Skip to content

Rob’s new year message

Comments

• It will be interesting to see the price.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    It will be interesting to see the price.

I'd take a wild stab that it'll be more than we expect. I mean if a burger is £8

• My initial thought was that they would ratchet the price up for Wycombe TV for non-subscribers but I see Forest also charge £10 per match. Is there a 'cap' as such?

• @Onlooker said:
    My initial thought was that they would ratchet the price up for Wycombe TV for non-subscribers but I see Forest also charge £10 per match. Is there a 'cap' as such?

£10 is already pretty poor value really, when you can get a month of Bt sports or sky for 20-25.
    The prem fatcats saw what happened when they tried pay per view at £15 a game, so it's hard to see a tenner increasing.

• As a season ticket holder who waived my refund last season I'm still waiting for all the promises Rob Couhig made at the time to materialise. I appreciate that not progressing in the FA Cup means I'm unlikely to benefit from being "guaranteed the absolute highest priority status that probably any season ticket holder has benefitted from in the history of this club" but it was a little galling a few weeks ago when the lounge I normally go to after the match was closed for a private party when I still haven't received my invitation to the promised "exclusive party" for those of us who stuck our hands in our pockets.
    Trust me (as Rob likes to say) I won't be doing it again.

• edited January 2022

@Sherrinford said:
    As a season ticket holder who waived my refund last season I'm still waiting for all the promises Rob Couhig made at the time to materialise. I appreciate that not progressing in the FA Cup means I'm unlikely to benefit from being "guaranteed the absolute highest priority status that probably any season ticket holder has benefitted from in the history of this club" but it was a little galling a few weeks ago when the lounge I normally go to after the match was closed for a private party when I still haven't received my invitation to the promised "exclusive party" for those of us who stuck our hands in our pockets.

A massive party probably hasn't felt the wisest thing to do in the covid era.

And just as a reminder, the generous waiver you, myself and others took was out of the goodness of our own hearts, it wasn't to get stuff. So no-one has been cheated or anything.

• Well said @Malone. I suspect @Sherrinford's view on the subject is not shared by the vast majority of Wycombe fans who have the clubs interests at heart.

• @Sherrinford said:
    As a season ticket holder who waived my refund last season I'm still waiting for all the promises Rob Couhig made at the time to materialise. I appreciate that not progressing in the FA Cup means I'm unlikely to benefit from being "guaranteed the absolute highest priority status that probably any season ticket holder has benefitted from in the history of this club" but it was a little galling a few weeks ago when the lounge I normally go to after the match was closed for a private party when I still haven't received my invitation to the promised "exclusive party" for those of us who stuck our hands in our pockets.

I’m a worrier
    This club has given me some of the best memories of my life, cup runs, Wembley finals, last minute comebacks and goals that have left me amazed and delighted so when in the middle of a worldwide pandemic they asked me if I afford to wave a refund I wasn’t expecting anyway I said yes.
    Some of us couldn’t do that for totally understandable reasons but I could and if it helped in a small way to leave my club a little more secure in an unstable world and I’m not worrying about the football part of my life then that’s my exclusive party woohoo ?

• edited January 2022

@Malone said:

@Sherrinford said:

A massive party probably hasn't felt the wisest thing to do in the covid era.

And just as a reminder, the generous waiver you, myself and others took was out of the goodness of our own hearts, it wasn't to get stuff. So no-one has been cheated or anything.

No one has been cheated and I don't think it's worth getting that upset about - I'm sure the party will come, give Rob a nudge to see what the plan is - but, much like with the toilets, it's understandable that there's a certain sense of 'over-promise, under-deliver'.

• Isn’t the Frank Adams roof a priority before the toilets?

• @peterparrotface said:
    Isn’t the Frank Adams roof a priority before the toilets?

Spoke to Trevor Stroud about this in the summer and he said it came through the latest check fine

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@peterparrotface said:

Spoke to Trevor Stroud about this in the summer and he said it came through the latest check fine

Sure the people buying the most expensive tickets to sit with a puddle of water around their feet and getting dripped on, even the driest day, are pleased to hear that.

Great view for the fireworks though.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@peterparrotface said:

Spoke to Trevor Stroud about this in the summer and he said it came through the latest check fine. But is it still leaking?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@peterparrotface said:

Cheers. Has there been some work done on it in the last couple of years then?

• Still a leaking roof problem in The Frank Adams Stand when it rains during a match.
    I sit in block Q row D. Earlier this season a friend sat next to me had a constant drip on his head and shoulders. Indeed three of us had puddles of water around our feet. He changed his seat location. At the time he spoke with a steward who said he could not help in this situation. I am sure that is the reason he able to change his seat.

• @peterparrotface said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@peterparrotface said:

Cheers. Has there been some work done on it in the last couple of years then?

From what I remember, it didn't need any structural work doing from a safety POV so wasn't a priority. But if it's still leaking then obviously it needs sorting out.

