Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

12346»

Comments

• Good to see you chipping in with a few comments beyond the prediction threads @BlueBoy. I miss the exchanges during matches with you and your dad etc but, who knows, I might make the odd appearance when the warmer weather comes.

• @Glenactico said:
    Third goal looks even worse than I thought at the time. Stewart needs to be the deepest player when in the middle of the 3 - he's ten yards ahead of Taff. It leaves a huge hole in the middle of defence for them to drop the cross into.

If Stewart could read the game like Adam Al Abd, then he really would be some player. His speed and Athletism is often needed due to his poor positional sense.
    The back five suits JJ, as Orbita can often help out for his lack of pace, but you feel Anthony is more suited to a back four, where the centre halves are closer together, and he can be guided and cajoled by his centre half partner.

• Bring Alfie back!!

• As I did not see I cannot comment on Anis but I would have thought Thompson Wheeler was a more solid partnership in Josh's absence with Mehmeti coming on later. To score twice and lose is not the best but hoping for revenge on Saturday for my disappointing away day!

• @micra said:
    Good to see you chipping in with a few comments beyond the prediction threads @BlueBoy. I miss the exchanges during matches with you and your dad etc but, who knows, I might make the odd appearance when the warmer weather comes.

Cheers, @micra. Being stuck home with Covid means I need a different outlet for my hugely insightful and not at all emotionally led views this week.

Glad to hear we might see you back at AP in the not too distant future. Any reason to look forward to better weather is ok with me.

• We were poor yesterday, no question about it. Very much a bad day at the office for players and management alike. It seems to me that the absence of Scowen and the bobbly pitch led to the decision to start with Bayo and go more direct. Consequently we never had control of the game. The fact that Hanlan worked hard for little reward and McCleary struggled to make any impact says a lot.

We started quickly but were then fortunate to be in a position to retake the lead. At that point we should have accepted our good fortune and changed things (Wheeler for Bayo and reshuffle in my opinion). Bayo worked hard and won a fair bit in the air but was generally very well marshalled. Mehmeti was ok, but it’s really not his position. I thought Thompson was good considering the amount of work he had to do. I’m confident his removal was tactical and he wasn’t carrying any kind of knock.

Morecambe were ok and deserved to win, but Stockton was the only player to really stand out for me. He stayed the right side of nasty while consistently bullying and getting the better of Taff. He will definitely end up at a bigger club sooner rather than later. As has been pointed out, Stewart and Taff both had a very difficult day and that is always likely to leave us struggling.

Nothing to get too down about. 10 points from the previous 4 games was better than expected. That is probably as bad as we’ll play this season and Vokes should be back next week. We may even sign one or two reinforcements this week.

• I didn't clock this properly at the time; how on earth did JJ not see red for this?

• We ideally need 2 holding / helping the defence in midfield against better teams or those like yesterday that are throwing everything at us. We've been ok with one and Mehmeti Or Wheeler against poor or defensive teams or where we've got on the front foot and are mostly attacking. We were a bit sloppy yesterday but a very possible early second goal for us and their heads would have dropped and we could have taken control.
    I think Gaz would play Thompson and Scowen every week but he can't at the moment, and without Vokes and with McCleary not firing everything comes back on us a bit quicker and the defence has more to do. One or two slips and we get nervy and they get some momentum and smell blood and we start getting everything wrong. If Curtis wasn't fit then he had to come off but we need replacements or one of the young guys to get a chance and step up. Not a disaster but you can see how clubs get dragged into the idea that they need one or two more players to reach their goal. Will trust the management to do what's best as they always do.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I didn't clock this properly at the time; how on earth did JJ not see red for this?

He was very lucky - and he could have easily been booked twice yesterday. Two fouls in the first half which I though were yellows before the one he was carded for, and that challenge too.

• Sitting in the stand immediately behind my first instinct was that it was a full blooded challenge from both players - guess that’s the difference when you have a second or third viewing - perhaps the ref saw it same as me or maybe his view was slightly impeded

• We are going to win the League

• Stop fretting

• Missed the JJ tackle yesterday and in 1st view here I thought "Yes that's a red".
    However if you watch back on slow it's not actually 2 footed, nor is he out of control. JJ plants his right foot almost adjacent to the ball and swings his left to contact the ball as the Morecambe player does. A full blooded challenge, that's all.

• It's out of control and dangerous, would have been a red with a competent ref in charge

• Think the ref had a better view than that three seconds of video. The important part of the tackle is hidden by legs. No idea from that view what happened apart from a player flying in the air.

• Both players are what non football playing viewers call "out of control". It's a full blooded 50/50... Admittedly those are being phased out of the game, but they are nominally still allowed

• edited January 2022

Look how high his foot is - you can't do that. We saw with Nick Freeman the damage that kind of tackle can do.

• Are you a non playing viewer @ReturnToSenda ;)

• edited January 2022

Watching again and he's got both feet of the ground when he makes contact. How can anyone defend that?! You'd be screaming for a red if it was the other way round.

• If you slowed down and rewatched every at speed tackle and even shot, I'd expect a majority to have "both feet off the ground".

• But you don't need to slow that one down! It's not even subtle.

Anyway, they can't take any action now

• Good to see Morecambe taking action on the chanting. I'd like to see us do the same.