clue hidden in there.

• The answer is on April 28th 1973, the 2 nil win at the Spotted dog was the last time Wanderers received 2 points for an away win. On the 19th April 1986, a Simon 'Read' goal at Loakes Park against Wealdstone was the very last time we received 2 points for a home win.

• @ChasHarps absolute respect. A genius question.

“Quick” quiz is a bit of a misleading title though!

• edited February 2022

Never got anywhere near that line of thinking. Fiendish.

Bring on the next one please @ChasHarps