Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our attacking four

We are indeed in a very good period for our attacking strength. With Vokes, McCleary, Mehmeti and Hanlan we have possibly the best attacking force we have had in a long time.
We are blessed to be able to support WWFC at this time.

Β«1

Comments

  • @Blue_since_1990 said:
    We are indeed in a very good period for our attacking strength. With Vokes, McCleary, Mehmeti and Hanlan we have possibly the best attacking force we have had in a long time.
    We are blessed to be able to support WWFC at this time.

    Agreed, I can't remember as good a front line in my time watching Wycombe (which started with the Tony Adams years I am sorry to say). We are a long way ahead of the Hayes and Thommo era when I desperately tried to convince my kids to come and watch Wycombe as goals would be scored.

  • Absolute madness that Daryl Horgan is a Wycombe player but can't get in the team

  • @Forest_Blue Hopefully you took them to White Hart Lane to see them both score absolute beauties.. and have they finally caught the Wycombe bug yet?

  • Horgan's a bit of an enigma. I'd really like to see him getting more minutes. Perhaps he'll get a start at Bolton on Tuesday.

    Hanlan is more direct and offers more goal threat, but Horgan links things up and holds on to the ball much more effectively. He also has a nice partnership with McCleary who I think plays better with Horgan in the side.

    Tough decision for GA, but it would be good to see more if Horgan. Hanlan has plenty of qualities, but can at times struggle to keep hold of the ball.

  • We still looked way too open in the second half yesterday, although if we can replicate yesterday's attacking performance in other games, we might be ok cramming all four of them into the side.

  • @ReturnToSenda said:
    We still looked way too open in the second half yesterday, although if we can replicate yesterday's attacking performance in other games, we might be ok cramming all four of them into the side.

    We’re basically playing without a midfield at the moment so every games seems to be very end to end. It is certainly entertaining but leaves us exposed when one or more of the centre backs has to go marauding into midfield to make up the numbers.

  • The thread started with mention of our 4 from yesterday, and then moved on to discuss Horgs. If we’re doing any cramming, it would be a fantasy β€œall five” of Han, Horgs, Gmac, Mehmessi and Vokes. Hell, why not go all 1930s 2-3-5... JJ / Tools - Jmac / Josh / Obita - Gmac / Hanlan / Vokes / Mehmessi / Horgs. Liquid football...

    (Note to @Micra this is just flippant Sunday morning fantasising on my part)

  • Vokes was doing a lot of tracking back yesterday and he's not the fastest.

  • @LeedsBlue said:
    The thread started with mention of our 4 from yesterday, and then moved on to discuss Horgs. If we’re doing any cramming, it would be a fantasy β€œall five” of Han, Horgs, Gmac, Mehmessi and Vokes. Hell, why not go all 1930s 2-3-5... JJ / Tools - Jmac / Josh / Obita - Gmac / Hanlan / Vokes / Mehmessi / Horgs. Liquid football...

    (Note to @Micra this is just flippant Sunday morning fantasising on my part)

    Except the liquid would be diarrhoea

  • You have no imagination!

  • @LeedsBlue said:
    You have no imagination!

    I'm imagining how defensively exposed we'd be and what that would do to the bowels of everyone in the ground!

  • β€œ6-5... we’re gonna win 6-5!!”

    But seriously, it’s that old conundrum of fitting your flair players in at the expense of some solidity. I imagine if Curtis had played yesterday instead of Anis, we may well have ground out a 0-0 or a 1-1, patted ourselves on the back for keeping them at arm’s length, but been no better off.

    Who would be a football manager? Not me, for sure... πŸ€”

  • @Wendoverman said:
    Vokes was doing a lot of tracking back yesterday and he's not the fastest.

    45 pace on FIFA which initially I thought was a bit harsh, but in truth is probably fair πŸ˜‚

  • @ReturnToSenda said:

    @LeedsBlue said:
    The thread started with mention of our 4 from yesterday, and then moved on to discuss Horgs. If we’re doing any cramming, it would be a fantasy β€œall five” of Han, Horgs, Gmac, Mehmessi and Vokes. Hell, why not go all 1930s 2-3-5... JJ / Tools - Jmac / Josh / Obita - Gmac / Hanlan / Vokes / Mehmessi / Horgs. Liquid football...

