Skip to content

Cambridge (A)

Sorry for the new topic - has this been rearranged yet?

Comments

  • Not seen anything at all yet.

  • Isn’t it February 5th (FA Cup weekend)?

  • It was, but Cambridge are still in the Cup, that's why it has to be rearranged.

  • BSEBSE
    edited January 28

    As we have them at home on the 1st of March, looks like we could play them twice in a very short time scale, once rearranged.

    Question for the statto's. Whats the shortest period we have played a team twice in league competition?

  • Didn't we used to play Oxford City on two consecutive days over Christmas?

  • I think Tuesday 29th March would be ideal. No possible clash with the FA Cup unless Cambridge get to the Q/F and then require a replay.

    We have home games on the Saturday before and after. Fleetwood before, Doncaster and Gillingham after.

  • Glad someone pointed this out, as I have a little fixture chart I wrote that I hadn't updated, and had forgotten the FA cup situation!

    Shrewsbury are in a bit of trouble facing a fresh Wycombe is all I'll say :)

  • @wwfcblue said:
    I think Tuesday 29th March would be ideal. No possible clash with the FA Cup unless Cambridge get to the Q/F and then require a replay.

    We have home games on the Saturday before and after. Fleetwood before, Doncaster and Gillingham after.

    No more replays this season, so all good!

  • @BSE said:
    As we have them at home on the 1st of March, looks like we could play them twice in a very short time scale, once rearranged.

    Question for the statto's. Whats the shortest period we have played a team twice in league competition?

    I haven't had a chance to look through too many FL-era seasons, though one that stuck in my mind was us playing our league games in 93/94 against Rochdale close to each other due to a postponement earlier in the season. Turns out they were played on 4th and 19th April - 15 days apart.

    Although not all league games, we played Fulham three times in 18 days at the start of 97/98 when we had our two-legged first round League Cup tie and an early league game against them.

  • @ReadingMarginalista said:

    @BSE said:
    As we have them at home on the 1st of March, looks like we could play them twice in a very short time scale, once rearranged.

    Question for the statto's. Whats the shortest period we have played a team twice in league competition?

    I haven't had a chance to look through too many FL-era seasons, though one that stuck in my mind was us playing our league games in 93/94 against Rochdale close to each other due to a postponement earlier in the season. Turns out they were played on 4th and 19th April - 15 days apart.

    Although not all league games, we played Fulham three times in 18 days at the start of 97/98 when we had our two-legged first round League Cup tie and an early league game against them.

    It was that last season in non league that beggars belief to some of us not quite old enough to have experienced it as a fan.

    11 games in April, with games close before in March and one on the 1st May to boot too.

    5 games in 8 days the maddest, including 3 games over 4 days.

    3-Apr-1993 Sutton United FAT S/F1 H L 2-3 (1-2) 5600
    6-Apr-1993 Woking GMVC H D 0-0 (0-0) 5000
    10-Apr-1993 Sutton United FAT S/F2 A W 4-0 (1-0) 5002
    13-Apr-1993 Slough Town GMVC A D 1-1 (0-0) 4500
    15-Apr-1993 Runcorn GMVC H W 5-1 (2-1) 6220
    17-Apr-1993 Altrincham GMVC H L 0-2 (0-1) 6284
    18-Apr-1993 Gateshead GMVC A W 1-0 (0-0) 815
    20-Apr-1993 Northwich Victoria DC S/F1 A D 0-0 (0-0) 1005
    24-Apr-1993 Telford United GMVC A W 3-2 (3-2) 1741
    27-Apr-1993 Northwich Victoria DC F 2 H L 2-3 (1-0) 3784
    29-Apr-1993 Stafford Rangers GMVC A W 1-0 (1-0) 1631

  • They all had day jobs as well. The were part-time footballers at that point

  • @BSE said:
    As we have them at home on the 1st of March, looks like we could play them twice in a very short time scale, once rearranged.

    Question for the statto's. Whats the shortest period we have played a team twice in league competition?

    May 2nd 1931, Kingstonian away and home in the Isthmian League, afternoon and evening on the same day.

  • Thank you all, always very interesting to read more about our history.
    @ReadingMarginalista

    @Malone I would be one of them! I came into the world in 92. So in my lifetime/memory Wycombe have been a league. (I have no memory of 93/94 season before i'm corrected about in my lifetime comment ha!)

    @NewburyWanderer Wow! do you have and article online i could look at? i couldn't see anything on 'chairboys on the net' albeit a quick look. Or was that purely a stat grab.

    and appoligies @prufrock_91 for somewhat hijacking the thread.

  • Memory might be shot, but i was thinking that we played Aylesbury Utd on Boxing Day and New Year's Day one season...?

  • I think we did v Slough in our 2nd season at Adams Park as well

  • @BSE Youngster!
    I vaguely followed the results in late doors non league, and remember one season every time I seemed to check Wycombe had won 4-0.

    I only went to a few games in the first couple of league seasons, but I can still remember that unmatched excitement of knowing I was off to the game, seeing those blue gates of Hillbottom Road from the bus.
    I can only equate it to a kid's excitement before Christmas.

  • @BSE said:
    Thank you all, always very interesting to read more about our history.
    @ReadingMarginalista

    @Malone I would be one of them! I came into the world in 92. So in my lifetime/memory Wycombe have been a league. (I have no memory of 93/94 season before i'm corrected about in my lifetime comment ha!)

    @NewburyWanderer Wow! do you have and article online i could look at? i couldn't see anything on 'chairboys on the net' albeit a quick look. Or was that purely a stat grab.

    and appoligies @prufrock_91 for somewhat hijacking the thread.

    From @Steve_Peart & Dave Finch's excellent history...

    "The extended cup run had meant something of a fixture backlog and on the last day of the season Wycombe played Kingstonian twice! The first match at Kingstonian kicked off at 3 pm with the home side winning 2-0. Everyone travelled back to Loakes Park for the return match at 6.30 pm. This time Wycombe won 4-0 thanks to a hat-trick for Bill Brown who was the only Wanderer not to have played in the first game."

    The "extended cup run" referred to the Amateur Cup triumph in which Wycombe played 7 matches, winning the final against Hayes at Highbury. The League season ended with 6 matches in the final fortnight.

  • That's already barmy enough.
    But to have to then trek everyone back to the other ground just compounds it!

  • @NewburyWanderer said:
    "The extended cup run had meant something of a fixture backlog and on the last day of the season Wycombe played Kingstonian twice! The first match at Kingstonian kicked off at 3 pm with the home side winning 2-0. Everyone travelled back to Loakes Park for the return match at 6.30 pm. This time Wycombe won 4-0 thanks to a hat-trick for Bill Brown who was the only Wanderer not to have played in the first game."

    Hard to actually believe that isn't it. Absolutely insane.

Sign In or Register to comment.