Skip to content

What do Gasroomers see as our best match team/formation

For me I would select this match day squad if all fit:
4-3-3 formation

Stocko
Grimmer -Tafazolli- Stewart- Obita
Thompson - Wing - Scowen
Hanlan - Vokes - McCleary

Subs: GK - Jacobson, McCarthy, Mehmeti, KaiKai, Bayo, Wheeler.

Comments

• Got to agree with 4-4-3 and cannot disagree with the line-up though we haven't seen Wing yet and it is painful to be missing JJ's dead ball prowess!

• edited February 2022

4-2-3-1 for me, with which two of Scowen/Thompson/Wing depending on freshness. Hanlan-Mehmeti-McCleary behind Vokes.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Got to agree with 4-4-3 and cannot disagree with the line-up though we haven't seen Wing yet and it is painful to be missing JJ's dead ball prowess!

If we play 4-4-3 we can have JJ in there as the secret 12th man.

• edited February 2022

durrr...blame posting while in a meeting!

Of course I meant 4-3-3 under the present Association Football rules governing the number of outfield players per team permissible on the pitch at any one time. :smile:

• I think we've been at our best this season with three at the back (Stewart, Taff, JJ), McCarthy and Obita wingbacks, Scowen and Thompson in the middle, Vokes up front, McCleary one side of him and either Hanlan or Mehmeti the other

• I quite like three at the back as well as per @eric_plant 's line-up. This is trickier than I thought.

• It definitely needs both Thompson and Scowen available though.

Hopefully we'll need to re-address our thoughts on our best side though when our two new players come straight in and make themselves undroppable

• edited February 2022

I've started think that simple formations like 4-3-3, 4-4-2 etc aren't even relevent these days. Theres more to a team than the formation they stand at kick off.

for example, a 5-3-2 formation maybe that once in a defence position but in attack you're more likely going to see the team transition to 3-4-3 with an attacking midfielder splitting the 2 front men, or just behind and your wing backs pushing into advanced midfield positions.

Or Liverpool with their 4-3-3 turns into 2-1-4-3 to overload the attack with full backs that can run for years. Alternatively a 4-3-3 can drop to a 4-5-1 if they need to pack the midfield a bit more.

Either way, my starting 11 would be similar to yours but with only 2 of Thomson Wing or Scowen and either JJ as one of the back 3 with Grimmer RWB or McCarthy as the RWB role

• ps lot of fans leaving JJ out. It was literally only a few weeks ago that he give one of the greatest individual performances ever seen in a Wycombe shirt

• @eric_plant said:
    ps lot of fans leaving JJ out. It was literally only a few weeks ago that he give one of the greatest individual performances ever seen in a Wycombe shirt

I think he could even be a CB in a back four...for all the worries about his lack of pace, I always worry when there is no JJ for some reason. He has been excellent this term.

• edited February 2022

@TheDancingYak said:
    I've started think that simple formations like 4-3-3, 4-4-2 etc aren't even relevent these days. Theres more to a team than the formation they stand at kick off.

for example, a 5-3-2 formation maybe that once in a defence position but in attack you're more likely going to see the team transition to 3-4-3 with an attacking midfielder splitting the 2 front men, or just behind and your wing backs pushing into advanced midfield positions.

Or Liverpool with their 4-3-3 turns into 2-1-4-3 to overload the attack with full backs that can run for years. Alternatively a 4-3-3 can drop to a 4-5-1 if they need to pack the midfield a bit more.

Either way, my starting 11 would be similar to yours but with only 2 of Thomson Wing or Scowen and either JJ as one of the back 3 with Grimmer RWB or McCarthy as the RWB role

You're right - I think the biggest 'fixed' element is whether we play with three or four at the back. I feel more comfortable when it's four, but Obita and Grimmer have been absolutely excellent in an attacking sense as WBs.

• I get mindboggled when all those outfield permutations are being paraded, so I’m going to say a few words about goalkeepers.

Having seen several incredibly impressive young (22-25 year old) ‘keepers lately, including Jamie Cummings for MK, I felt a pang or two of sadness reading about the departure of Curtis Anderson. He was in the the England U17 squad which won the World Cup a few years ago, alongside Jamie Cummings, but I don’t know how many appearances each of them made. Obviously, youngsters all develop differently and at different rates and, for now at least, we supporters aren’t in a position to judge whether Curtis could have made a similar impact.

Comparisons can be invidious and, for all we know, last Saturday’s performance by Cummings might have been a one-off and he might start conceding hatfuls of goals. If I was a nasty person, I might have added “we can only hope so” !

