Skip to content

Sunderland game at risk...

Comments

• I imagine they all believe that Verstappen only beat Hamilton to the F1 title on a technicality too.

• The EFL have totally fucked this. Quite simply, it is not going to be sustainable to keep postponing fixtures every time a club has a few covid cases. So they need to start forcing teams to play. Unfortunately they’ve now set a precedent which could well lead to the season not being completed.

• One of the most concerning consequences of the game being postponed at short notice would be the sheer waste of perishable food - unless most of it is supplied on a Just In Time (JIT) basis.

• Love a cut and paste job don’t they. Makes me laugh how some of them mock us and other small teams in the league but at the end of the day they know they have a shit team by their own standards of days gone by.

Cheesy chips for a quid anyone ??

• I quote
    ‘ Made me laugh there’s a post which includes a piece on how they’re buzzing they’ve sold out their car park lol’

There’s a reason parking is important to most Wycombe fans but don’t you worry son just drive to the game get there just before kick off and I’m sure you’ll get in

• Ah Sunderland... They used to cut and paste from the forums of Man United and Liverpool, now it's Wycombe Wanderers and Accrington Stanley. Unlucky lads.

• So Sunderland have at most 4 cases, possibly 3, and 2 of which are players who wouldn’t have been able to play in the game anyway. Hmm.

Funny how many of the clubs who slammed us for not playing in 2020 are the ones refusing to play this year.

If the game is called off, I hope we come out as a club as Wimbledon did and say it’s ridiculous.

• Yet another club "too big" for league 1, playing the likes of us. I think they secretly like being in this league, as every season they can be the Man United of league 1.

• In the press conference, Johnson was asked about whether Alves was going back to his parent club and said something to the effect of, "he's not going anywhere at the moment - he's got Covid". He went on to say that there were a few more cases and Covid seemed to be closing in. And then, later on, asked about an injury, said that there were some concerns, but was cagey on the detail - not quite the Wycombe injury omerta, but not far off.

If it was an exercise in preparing the public for a postponement, I'd say it was extraordinarily subtle. And to be honest, if I was him I'd be pretty desperate to play, given the form Sunderland are in.

• Just for the record we want to play the game on Saturday, we are desperate to play the game on Saturday and this story like so many others in the press is purely page filler. So let’s just focus on the football.

• Thanks @Safc_in_peace, just goes to show how we respond to media. If we were face to face over a beer, there'd be no issues, just football talk. We all do a bit of digging at the opposition but we respect one another as fans of our respective clubs (apart from Plymouth, Derby, Peterborough.........??)

• The story is a direct quote from Lee Johnson so it's not some made up paper tosh.... For a change

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I quote
    ‘ Made me laugh there’s a post which includes a piece on how they’re buzzing they’ve sold out their car park lol’

There’s a reason parking is important to most Wycombe fans but don’t you worry son just drive to the game get there just before kick off and I’m sure you’ll get in

The Sunderland fan's got a point.

Don't think the car park selling out is included as a warning to fans not to drive to the ground. As seen by the headline "Family Stand close to sell-out for Sunderland match". Just an attempt to create a buzz around the game.

• @Username said:
    The story is a direct quote from Lee Johnson so it's not some made up paper tosh.... For a change

Have you never heard of mind games?

• You'd have to be a bit of a dick to use Covid for mind games

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@Username said:
    The story is a direct quote from Lee Johnson so it's not some made up paper tosh.... For a change

Of course, but that doesn't make it paper talk when it's your manager's direct quote saying the game is in doubt

Looks like you have generally tried to play your matches this season so hopefully it'll all be fine for Saturday

• Anyone know the latest time this game can be called off?

• I think they no longer do game day testing so the last round of testing will be tomorrow (Friday). You'd assume it therefore can't be called off for COVID after Friday, especially as the Sunderland squad will be travelling (at the latest) tomorrow afternoon.

• edited January 2022

@LX1 said:
    Anyone know the latest time this game can be called off?

12:31 cAusE wYcOmBe ArE sUcH tImEwAsTeErS

• As with all of this guff...Manager is asked (usually the same) set of questions.
    Injuries? What do you think of opposition? Online unhappiness? Ref in last game? Mood in camp? What do you think about being connected to the job at XXXXX? Oh...and Covid?Manager gives an answer. We examine video. Hack has to excite editor/site manager with article.
    Then we all decide what is pretentious manager-speak, club propaganda, lies, misinformation and 'mind games' (c. Arex Ferguson)
    Most fans want games to go ahead...until they lose...in which case there will be demands for an inquest into why our depleted squad was forced to play! :smile:

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@Username said:

The only reason I can think of for mind games is to put doubt in the minds of Wycombe supporters that the game will be on so that our crowd is less - people make plans to watch on tv - people leave it later that they would - there is less build up of anticipation.

Wrong thinking though!

What Lee Johnson hasn't worked out is that Adams Park will be buzzing for this game and it is just as important to us as it is to them, perhaps even more so. Adams Park full for a Championship game as soon as possible please. Moreover once our lads have played their hearts out on Saturday, we will be looking forward to doing the same against Oxford and franchise and with a festival of other 'important' home games to look forward to later in the season.

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@Username said:

Must be the equivalent of "You know what you're going to get from Wycombe", trotted out by managers after a game in which they have failed to deal with what they knew they were going to get from Wycombe.

• @Safc_in_peace said:
    Just for the record we want to play the game on Saturday, we are desperate to play the game on Saturday and this story like so many others in the press is purely page filler. So let’s just focus on the football.

Johnson has a dilemma here, he's ravaged by injuries and now missing players due to Covid, however he knows we have key injuries and players missing due to the African Cup of Nations and Covid. Our two key CB's did not play against Charlton.

Mind games they could be but he won't want to lose this game and may feel that a rearranged fixture in February might suit.

• I reckon Sky may be putting some pressure on

• I still don't get how people do not understand PPG! Oh well.

As a suggestion, perhaps all media outlets should publish two tables every week whilst we have the threat of covid. So it is really clear where your team is in the table based on PPG and standard table.

The excellent Independent Grimsby Town website is sort of doing that:

https://thefishy.co.uk/leaguetable.php?table=3

Currently Wigan would go from 3rd to 1st, dropping Sunderland into the play-offs.

Down the other end Lincoln would move up two places, putting Fleetwood into the final relegation spot.

• Roker Report are the whiniest, most entitled fan site I've ever come across

• edited January 2022

I do get their frustration, just look at their record:

Seasons spent at Level 1 of the football league system: 87
    Seasons spent at Level 2 of the football league system: 30
    Seasons spent at Level 3 of the football league system: 5
    Seasons spent at Level 4 of the football league system: 0

4 of those 5 have been the last 4 seasons!

71% of seasons played in the top flight. Very impressive!

Last 50 seasons though - 23 in top flight, 22 in 2nd tier and 5 in 3rd tier. Essentially a Yo Yo club.

I'm sure if the season ended after 35 games or more, they wouldn't accept moving up the table on PPG.

• It’s a long stay car park @bluntphil ??