Skip to content

Holmer Green v Risborough Rangers tonight

After the 26,000 crowd at Portman Road last night there will be an equally enthusiastic, if slightly smaller, crowd at Watchet Lane (HP15 6UF) tonight for the Spartan League derby between Holmer Green & Risborough Rangers.

The match kicks off at 7.45pm & I’m sure Holmer Green would love to see lots of WW fans there helping support local grassroots football. Holmer Green FC has a nice clubhouse so on a very mild evening what better than a trip to see some local football for a few quid?

Comments

• About a mile from here. Very tempted, given the mild weather and (usually) ample parking.

• Match definitely ON!

• Result: Holmer Green 0 Risborough Rangers 6 (half-time: 0-4)

Risborough Rangers ended up winning comfortably 6-0 at Watchet Lane to increase their lead at the top of the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division. Watched by a crowd of 253 - five times the usual gate at Holmer Green.

Just before kick-off a weather front moved in with a strong wind & driving drizzle blowing down the pitch. Risborough took full advantage of the conditions but H.G. held out until the 23rd minute. The visitors then took control with a first-half hat-trick by Marcus Mealing to lead 4-0 at the break.

Holmer Green played with the wind & rain in the second-half which was much more even. However, 2 goals late on sealed a six-goal win for the visitors.

Although Holmer Green will be naturally disappointed with the scoreline, to see a crowd like this will be some compensation. Risborough march on in top spot.

• Seemed like half the crowd were groundhoppers?

• Who> @peterparrotface said:

Seemed like half the crowd were groundhoppers?

Who will be cleaning up the discarded uncrusted corned beef sandwiches ??

• @peterparrotface Probably true but it proves for the umpteenth time that if you play matches when the majority of your potential audience are free to go you will pull in a much bigger crowd than normal.

For example, on January 8th it’s 1st v 2nd in the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division as Risborough Rangers host Leighton Town @ 3pm. Unfortunately it’s the same day Wycombe play Sunderland at Adams Park (12.30). Had the Risborough game been played on the following day people would have come from far & wide to watch it. As it is, Risborough are hoping for 300+ but on the Sunday I could envisage that being 500+. That extra 200 means a lot in income to clubs at this level.

• @A_Worboys groundhoppers had travelled from Colchester, Portsmouth and Deptford stood around me. Great news for Holmer and their chatter gave a sort of Lords test atmosphere, lot of boasting around how many games they’d done this season. 225 was the winner I think.

I think there is always a balance between potentially annoying regular fans, volunteers and players by moving your biggest game of the season to a Sunday to accommodate casual attendees. Would be interesting to get their views on your idea but pros and cons definitely.

• "Annoying regular fans"

Not in the context you meant, but you couldn't have said 3 truer words there re Holmer Green