No comparisons are necessary and no additional evidence is required for me to boast that, about four years ago, I was telling a Bournemouth supporting friend that I would love it if we could get one of their youth ‘keepers on loan. I’ll not reveal his name at this point but he was already making his name (aged 19) at youth level, playing for England on numerous occasions. On a rare visit to Kingsmeadow I watched him play a blinder against Wycombe and I’ve followed his rapid progress to the Premier League and the full England squad with great satisfaction. He’s wound up at the wrong North London club, of course, but members of the family who support them are happy to acknowledge my prediction that he would be an absolute star for them.

No prizes for guessing!

• When are we announcing @micra as chief scout?

• My phone’s not stopped ringing.

• Best of luck to Curtis, of course. It seems like Tyla Dickinson, who got good reviews at Hayes, has taken his place in the pecking order.

• @our_frank said:
    Best of luck to Curtis, of course. It seems like Tyla Dickinson, who got good reviews at Hayes, has taken his place in the pecking order.

I presume Tyla Dickinson was the 3rd keeper I saw warming up before the Oxford game - looked very sharp

• edited February 2022

The below 8 have to be absolutely without question starters whatever formation.

Stockdale
    Taf Stewart Obita
    Thompson Scowen
    McCleary
    Vokes

The other 3 are down to tactics and form, between

McCarthy, Grimmer, JJ, Mehmeti, Hanlan

Strong support from the rest not listed.

• @Malone said:
    The below 8 have to be absolutely without question starters whatever formation.

Stockdale
    Taf Stewart Obita
    Thompson Scowen
    McCleary
    Vokes

The other 3 are down to tactics and form, between

McCarthy, Grimmer, JJ, Mehmeti, Hanlan

Strong support from the rest not listed.

I think that’s a very good call indeed. Get the right 11 on the pitch and formations matter less in winning the game. I agree you have selected the best 8.

• Following two defeats do we expect Gaz to change things up for our next game? I think he will start Wing for sure but who else will come in?

• @micra said:
    I get mindboggled when all those outfield permutations are being paraded, so I’m going to say a few words about goalkeepers.

Having seen several incredibly impressive young (22-25 year old) ‘keepers lately, including Jamie Cummings for MK, I felt a pang or two of sadness reading about the departure of Curtis Anderson. He was in the the England U17 squad which won the World Cup a few years ago, alongside Jamie Cummings, but I don’t know how many appearances each of them made. Obviously, youngsters all develop differently and at different rates and, for now at least, we supporters aren’t in a position to judge whether Curtis could have made a similar impact.

Comparisons can be invidious and, for all we know, last Saturday’s performance by Cummings might have been a one-off and he might start conceding hatfuls of goals. If I was a nasty person, I might have added “we can only hope so” !

No comparisons are necessary and no additional evidence is required for me to boast that, about four years ago, I was telling a Bournemouth supporting friend that I would love it if we could get one of their youth ‘keepers on loan. I’ll not reveal his name at this point but he was already making his name (aged 19) at youth level, playing for England on numerous occasions. On a rare visit to Kingsmeadow I watched him play a blinder against Wycombe and I’ve followed his rapid progress to the Premier League and the full England squad with great satisfaction. He’s wound up at the wrong North London club, of course, but members of the family who support them are happy to acknowledge my prediction that he would be an absolute star for them.

No prizes for guessing!

It's been a long time since, I've seen a young keeper as assured as Jamie Cummings.
    Mind you he didn't look 6ft 2 ".

• 6'1" according to Opta

•                                  Stocko
    Grimmer       Stewart    Jacobson     Obita 

Thompson      Scowen

Mehmeti 
                   Hanlan                     Mcleary 
                                     Vokes

• F#ck knows why the back ended up over there!!!

Anyway 4-2-1-3

• No Taf is a bold shout!

• I would take Taff over JJ at Centre back but I like your 4-2-3-1

• edited February 2022

Just found this good Jonathan Wilson piece on the 4-2-1-3. Can't think of any teams currently playing it, but it's an interesting one. We wouldn't do it.

• Jacobson has gone from one of the best LB's in the EGL to arguably one of the best CB's.. I didn't watch our last two games so cant comment on them, but his performances against Sunderland and Oxford were superb.

• I've been using the 4-2-1-3 for 15 or so years on PES with great success....

• When, for my sins, I was a very junior “official” in the Treasury PES stood for Public Expenditure Survey. The very initials still make me nervous ! But I assume, @bigred87, they have a very different meaning in the context of FIFA 22 or whatever the online game is.