Skip to content

Comments

• Seems to be more of a defensive midfielder which is good.

• His goalscoring record at U23 suggests that too. 1 in 13 this season and that was a penalty

• edited February 2022

"Tidy player and likes a tackle" - random Tranmere fan on Twitter (best I've got). Was on loan there last season but only made five appearances - in and out of the side apparently.

• edited February 2022

Newcastle fans (and, seemingly local press) a bit shocked that Matty Longstaff - who's been around the first team - has ended up in League Two, but it sounds like we've got ourselves a promising player.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Newcastle fans (and, seemingly local press) a bit shocked that Matty Longstaff - who's been around the first team - has ended up in League Two, but it sounds like we've got ourselves a promising player.

That is shocking. 20 premier league/first team appearances over a couple of seasons, yet is loaned 3 tiers down?

• How do we all know what Matty Longstaff's character is like?? What if Newcastle think....

(A) his attitude stinks?
    (B) he needs toughening up?

Could be a number of reasons, and Scotland/League 2 could be perfect platforms to help with both of the above. Or for personal reasons? We don't know.

I'm pretty sure that managers would have known he was available but chosen not to act on it.

• I would imagine it’s more along the lines that Gaz and Dobbo identified Jack Young specifically. He seems to be a potential fit to the Scowen role, but clearly with little first team experience so far is a bit of a gamble. Very unlikely he’ll make Newcastles first team in the near future so he’ll be playing for a permanent move here or elsewhere I’d think.

• Yeah, sounds about right

• Does this signing mean bad news for Gape?

• @WildWestFC said:
    I would imagine it’s more along the lines that Gaz and Dobbo identified Jack Young specifically.

Article doesn't really suggest that..."Jack has been recommended to us as a young lad worth taking a look at". Reads to me like a bit of a punt and wouldn't surprise me if we don't see a huge amount of game time from him (from the "benefit around a first-team environment" comment). I could be totally wrong of course!