Skip to content

Charlton Athletic (a) - Attendance Prediction Thread Match 24 - Sat 1st Jan 2022

2»

Comments

• Only 28 predictions in and apologies if people look for reminders.

We say

Average for Total Crowd: 24379
    Average for Away Crowd 830

• A great effort from us. If i'd remembered to make a prediction this would have been it!

• Whilst many of us are close to the Chairboys number we all seem pretty way off on the overall attendance

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    Whilst many of us are close to the Chairboys number we all seem pretty way off on the overall attendance

@Manboobs set a bench mark which we all seemed to follow (I did anyway).

• @micra said:
    When was the last time Wycombe performed in front of 50,000 people in four days?

Gross underestimate! Charlton 30% below “par”.

• A significant reduction on their recent attendances and you could tell in the ground, it felt very empty in places.

• Oddly low home attendance for NYD and first home game for manager.

• The current COVID wave is having a big impact on footfall in every venue I’ve been to in the last few weeks. Just as well the nation is doing the sensible thing

• @Twizz said:

@Erroll_Sims said:
    Whilst many of us are close to the Chairboys number we all seem pretty way off on the overall attendance

@Manboobs set a bench mark which we all seemed to follow (I did anyway).

I went off average attendances and forgot covid - for an NHS worker, a foolish mistake.

• edited January 2022

We’re Charlton still doing their ‘bring a friend for free offer’ for their season ticket holders? I had assumed they were but maybe not this week? Or they were but the COVID had an impact?

• To me, it didn't even look as many as the published figure. The home sections appeared not much more than half full. Maybe a lot of season ticket holders didn't turn up, on account of it only being little Wycombe.
    '1-0 on your big day out'. Perhaps not.

• edited January 2022

A Long Post this week because I wanted to find out why we were all so wrong with the total attendance.

First though a demonstration of how good we are:

Top ten for the Fantastic Away Support
    "You are only here for the Wycombe"

@Manboobs whose prediction of 876 was out by 3
    @Errol_Sims whose prediction of 864 was out by 9
    @YorkExile whose prediction of 888 was out by 15
    @micra whose prediction of 850 was out by 23
    @ForeverBlue whose prediction of 835 was out by 38
    @DevC whose prediction of 834 was out by 39
    @BlueBoy whose prediction of 832 was out by 41
    @username123 whose prediction of 825 was out by 48
    @a40 whose prediction of 824 was out by 49
    @railwaysteve whose prediction of 823 was out by 50

Congratualtions to @Manboobs, who not only was closest for our fantastic away support, and was one of the least far out in overall attendance competition.

Congratulation to @mooneyman who was the closest of the week for the total attendance [see below]

So regarding the total attendance - @Manboobs can't be asked to shoulder much of the blame to shoulder there for us all being out by thousands by being the first poster and posting a seductive set of sequential of numbers - 23456

A possible explanation

Charlton's three games home before Christmas were "Fill the Valley" - each season ticket holder could bring up to 3 people for free (to celebrate new owners).

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/61a0fa44e293b/jackson-bring-your-friends-bring-your-family-bring-your-voice-to-the-valley

Looks like we all missed this and the fact that the giveaway had finished at the end of the year.

Charlton's three home games in November and December against Plymouth, Ipswich and Cambridge had attendances in the 24,000 to 26,000 range.

Their 'boost the gate strategy' appears to have worked to an extent because yesterdays crowd was their fourth highest of the season, and maybe 2,000 - 3,000 more than they were getting before the giveaway. Their crowds for Portsmouth and Doncaster on Saturdays in late September and late October were mid 16,000's.

It is not possible to accurately quantify any covid stay away factor, but it can't be huge, unless @NewburyWanderer is correct and the official figures are a big overestimate because a substantial number of Charlton's 10k season ticket holders stayed away but were still counted.

Judging by the level of optimism in their forums, I don't give them much hope of retaining any extra fans for their next home league game against Fleetwood on 22nd Jan. They do play mk at home on Tues 4th Jan for pizzas and Norwich at home on Sun 9th Jan in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. As an aside we have probably done those two clubs a favour if they want to progress.

Shame I didn't do the research before the game.

Top ten for the Charlton game

@mooneyman whose prediction of 22222 was out by 3327
    @Will_i_ams whose prediction of 22685 was out by 3790
    @Glenactico whose prediction of 23100 was out by 4205
    @twizz whose prediction of 23220 was out by 4325
    @bookertease whose prediction of 23456 was out by 4561
    @Manboobs whose prediction of 23456 was out by 4561
    @micra whose prediction of 23859 was out by 4964
    @DJWYC whose prediction of 23876 was out by 4981
    @robin whose prediction of 23876 was out by 4981
    @SmiroludyBlue whose prediction of 24056 was out by 5161

Congratulations again to @mooneyman for being the closest and Forecaster of the Week.

On to the Sunderland game, again not easy to predict.