    (Note to @Micra this is just flippant Sunday morning fantasising on my part)

    Except the liquid would be diarrhoea

    Brilliant @ReturnToSenda and no need for the explanation from either of you! Probably reflects badly on me but anything lavatorial ticks the tickled box.

    Impressed by the spelling too!

  • Contrary to Lee Johnson’s comments about contrasting styles (perhaps based on expectations rather than observation), the lasting mental images I have of that game have us repeatedly attacking, often with silky smooth passing movements, and having to negotiate substantial defensive barriers. In stark contrast (especially in the second half) there were often only three or four players (including Stockdale) in our half when they mounted their long ball breakaway attacks.

    Hope no one at the University of Bolton Stadium is reading this. They’ll be planning to park the bus.

  • @Wycombe85 said:
    Horgan's a bit of an enigma. I'd really like to see him getting more minutes. Perhaps he'll get a start at Bolton on Tuesday.

    Hanlan is more direct and offers more goal threat, but Horgan links things up and holds on to the ball much more effectively. He also has a nice partnership with McCleary who I think plays better with Horgan in the side.

    Tough decision for GA, but it would be good to see more if Horgan. Hanlan has plenty of qualities, but can at times struggle to keep hold of the ball.

    Very much disagree with this. I think Hanlan is a far more effective player than Horgan, and should be keeping Horgan out of the team (as he is atm). The latter has largely underwhelmed at Wycombe imo. Only one league goal in one and a half seasons (a scuff against Morecambe which the keeper let in). In contrast, Hanlan has been a revelation this year

  • I thought Jordan Obita had one of his best games for us yesterday. He didn’t come under as much pressure as Jack Grimmer did on the right and was able to get well forward at times. His link up play with Gmac has been a regular and very impressive feature this season, no doubt reflecting their shared background over many seasons at Reading. Wikipedia stats show 9 appearances and no goals. I’m sure he’s played more games than that and didn’t he score from a screamer of a free kick in one game?

    Tempting to talk about Our Attacking Five!

  • Hanlan is 80% of a brilliant player. He just needs a bit of tweaking and a bit more thinking and he will be an outstanding striker for us. Certainly one of his better performances yesterday. He now needs to have 2, 3, 4 games with that level of performance on the bounce.

  • @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Hanlan is 80% of a brilliant player. He just needs a bit of tweaking and a bit more thinking and he will be an outstanding striker for us. Certainly one of his better performances yesterday. He now needs to have 2, 3, 4 games with that level of performance on the bounce.

    If he was 100% of a brilliant player he wouldn’t be at Wycombe Wanderers!

  • Obita just keeps getting better for us, I think. Often an unsung hero.

  • @WanderingDays said:

    @Wycombe85 said:
    Horgan's a bit of an enigma. I'd really like to see him getting more minutes. Perhaps he'll get a start at Bolton on Tuesday.

    Hanlan is more direct and offers more goal threat, but Horgan links things up and holds on to the ball much more effectively. He also has a nice partnership with McCleary who I think plays better with Horgan in the side.

    Tough decision for GA, but it would be good to see more if Horgan. Hanlan has plenty of qualities, but can at times struggle to keep hold of the ball.

    Very much disagree with this. I think Hanlan is a far more effective player than Horgan, and should be keeping Horgan out of the team (as he is atm). The latter has largely underwhelmed at Wycombe imo. Only one league goal in one and a half seasons (a scuff against Morecambe which the keeper let in). In contrast, Hanlan has been a revelation this year

    People have short memories, Horgan was fantastic at the start of the season and only lost his place for going on international duty, I think he needs to start more matches. I'm not knocking Hanlan, he's had a great start for us, but think he could've been rested a couple of games, as a friend of mine said about him " he's a bit like a Toblerone, when the ball goes to him your not sure if it's going to stick or what direction it'll fly off in"

  • @LeedsBlue said:
    @Forest_Blue Hopefully you took them to White Hart Lane to see them both score absolute beauties.. and have they finally caught the Wycombe bug yet?