• I have noticed that championship strugglers Peterborough United have also opted out of ifollow and now have their own platform Posh+. Same match
    pricing as ifollow.

• I'd be interested to know, if we abandon ifollow, how would fans access coverage of away midweek matches?
    Would we need to purchase these from the home club, rather than WWFC as we do now, and in doing so deprive WWFC of the monies?

• the iFollow coverage of the last two games provides a good indication of how awful it generally is. As a subscriber (is it £40 a year?) I get access to the extended highlights, but the commentary is awful - routinely getting players' names wrong and getting straightforward facts wrong - e.g. for the New Year's Day game, stating authoritatively that is was our first ever win over Charlton. So not only ignoring the league cup win at the valley in 2006, but also the win at Adams Park this very season.

And they provide a replay of just about every tedious incident they choose to cover (wasting a good portion of the 10 minutes allowed), whilst choosing not to cover other interesting incidents - particularly the contentious decisions you'd love to see again (penalty claims, handballs), in my experience. So for the Ipswich game, there was 10 minutes of highlights, but no coverage of the moment where McCarthy gets through on goal and is chopped down, or the chance that came Vokes' way in the first half after some hamfisted Ipswich defending.

Overall, the iFollow highlights just seems so lazy. Couple that with the loss oif the historic highlights this year and it's a pretty poor offer. So I'd be happy to see the club try to develop a better product, and am confident that it could, so long as we retain the excellent commentary from @bluntphil .

• @Malone said:

@Onlooker said:
    My initial thought was that they would ratchet the price up for Wycombe TV for non-subscribers but I see Forest also charge £10 per match. Is there a 'cap' as such?

£10 is already pretty poor value really, when you can get a month of Bt sports or sky for 20-25.
    The prem fatcats saw what happened when they tried pay per view at £15 a game, so it's hard to see a tenner increasing.

I disagree regarding "poor value" but as I may watch some Pompous League and admire
    the level of skill, I despise the diving and the pretentious putting their handover the mouth when they talk. (I doubt they are solving world peace). But mostly I couldn't give a ##it who wins. Whilst paying my £10 I can watch the team I support when I cannot make it to the game. On a slightly different tack, I do not think we should be able to watch games without being their. Football should be live at the ground. Any 14 year old can find a way around out dated rules. (we all have colleagues that support one of the big six that have never seen them live).

• @Malone said:

@Onlooker said:

Bulk Supply and demand unfortunately, if half a million people want to watch a game it's going to cost less per person than one of ours. Have to be some games on ifollow getting figures in low hundreds.

• If food revenues are going up despite £8 burgers no-one on here buys and Wycfollow has been highlighted as the next improvement, I suspect hot water, reasonable loos, roof repairs and parties for ST holders are not high on the agenda at the moment.

• I can’t understand the need for some fans to get a party. Does anyone actually like vol-au-vonts

• Unlike burgers and broadcasting you can’t monetise ‘reasonable loos’ or ‘roof repairs’. I guess you could the ‘hot water’ but there might be objections!
    Side note: the US is one of the few countries that does not recognise the international directive of “a right to water”, just saying.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited January 2022

@Fit2drop If the live experience is superior to the streaming version (and it is for many reasons) than those who can attend will attend. Streaming the games live caters to a massive market of Chairboys fans both domestic and international who for reasons temporary or permanent cannot attend games in person. Take away streaming and the result will not be those people attending, but they and the club will be poorer (the former in a spiritual sense and the latter in a financial sense).

• I don’t care about any party, I left my money in to help the club and the fact we were given free access to iFollow etc.
    The toilets are another point altogether as they are truly disgusting. Hot water to wash our hands is essential and should be a standard provision.

Come on Rob get this sorted as enough people have highlighted how poor the facilities are and they have not improved over the time you have been in charge. Yes you have done a lot of positive things for which we are grateful (the £8 burger aside) but the toilets must be right as that is hygiene.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub the Posh+ offering does not include live match day streaming.

• I agree about toilets and I trust that this is on the Couhig's radar. I'd speculate that the original idea around the 'party' was to get the squad in to meet the benefactors and that Covid protocols have scuppered that for the foreseeable. I'm not too worried personally as all our lives have changed beyond recognition through the pandemic.

• edited January 2022

I suspect the party was offered back in the era of Boris Johnson's rose-tinted '12 weeks to send the virus packing'. As we now know, this was a crock of shit as are most of his pronouncements.

It would be very unwise to commit to organising such a thing until the risk of restrictions are much lower than they are now.

The toilets are pretty bleak though and Rob did make a big thing about this at takeover time. If he'd not raised expectations there we probably wouldn't be talking about it, as most football ground toilets are equally awful.

• I don't think Rob ever put a timescale on it, but I can understand why people would feel it's been forgotten about.