LX1LX1
edited February 2022 in Football

Many iconic fixtures here

Lincoln one of the first automatic promotions v wyc in front of a record crowd

Paul Emblen to the rescue in 99

Searching the cathedral for that elusive imp

Poll not found

Comments

• I got hit by a bag of piss at the Lincoln promotion game. Bad memories.

• Did it literally taste like piss?

• Tyson got a hat trick there in about twenty minutes in 04/05 IIRC.

• edited February 2022

Emblen. Cue 15 minutes of Wycombe Till I Die.

• free coaches laid on by the Club

• When the Lincoln mini Bus was set on fire at Loakes Park, it led to one of the greatest ever pa announcements.

• Its a shame there isn't any footage of us when Emblem scored .
      It puts todays 'limbs' to shame .
      I remember ending up about 30 metres away from where i was before the goal was scored due to the crazy scenes and crush .
      Truly happy days.

• There must be some footage out there from sky. Just before video phones unf

• Honourable mention for a Mike Williamson double in a 2-1 win.

• I remember Tim Langford coming on as a sub and notching in match winning brace in a 1-3 win. Might have been in our first season in the football league? They used to have a huge open terrace down 1 side if I remember correctly.

But yes, that Emblen winner with minutes to spare to save us from relegation and relegate Lincoln in the process is right up there for memorable Wycombe matches.

• Lincoln were already relegated. It was York City that we sent down. I believe that moment, 8 minutes from the end of the season was the first time they'd been in the relegation zone.

It was more or less the first time we'd been out of it

"Limbs" and "scenes" ensued, before the gut-wrenching realisation that we still had 8 minutes plus stoppage time to see out

• And from memory the Lincoln fans were quite gracious in applauding our great escape after the final whistle.

• They were wonderfully genial hosts - coming onto the pitch to salute our survival with a hail of coins and whatever came to hand, then lining the route back to the coaches to bid us a cheery farewell.

• Best video I could find of that day ...

• I think that day may be the only time I've ever been to Lincoln.

• @eric_plant said:
      Lincoln were already relegated. It was York City that we sent down. I believe that moment, 8 minutes from the end of the season was the first time they'd been in the relegation zone.

"Limbs" and "scenes" ensued, before the gut-wrenching realisation that we still had 8 minutes plus stoppage time to see out

Boring point from me..I think Lincoln had a small chance of staying up if they won and lots of other results went their way. It was one of the most memorable days. Pure limbs haha

• Many still visit the Lincoln memorial to this day in Washington DC

• Hadn't the win against Wigan midweek taken us out of the relegation zone for the first time? We knew we had to win at Lincoln but if we did, we weren't dependent on anyone else's result.

• @Twizz that is brilliant thank you. What a character Devine was ! I distinctly remember getting back to AP and there was a party in the Vere. The league table came up on the TV and Beeks pointed to Wycombe above the relegation line

• @LX1 said:

@eric_plant said:
      Lincoln were already relegated. It was York City that we sent down. I believe that moment, 8 minutes from the end of the season was the first time they'd been in the relegation zone.

Boring point from me..I think Lincoln had a small chance of staying up if they won and lots of other results went their way. It was one of the most memorable days. Pure limbs haha

Fair point, I meant the goal itself. By that point Oldham were already winning 2-0 so even had Lincoln beaten us they'd still have gone down.

I just meant that Emblen's goal didn't send them down. Indeed, in the words of Paul Lambert, it changed nothing (for them)

• From Finch & Peart's history of WWFC about the 88 game....'the atmosphere at Sincil Bank was as tense as it could be, intimidating for the 800 Wycombe supporters. The ground was packed and the attendance of 9,432 is still a record in the Conference. Fans even stood on the railway embankment alongside the ground and we're shocked when a Lincoln official came along with a collection tin!

• @eric_plant said:

@LX1 said:

@eric_plant said:

Fair point, I meant the goal itself. By that point Oldham were already winning 2-0 so even had Lincoln beaten us they'd still have gone down.

I just meant that Emblen's goal didn't send them down. Indeed, in the words of Paul Lambert, it changed nothing (for them)

Aye they were doomed by that point. I remember thinking at the time 'just let us score it doesn't matter to you now'

• Big away followings for both games. OK the second was a relegation crunch game but even so 3000+ for a game a long way away is impressive. 800 for a nothing on it for us end of season game perhaps even more so. Was there a context I don't remember (as I recall Torquay was "only" about 900 as a comparitor)

• I would suggest free coaches for Lincoln was a big factor. Also many had written off Torquay. I know someone who didn't go due to lack of belief and moral fibre

• I don't blame anyone not undertaking the long trek to Torquay.
      The feeling coming out of the Rovers game was dreadful, and talk was about what non league grounds we'd be visiting the next year.

I did go to Torquay, but it was in more of a go to the last league game for possibly a long while, sort of thought process rather than any real belief!
      Until the day obviously, as hope springs eternal!

• The despondency after the rovers game (goal offside) was understandably rife. But the Wycombe/Mansfield double was only 4/1. There was no water being turned into wine

• Rovers game was seriously deflating and I did not go to Torquay as I rarely travel...but I listened to it on the wireless...with hope in my heart! (That was the season I returned as an ST holder and I had decided whatever the outcome I would renew as they would definitely need my cash again the following season!)

• The jeapordy that day was something else. After the game I walked to the coast and got drunk in the first pub I found, tipping the staff a score (what a waste of money). Can only compare Selhurst Park and Villa to that day

• Torquay is a stand-alone game in a completely different category to any other