Skip to content

Local football on offer Sat 5th Feb

With no game for the Wanderers this coming Saturday attention turns to some local entertainment on offer. Here are some local games if you still fancy your footy fix on Saturday:

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Maidenhead United v Eastleigh

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH

Hemel Hempstead Town v Billericay Town
Slough Town v Hungerford Town

SOUTHERN LEAGUE PREMIER CENTRAL

Banbury United v Bromsgrove Sporting

SOUTHERN LEAGUE PREMIER SOUTH

Beaconsfield Town v Harrow Borough
Kings Langley v Met Police

SOUTHERN LEAGUE DIV ONE CENTRAL

Aylesbury United v Biggleswade FC (at Chesham United)
Thame United v Kidlington

ISTHMIAN LEAGUE SOUTH CENTRAL DIVISION

Chalfont St Peter v Thatcham Town
Hanwell Town v Marlow
Northwood v Tooting & Mitchum United

SPARTAN LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION

Aylesbury Vale Dynamos v Arlesey Town
Leverstock Green v New Salamis
London Colney v Flackwell Heath

SPARTAN LEAGUE DIVISION ONE

Buckingham Athletic v Ampthill Town
Long Crendon v Northampton Sileby Rangers (at Oxford City?)
Winslow United v Bedford FC

SPARTAN LEAGUE DIVISION TWO

Buckingham United v Codicote

N.B.: On Wednesday night (Feb 2nd) there’s a Southern League local derby as Aylesbury United take on Thame United at Chesham United FC (7.45pm).

As ever, if you want to post a short match report on your travels I’m sure other readers will enjoy hearing about your experiences.

Comments

• Does anyone know when the Cambridge away game will be? Can't find any reference to a new date

• @Cambridge_Blue said:
    Does anyone know when the Cambridge away game will be? Can't find any reference to a new date

Still TBA

• Thanks @A_Worboys _ I will be at the Beaconsfield game. Come on the Town!!!

• Was going to say Rams but couldn’t bring myself to say that ?

• In the Southern League Central Division tonight, Thame United continued their play-off push with a 1-0 win over Aylesbury United (played at Chesham United).

• @A_Worboys said:
    In the Southern League Central Division tonight, Thame United continued their play-off push with a 1-0 win over Aylesbury United (played at Chesham United).

Interestingly I went to the reverse fixture early in the season when Thame were comprehensively beaten 3-1 I think. A good game that day and certainly Thame have picked up this season after a slow start.

• FT Winslow United 1-0 Bedford FC

Not a lot to say about the match, Winslow dominated, especially after half-time, but Bedford are a solid side and defended resolutely. The winner came in the 90th minute, video below. Attendance 94.

That win leaves Winslow one point behind leaders Stotfold, with two games in hand. If they do get promoted, I think they need to increase seating from their current 50, to 100. That is based on Risborough needing to build a new 100 seater stand to stay in Spartan One.

Winslow have some talented players for Step 6, in all areas but especially attackers, including Curtis Brown who recently came back from a trial at Luton Town. 81 goals scored, 20 conceded, from 24 league games speaks for itself.

Bitcoin podcaster Pete McCormack recently acquired Bedford FC, and wants to get them to the Premier League. Their last two home games attracted a crowd of 59 for each. Adjacent neighbours Bedford Town, two levels up, average around 500 and recently had 1254 against Berkhamsted.

Bedford FC have apparently received £1 million of worldwide sponsorship money, and their shirt sponsor is Sports Direct, but that money does not appear to have been applied to the team yet, who are paid in Bitcoin I read. There is no greater turnoff for me than the word Bitcoin. I don't understand it, don't want to understand it, I suspect it is an invention for the greedy to exploit the gullible.

Bedford stream all their matches, search for Real Bedford (their name from next season) on YouTube. They brought their three man broadcast team with them today, including a scaffold tower.

The goal.

• I knew 1 Bitcoin was worth about 30k, so I was wondering how well these players are paid!

But a quick check, and apparently you can split 1 bitcoin down into 8 decimal places, so maybe not that much after all!

However, some experts seem to think the price of 1 bitcoin could reach up to $1m in the future, so they should maybe hang onto them...

ps..as you were.

• Hertford Town 1 Berkhamsted 2

Important game as Berkhamsted chase the automatic promotion place along with Bedford Town. Good place to visit beforehand too as Hertford is home to McMullen’s brewery & a lunchtime pint of “Country” goes down very well.

On a blustery day the visitors took the lead after 18 minutes through Chayce Grant after the home keeper spilt a cross. Just over 10 minutes later Hertford equalised with a wonder goal by left-winger Obi Ogbonna. He beat two defenders on the left, cut in & smashed a right-footed shot in off the underside of the bar & post.

The match was pretty even in the second-half until an Elliott Bailey header put the visitors back in the lead, which they held on to. A good crowd of 276 watched the game. This Obi Ogbonna was a real handful all afternoon & might be worth a trial at WW, depending on his age.

• Beaconsfield Town 6 - Harrow Borough 1
    Comprehensive win for Beaconsfield.
    First time back at Holloway Park since our B&B cup game. The 3G pitch, modernised clubhouse and ground improvements including new floodlights have really made a massive difference for Beaconsfield. The rams certainly look like they mean business after a poor first half of the season.
    My tip for promotion next season. Very pleasant day out indeed and will I will certainly go back again this season.

• Holloways Park