Skip to content

Remaining fixtures and positions. What are your final league position predictions?

edited January 2022 in Football

Morecambe (A) - 21st
Franchise (H) - 5th
Shrewsbury Town (H) - 15th
Lincoln City (A) - 18th
Cheltenham Town (H) - 13th
Wigan Athletic (H) - 4th
Accrington Stanley (A) - 10th
Cambridge United (H) - 16th
Crewe Alexandra (A) - 22nd
Rotherham United (H) - 3rd
Portsmouth (A) - 9th
Fleetwood Town (H) - 19th
Doncaster Rovers (H) - 24th
Gillingham (A) - 23rd
Plymouth Argyle (H) - 6th
AFC Wimbledon (A) - 20th
Sheffield Wednesday (H) - 8th
Burton Albion (A) - 12th

Home game remaining 10.
Away games remaining 9 (Including a rearranged Cambridge United fixture.)

Final league position prediction: 1st

Comments

• edited January 2022

Plus Cambridge away

• Oh yes thank you Vital.

• The remaining fixtures look quite well weighted to lower half teams? Or is that my rose tinted glasses?

The home games against Wigan, Rotherham, Plymouth and MK will be so important as they are genuine 6 pointers. Wins against Wigan and Rotherham and I fancy us for automatic promotion…and before today I didn't think we could do better than play offs. The team spirit is incredible.

• The ticket priority thread before AFCW is going to be epic.

• The fixtures against the currently five highest-positioned teams are all at home; that has to be a huge advantage.

Franchise (H) - 5th
    Wigan Athletic (H) -4th

We have 19 games left; Wigan has 24 games left plus an FA Cup game. So although they have plenty of games in hand, Wigan will have to play a minimum of 25 games in 101 days, a game pretty much every four days, plus hopefully a few more in the FA Cup to truly tire them out. That's a big ask of any team, and with COVID likely to affect a couple of their games, they are looking at severe fixture congestion. It will be interesting to see if they further strengthen this transfer window.

Players for us who I think are at the very peak of their powers form wise are:
    David Stockdale
    Joe Jacobson
    Chris Forino
    Ryan Tafazolli
    Jordan Obita
    Josh Scowen
    Curtis Thompson
    Garath McCleary
    Anis Mehmeti
    Sam Vokes
    Brandon Hanlan

Ainsworth seems to have entrenched even more steel into this squad than ever before; I feel so fortunate to be a supporter at this most exciting of times.

• Wigan also have a quarter final appearance in the Mickey Mouse Cup in 10 days.

They are bang in form at present but all these extra games will certainly take its toll

• @floyd said:
    The ticket priority thread before AFCW is going to be epic.

They’re back at Plough Lane now, which can hold nearly 1,500 away fans. If it’s a dead rubber for them I could see us getting part of an extra stand if required.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@floyd said:

They’re back at Plough Lane now, which can hold nearly 1,500 away fans. If it’s a dead rubber for them I could see us getting part of an extra stand if required.

You can probably even see all four corners this time

• @OxfordBlue said:

@floyd said:

Very unlikely to get extra seats as they have 4000 season ticket holders in the other three stands and have been getting 6000 plus home fans for every Saturday League game.

They do have 800 hospitality seats and you might find a huge amount of these taken up by Wycombe fans as they never get anywhere near selling these out.

• edited January 2022

I'm worried about Burton as that's only a small terrace isn't it?

• Burton & Wimbledon could be problematic if we need a win(s) for promotion. Although I think Burton is 1,300 terrace (ish) plus a few hundred seats. So not too bad.

• On Wigan, our match against them is the middle match of a triple header they play against Rotherham (A), us and Sunderland (H) over the course of a week in February. I'd suggest that their results that week will go a long way to defining their season - hopefully they'll have to rotate a bit to get through those three.

• My understanding is that Wimbledon have a relatively small away allocation due to away fans' behaviour when it first opened.

They've not increased the away allocation for anyone so it looks like the 1500 number is fixed for this season at least. If we're in the mix this will sell out extremely quickly

• @Username said:
    My understanding is that Wimbledon have a relatively small away allocation due to away fans' behaviour when it first opened.

They've not increased the away allocation for anyone so it looks like the 1500 number is fixed for this season at least. If we're in the mix this will sell out extremely quickly

You are correct Username. Currently they have a reduced capacity of 1000. Portsmouth play at Plough Lane tomorrow and only have been allocated a restricted 1000 seats.

• We have a pretty exemplary away behaviour record don't we? If it was going to be lifted for any club I'd say it would be us (or maybe Cheltenham, they always seem like good eggs).

• @OxfordBlue said:
    We have a pretty exemplary away behaviour record don't we? If it was going to be lifted for any club I'd say it would be us (or maybe Cheltenham, they always seem like good eggs).

I don't think it's a case of his well behaved or not the away fans are, it's whether the home facilities/ stewards have demonstrated they can cope.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    The fixtures against the currently five highest-positioned teams are all at home; that has to be a huge advantage.

Franchise (H) - 5th
    Wigan Athletic (H) -4th

We have 19 games left; Wigan has 24 games left plus an FA Cup game. So although they have plenty of games in hand, Wigan will have to play a minimum of 25 games in 101 days, a game pretty much every four days, plus hopefully a few more in the FA Cup to truly tire them out. That's a big ask of any team, and with COVID likely to affect a couple of their games, they are looking at severe fixture congestion. It will be interesting to see if they further strengthen this transfer window.

David Stockdale
    Joe Jacobson
    Chris Forino
    Ryan Tafazolli
    Jordan Obita
    Josh Scowen
    Curtis Thompson
    Garath McCleary
    Anis Mehmeti
    Sam Vokes
    Brandon Hanlan

Ainsworth seems to have entrenched even more steel into this squad than ever before; I feel so fortunate to be a supporter at this most exciting of times.

Objection m’lud. Anthony Stewart, after a slight Covid affected (?) blip, is still a key player.

• @micra said:

@Bacon_Sandwich said:
    The fixtures against the currently five highest-positioned teams are all at home; that has to be a huge advantage.

Franchise (H) - 5th
    Wigan Athletic (H) -4th

David Stockdale
    Joe Jacobson
    Chris Forino
    Ryan Tafazolli
    Jordan Obita
    Josh Scowen
    Curtis Thompson
    Garath McCleary
    Anis Mehmeti
    Sam Vokes
    Brandon Hanlan

Objection m’lud. Anthony Stewart, after a slight Covid affected (?) blip, is still a key player.

Oh let me be clear, Anthony Stewart would walk into my dream eleven. I just think I've seen him on slightly better form @micra . Surely a future captain

• Yes, I thought that was your reason for his omission. He’d been ill before the couple of slightly below par games but prior to that people were referring to him as imperious after nearly every game. I can’t claim to know Anthony well - on nodding terms is the expression, I think, but I agree that he is quite a reserved character and I’m not sure he would want the captain’s armband on a permanent basis.but I could be wrong.

• Sorry. Omit “..but I could be wrong.” Superfluous.