    That was a special day for the Hayes and Thommo combo…great scenes. It’s three season tickets now so yes, they are keen Wycombe fans…still plenty of love for Forest too…

  • @HolmerBlue said:

    @WanderingDays said:

    @Wycombe85 said:
    Horgan's a bit of an enigma. I'd really like to see him getting more minutes. Perhaps he'll get a start at Bolton on Tuesday.

    Hanlan is more direct and offers more goal threat, but Horgan links things up and holds on to the ball much more effectively. He also has a nice partnership with McCleary who I think plays better with Horgan in the side.

    Tough decision for GA, but it would be good to see more if Horgan. Hanlan has plenty of qualities, but can at times struggle to keep hold of the ball.

    Very much disagree with this. I think Hanlan is a far more effective player than Horgan, and should be keeping Horgan out of the team (as he is atm). The latter has largely underwhelmed at Wycombe imo. Only one league goal in one and a half seasons (a scuff against Morecambe which the keeper let in). In contrast, Hanlan has been a revelation this year

    People have short memories, Horgan was fantastic at the start of the season and only lost his place for going on international duty, I think he needs to start more matches. I'm not knocking Hanlan, he's had a great start for us, but think he could've been rested a couple of games, as a friend of mine said about him " he's a bit like a Toblerone, when the ball goes to him your not sure if it's going to stick or what direction it'll fly off in"

    Horgan can consider himself unlucky recently but I think fantastic is overdoing it too, Both have been inconsistent at times but Hanlon is a real goal threat as long as we aren't lumping it at him, he seems to favour a flick on or trying to squeeze through tight spaces rather than passing or dribbling at times and I thought he maybe needed resting after Ipswich but for a good spell in the second half yesterday he was a massive threat and could have been given a number of free kicks by a different ref.

  • I'm sure opposition defenders would prefer marking Horgan over marking Hanlan.

  • Hanlan has all the attributes to be a top player. Big, strong, quick and can beat a player. Must be an absolute nightmare to play against for defenders. He's at a good age and will only get better imo. Excellent signing.

  • It's not just a case of comparing Horgan to Hanlan though, but the impact on players around them. To my mind, we seem to be able to get McCleary involved much more with Horgan, as they link up together so we'll.

    It's a tough choice, I think Horgan holds the ball up better and links up our play nicely. Hanlan on the other hand is more directly threatening. He can be frustrating at times, when he's unable to keep hold of possession.

  • Nice to have the options but If we were to swap the two over I wonder if we might again be bemoaning a very isolated Vokes and nobody being on the end of decent balls Horgan sends in. In the current formation it would rely on McCleary doing more centrally too whereas he's great roaming and out wide.
    Will be time for both yet but looks like Horgan might be Anis's understudy at the moment.

  • For some reason yesterday Hanlan was getting onto the end of Vokes’s flicks time after time. In previous games it’s not been the case. Maybe a tweak in tactics maybe Vokes winning pretty much everything. If they build on this he will get his fair share of chances. The perfectly good goal he scored after β€˜fouling’ their defender yesterday showed his technical ability.

  • @micra said:
    I thought Jordan Obita had one of his best games for us yesterday. He didn’t come under as much pressure as Jack Grimmer did on the right and was able to get well forward at times. His link up play with Gmac has been a regular and very impressive feature this season, no doubt reflecting their shared background over many seasons at Reading. Wikipedia stats show 9 appearances and no goals. I’m sure he’s played more games than that and didn’t he score from a screamer of a free kick in one game?

    Tempting to talk about Our Attacking Five!

    The Wiki summary bit you're looking at always annoyingly only includes league games, with the full record lower down the page.

    However, they've clearly not updated it. We've played around 30 games including cups this year and he must have featured in most of them.

  • edited January 9

    He's played 32/33

Β«1
Sign In or Register to comment.