Skip to content

Sunderland pre match chat

Comments

• Curse of the of the MOTM award is in the Black Cats.
    Come on you Chairboys!!!!!!

• @our_frank said:
    @Safc_in_peace You must be pretty chuffed about the way the season is going so far. Have you been surprised by the prominence of the young players in the success to date?

I wish you and your fellow travellers a good journey tomorrow. Wretched thing to do to you to make it a 12.30 kick-off.

We certainly have a few good young kids in the team, three England under 20 internationals. Of those DanNeil was here all along and we have not been surprised at the impact he has made, it has always been clear that he has the qualities to play at the highest level, he has just signed a four year contract, so if we go up he stays, if not we get money to rebuild (we are not flush with money and the new owners are running the club on a sustainable budget, yes more than most in this league, but not as much as others think). The others have come about by applying good data to our recruitment plans, rather than just buying players with experience of promotion from this league, after all there is a reason those players are returning to league 1.

Not teenagers but the two German lads have made an impact as well, for the first time in a good few years we have a keeper who is not costing us points.

The outstanding youngish signing has been Broadhead but he is out until March.

Are we surprised? Not really, we could see the changes in recruitment, good quality young talent with a desire to improve and a few older heads with clear quality who have fallen from their early promise, such as Alex Pritchard, over £10m few years ago, but cost us nothing. This low cost recruitment has been a feature or how we are building a new team, I think our total spend in the summer was less than £1m.

• "I think our total spend in the summer was less than £1m."

I'm not sure our total spend in the last 20 years is even £1m, we are still worlds apart from what Sunderland are still spending.

This season we have seen the emergence of Chris Forino in the last four games at CB, who has come in due to injuries. A player we signed from a University at 21 having dropped out the system, while Sunderland have signed two CB's on loan from Man City and West Ham.

I still have to pinch myself to see us two places behind Sunderland and above the likes of Ipswich, Portsmouth, Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday and Bolton.

In Gareth we trust.

• @Safc_in_peace I know there is some debate about Johnson...what is your view? Hanging on by skin of teeth and good results or actually making effective changes for the long term?

• @Wendoverman said:
    @Safc_in_peace I know there is some debate about Johnson...what is your view? Hanging on by skin of teeth and good results or actually making effective changes for the long term?

Doing a very good job, bringing good talent through and has us playing an attractive style of attacking football. He has the tendency to have streaks but his unbeaten streaks are getting shorter which is good. He seems a good fit with the director of football, Speakman. Speakman is the key to the big changes at the club.

If we go up Johnson could be here for a long time, if we don’t he will go and Speakman will find another manager to fit the club’s philosophy.

• @wwfcblue said:
    "I think our total spend in the summer was less than £1m."

I'm not sure our total spend in the last 20 years is even £1m, we are still worlds apart from what Sunderland are still spending.

This season we have seen the emergence of Chris Forino in the last four games at CB, who has come in due to injuries. A player we signed from a University at 21 having dropped out the system, while Sunderland have signed two CB's on loan from Man City and West Ham.

I still have to pinch myself to see us two places behind Sunderland and above the likes of Ipswich, Portsmouth, Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday and Bolton.

In Gareth we trust.

The loanee from West Ham has hardly featured and there has been talk of him being sent back in the window, the big signing , showing how far we have come in a year was Cirkin, from Spurs, they wanted to keep him, but he saw his future here as a 19 year old England international playing every week. He is just coming back from injury so will likely be on the bench, especially as we are now playing three at the back with very attacking wing backs.

Mind you that formation could be our undoing at times as with the wing backs upfield we can be caught out with balls over the top into the corners.

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@Wendoverman said:
    @Safc_in_peace I know there is some debate about Johnson...what is your view? Hanging on by skin of teeth and good results or actually making effective changes for the long term?

Doing a very good job, bringing good talent through and has us playing an attractive style of attacking football. He has the tendency to have streaks but his unbeaten streaks are getting shorter which is good. He seems a good fit with the director of football, Speakman. Speakman is the key to the big changes at the club.

If we go up Johnson could be here for a long time, if we don’t he will go and Speakman will find another manager to fit the club’s philosophy.

What is your club's "philosophy" out of interest?

• @Malone said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Wendoverman said:

Using data to assess all signings to fit in with a fast paced passing style playing out from the back. Only bringing in players with potential to improve and not signing ageing journeymen, looking for a last payday.

• Sounds like the Brentford model.

• Luckily most often when we sign a journeyman (aging or rejected) they always still seem to have something to prove.

• @Malone said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Wendoverman said:

'We're too big for this farmers' league, wahhh!'

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Wendoverman said:

Where did I saw that?

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Wendoverman said:

Where did I saw that?

Not you, although that is pretty much Roker Report's attitude. Out of interest, what do Sunderland fans generally think of them? Obviously they're pretty prominent. Someone from there also laid right into us in the FourFourTwo season preview, which I hope we've got pinned on the dressing room wall for motivation.

• Can I make a suggestion @Safc_in_peace. Wait until you get to the ground to eat. Then enjoy the pleasures of Funky Elephant - who are in the away fan village. You may not thank us for much but you will for that.

• Wait, are Funky Elephant exclusively in the away village? Poo.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Wait, are Funky Elephant exclusively in the away village? Poo.

Not exclusively. Just where they are. They were there for the Ipswich game too. No stopping me when I want my curry goat.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Not exclusively. Just where they are. They were there for the Ipswich game too. No stopping me when I want my curry goat.

Ah, gotcha! I think I will be paying a visit then.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Enter "Biker Grove" into Youtube, and copy the accent for a bit and I'm sure you'll fit in.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Wendoverman said:

Where did I saw that?

• Bit cheap that @ReturnToSenda @Safc_in_peace does not seem to be coming from the angry corner of Ready to Go.

• @Malone not sure imitation of a Geordie accent would be well received,

• @Wendoverman said:
    Bit cheap that @ReturnToSenda @Safc_in_peace does not seem to be coming from the angry corner of Ready to Go.

What was?

• https://www.not606.com/threads/wycombe-wanderers-v-sunderland-–-saturday-8th-january-2022-ko-12-30.398091/page-4

Here is the preview of the game from one of our forums.

• https://www.not606.com/threads/wycombe-wanderers-v-sunderland-–-saturday-8th-january-2022-ko-12-30.398091/page-4

Here is the preview of the game from one of our forums.

• For some reason the link doesn’t work . Just go to not606 Sunderland. Much better then SMB

• @Safc_in_peace I've noticed that SMB is full of so much hate, is it your main message board ?

• @HolmerBlue said:
    @Safc_in_peace I've noticed that SMB is full of so much hate, is it your main message board ?

We have two SMB has more members but not606 is better

• @Safc_in_peace I hope you have a safe journey and a great day out, apart from the result that is.