Skip to content

Anyone notice something very strange that happened in the Sunderland game

Comments

• I was certain that it was once in the laws of the game that you had to tuck your shirt in and have your socks pulled up, but I can't find anything about it online.

I'm sure referees used to check before allowing a game to begin

• edited January 2022

Weirdest thing for me in terms of kit/equipment is that there doesn't seem to be any law on minimum size for shin pads. You could probably stick your debit card down there and get away with it.

• Gapey and Blooms for two of the current squad certainly always used to. I think with the modern shirts being a much tighter fit, it's not as clear-cut as it used to be.

• Although you'd get players diving saying they thought it was contactless

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    My headteacher at RGS would gesture to boys walking home to tuck their shirts in as he drove past. Such a weird place, that school.

Echoing this. Lost in the past.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Clue 2
    "Your mum used to make you do this as a child"

Eat Cabbage after she had boiled it for a couple of hours,

• I seem to remember Micky Simpson being a fine exponent of the shirt being tucked in...

• @frequentstander said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    My headteacher at RGS would gesture to boys walking home to tuck their shirts in as he drove past. Such a weird place, that school.

When were you there? I only left in 2012 and it still felt like that then!

• This must be a generational thing.

To me, a headmaster telling his pupils to tuck their shirts in doesn't seem remotely odd

• edited January 2022

In school, not odd at all, but they seemed to think they had jurisdiction outside school hours and outside the school premises. That felt weird. Maybe generational, but yeah.

• Just think yourself lucky, @ReturnToSenda, that you didn't have to wear a cap to/from RGS for the first 2 years!
    I think they'd only just started letting us wear long trousers too.

• @Twizz said:
    Just think yourself lucky, @ReturnToSenda, that you didn't have to wear a cap to/from RGS for the first 2 years!
    I think they'd only just started letting us wear long trousers too.

I wouldn't actually have minded having to wear a cap - but shorts... Oh no.

• @bicester_blue said:
    At the start the teams came out after each other - Sunderland first, followed by WWFC.

Is this a COVID related protocol?

I've been to matches in recent months where they have scrapped the utterly pointless pre match handshakes and reverted to both teams just running out ready to go. Not sure if that's also COVID related?

• Tucked in shirts. No running in corridor. No chewing in class. Clean shoes. Size of tie knot. Lots of caning opportunities for the average Comp Headteacher in my day...and they all seem to have been in the war! :smile:

• Our headmaster always used to trot out the line that as we were wearing the uniform of the school we were ambassadors for the school and so school rules applied until we got home

• @eric_plant said:
    Our headmaster always used to trot out the line that as we were wearing the uniform of the school we were ambassadors for the school and so school rules applied until we got home

Standard practice when I was at secondary school in the early mid 90s in South Bucks. My son is at John Hampden and I know it is still the case there but my daughter at Beaconsfield School it doesn't seem to be as applicable anymore.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@frequentstander said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

When were you there? I only left in 2012 and it still felt like that then!

Last year 2014.
    Wasn't so much commenting on headmaster - more so on the general arrogance of the school when cracks were quite obviously beginning to show. This is now evident in the significant decline in the league tables since.

• My son attends RGS. A lot has changed, but many things remain from my time there, including a few teachers still!

I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask pupils to be smart when in uniform. It’s a come a long way from me getting a detention for wearing DMs or getting sent home after I had my head shaved.

Others may have had different experiences but the pastoral care there now is excellent, although very stretched with the fallout of the pandemic on our children’s mental health.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    My son attends RGS. A lot has changed, but many things remain from my time there, including a few teachers still!

I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask pupils to be smart when in uniform. It’s a come a long way from me getting a detention for wearing DMs or getting sent home after I had my head shaved.

Others may have had different experiences but the pastoral care there now is excellent, although very stretched with the fallout of the pandemic on our children’s mental health.

They effectively told someone in my year to grow his hair back after he had it cut too short ?

• In fairness, I was there at the end of Tim Dingle's time as headmaster. Now that really was scandalous (look it up)!

• Yes, I had mine shaved as I was already losing my mop, but it was before Bruce Willis made shaved baldies cool, so it was assumed I was a nazi sympathiser! That was back in Roly Brown’s time.

Yes, Dingle was certainly a ‘character’. I must say the current head is very professional and very supportive of boys and staff.

• @Lloyd2084 said:

It’s a come a long way from me getting a detention for wearing DMs or getting sent home after I had my head shaved.

DMs (and snorkel parka in winter) were a must in my day, but as I say I was at an inner city comp on a council estate. Teachers may have been strict on uniform but they were not going to argue with some of the local parents about footwear!

• Surely a guy with a tucked in shirt isn't so unusual it needs a thread. Blooming heck :D

And why on earth are you noticing something like that in the middle of a 3-3 thriller!?

• edited January 2022

@Lloyd2084 said:
    My son attends RGS. A lot has changed, but many things remain from my time there, including a few teachers still!

The thing I've always wondered about with the old days of having to "suit up" at school, was that I've never had to dress that smart since, in countless office jobs!

Having said that, I still think that first year at grammar school was the hardest work load of any year, at school, uni, or in 20 or so years of professional jobs afterwards too!

• School was great until the sorting hat put me in Hufflepuff...

• Sorry @LeedsBlue - me no understand.

• Harry Potter @micra. I'm sure you weren't a Slytherin.

• Now there's a thread - which Hogwarts house would various Gasroomers be sorted into based on their personality traits.

• This will really separate the millennials from the old fogeys

• There a certainly a few Death Eaters...people who leg it when times are good but are back like a rash when things look bad. (I had to read the books to my child...)