Skip to content

Pick 1 Game

Just seeing the Instagram post from the club with pics from Maine Road got me thinking…

If you could live through JUST ONE Wycombe match ever again which game would it be a why? Be interesting to hear the reasons, maybe who you were with, the day itself, importance of the game etc etc.

Oh, and have a happy new year folks x

Comments

• Wimbledon away in the cup. Most remarkable and emotional football match I have ever seen live. The Wycombe support was just incredible that night.

• @MBS said:
    Wimbledon away in the cup. Most remarkable and emotional football match I have ever seen live. The Wycombe support was just incredible that night.

What a fantastic shout ?

• @MBS said:
    Wimbledon away in the cup. Most remarkable and emotional football match I have ever seen live. The Wycombe support was just incredible that night.

That's a yes for me as well.

• Wimbledon away for me as well, closely followed by Leicester away

Both cup games for those that dont know how great cup games are

• I’ve been really blessed to have been to most of those iconic games and its really tough and because I have a final two but for the feeling that I walked away from the ground with it’s Leicester

• Wimbledon away. An unrepeatable night.

• Yep, Wimbledon away for me as well. Sorry for being unoriginal

• I'd be tempted to just pick a random match at Loakes Park. I love how we've developed as a club at AP, but it would be amazing to experience a game at the old ground again. So I'd be tempted to go for the 1-0 home win against Kidderminster where Andy Kerr smashed home a winner in front of a packed Gasworks End. Or maybe just a comfortable home win in front of a regular 1500-2000 crowd, where I could wander around the ground and enjoy different vantage points one last time.

Or perhaps even a great game from the past that I was too young for. AC Monza always sounded a fun night!

• edited December 2021

There's a clear winner already but mentions for the Bean game and the home leg of the Plymouth semi final for sheer joy. One of the quiet games with us not being very good and Tyson and Sergio setting the place on fire might be fun if it was a few and how about the Liverpool game still hoping the ref awards that last minute corner, McCarthy wanders forward and who knows.

• For all of the reasons stated, Wimbledon was such a classic and despite getting into the game half an hour late was still easily the best money I ever spent on a match ticket!

Lincoln away to stay up was both unbelievable and unbearable at the same time, and never want to go through that again. I missed Torquay.

I think my choice would be that final game at Loakes Park. I was only 8 or 9 and would love to appreciate the players on the pitch again (not just George Best), the return to quarters and the terracing and old main stand etc. But also I know of friends and family no longer here, which would make it a little more poignant too.

But wow that Wimbledon match ??

• Torquay was incredible but no-one in their right mind would ever want to re-live it. It was absolute torture

• San An cup sounds good about now

• Has to be Wimbledon away. PNE at Wembley was great for many reasons. Friends, family, coming from behind, great game, Beanhead

• eric and drcongo wrestling naked. I was just watching

• @LX1 said:
    eric and drcongo wrestling naked. I was just watching

I expect your into dogging as well!

• Leicester - sang all the way home and seemed to be floating for days after. Little Wycombe had reached the FA Cup semi-final!!!!!

• Torquay - mentally prepared for the worst, down for the weekend with friends, gorgeous weather, amazing atmosphere as despite the nerves we believed. Sitting outside a pub afterwards looking out to sea drinking another beer and hearing in the distance “Since I was young…” Will never forget that happy feeling as long as I live

• Tottenham away in the cup. One of the best games of football I have ever been at in 50 years of going to football. 2-0 up at half time and a great game despite the result.

• That is mine as well @Forest_Blue. We were so unlucky not to win that.

• edited December 2021

If each time I watched it, I didn’t know the result - so each time it was new, the play off final win. Hands down.

Everything that had gone before (cup runs, Torquay away, sharky, MoN years, even the pandemic not allowing us to be there, everything) came together for that moment for me.

• @username123 said:
    Just seeing the Instagram post from the club with pics from Maine Road got me thinking…

If you could live through JUST ONE Wycombe match ever again which game would it be a why? Be interesting to hear the reasons, maybe who you were with, the day itself, importance of the game etc etc.

Oh, and have a happy new year folks x

Wimbledon

But let’s face it we’ve had some stupid times

Lincoln
    Torquay
    Man City
    Leicester

Etc etc

• As a more recent arrivee, I would have to say White Hart Lane and I would try my best to get to Aaron Pierre the week before and say...don't tackle anyone in the box!
    (Not outside Tesco obviously!)

• We have had some great days out over the years. The most excited and proud I felt as a Wycombe supporter was our first league game at Carlisle.

• edited December 2021

@Wendoverman said:
    As a more recent arrivee, I would have to say White Hart Lane and I would try my best to get to Aaron Pierre the week before and say...don't tackle anyone in the box!
    (Not outside Tesco obviously!)

The finish to that game was so cruel it's still a shocker.

Just one longer kick from our keeper into touch and we probably win that game.
    To not even get a replay was just cruel.

As for the Tesco shenanigans, it was the strange shock from some that if you abuse a physically imposing strong bloke to his face, from a few yards away, that you might get some blow back!
    "But I do it every week from the safety of the back of the stand"

• The Beany game, for me (and the FA Cup semi if I could pick one to experience from 'before my time')

• Any big game at Loakes Park, at the time we yearned for covered ends and shiny seats.
    I'm not even going to be greedy, just a second half kicking towards the gasworks end, needing a winner.
    The unique unrehearsed atmosphere that seemed to pour out of that end, is something you will take to the grave with you.

• So many of the great moments have been unbearably tense until the final whistle, so for sheer entertainment value I'll go for the 5-3 win over Reading back in 99.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    The Beany game, for me (and the FA Cup semi if I could pick one to experience from 'before my time')

The Beany game was the ultimate limbs for me even after all these years. An absolutely ridiculous ending to a ridiculous last few minutes scored by the least likely (and extremely likeable) player in the least likely of ways.
    We have been blessed with these moments time and again

• Wimbledon away was certainly the most dramatic game I've been to - injuries, a red card, a saved penalty, the last minute equaliser, the shoot out swinging from one team to the other and back again etc etc. Only time I've ever hugged a random stranger at a match.

The Preston play off final is probably the other game I would consider for quality of play and goals and impact on us as a club (given that we had 10 straight years in the third tier as a consequence). Doing so by beating the 'original' champions felt like we'd really arrived as a league club.

In 'standard' league games I'd probably consider the 5-3 over Reading in 1999, the 1-0 at Bristol City the day after we signed Stuart Roberts and, by coincidence, the 5-0 at Northampton when Roberts scored his hat trick.

• @Platform_3 said:
    Wimbledon away was certainly the most dramatic game I've been to - injuries, a red card, a saved penalty, the last minute equaliser, the shoot out swinging from one team to the other and back again etc etc. Only time I've ever hugged a random stranger at a match.

Really? I do that most weeks