Skip to content

20th anniversary of "Prossergate"

Surely one of the most ridiculously wrong decisions given against WWFC since we've been in the Football League, possibly ever? The decision to give that diving [stream of unintelligible swearing] Gallen a penalty after a perfectly good tackle from Jason Cousins was bad enough, then the referee Phil Prosser wrote himself into useless ref folklore by then sending Jermaine McSporran off for not getting involved and looking vaguely like Danny Senda, and then Danny Senda for the heinous crime of defending himself after having been ganged up on by four QPR players.

Comments

• In a day of madness I was threatened with arrest for ‘going up the wrong isle to the toilet’. What happy times.

• That's a clip that never fails to make me feel the need for real physical violence towards that ref.

• I thought that was buried deep enough I'd never feel the need to decapitate that w#nker Prosser.... its back

• My dad was a very chilled out and relaxed man. Think Dad’s Army’s Sgt. Wilson.

To see him steaming down the aisle, swearing profusely and flinging his programme from the upper tier in the direction of the ref was quite something.

• I'd forgotten how little time there was between the reds, unless that clip was trimmed down.

Just makes it an even more baffling situation.
    Did he get duff info from the linesman? Telling him there were two "similar" looking lads to send off?

• @arnos_grove said:
    My dad was a very chilled out and relaxed man. Think Dad’s Army’s Sgt. Wilson.

To see him steaming down the aisle, swearing profusely and flinging his programme from the upper tier in the direction of the ref was quite something.

There was a gentleman at that game in front me about 4 rows from the front in the lower tier that I knew by sight following the Blues for a few years as a fairly placid chap who was so incensed by the shambolic refereeing he tried (unsuccessfully) to rip his seat out.
    Just watching those clips brought back how blood-boilingly infuriating and unfathomable the penalty and two red card decisions were (not mention QPR getting away with the fracas scot free).

• It was the sheer injustice of it all wasn't it! Gallen took a blatant dive and ended up with a penalty and 2 of our players sent off. I think it was 1-1 at the time and we were starting to get on top.

I remember waiting for the ref to take action against the QPR players who'd gone steaming in, but somehow they completely got away with it. It certainly did spark some rarely seen fury amongst the travelling support.

The officials gave us absolutely everything in the 2nd half including a laughable penalty, which pretty much showed that they'd made a complete mess of the whole Gallen incident and were desperately trying to make up for it.

• It'd make a decent side thread. Most shocking stuff you've seen at a game.

That season we almost went down to non league, losing to Rovers in game 45, I can still see a girl in the Frank Adams absolutely screaming the swears at Ainsworth and the team, sat next to her dad.
    The shock of what we'd seen on the pitch and the likely ramifications mixed with what looked like a 12 year old using that aggressive language still stays with me!

• I was sat up in amongst the QPR fans that day.... had to keep my mouth shut whilst listening to them hurl abuse at us.... tough, tough day

• Did anything happen to Prosser after that game does anyone recall?

• Great ref name for rhyming slang, that.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I was sat up in amongst the QPR fans that day.... had to keep my mouth shut whilst listening to them hurl abuse at us.... tough, tough day

I’ve very rarely done the “sitting with the opposition” thing, one time I did though was when we were away to AFC Wimbledon in 2015 and the game was a sell-out for us given our promotion prospects at the time. Hence me having to resort to going in the AFCW end.

Bayo was still with AFCW at the time, and the game (which was hideously dull and ended 0-0) was mainly notable for our players falling over like they’d been shot if Bayo went anywhere near them.

I’m surprised my true loyalties weren’t outed due to me being the only person in the stand that wasn’t absolutely raging up at everything a Wycombe player did that day.

I’m hoping I’ll never have cause to visit Kingsmeadow again (given AFCW’s recent move) as we’ve been shite on each of the three times I’ve been.

• I still feel apoplectic about the T****r Prosser for the way he handled that.
    If I met him tomorrow I'm quite likely to take a swing at him.

• @Malone said:
    Did anything happen to Prosser after that game does anyone recall?

He continued refereeing

• edited December 2021

@PBo said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    I was sat up in amongst the QPR fans that day.... had to keep my mouth shut whilst listening to them hurl abuse at us.... tough, tough day

I’ve very rarely done the “sitting with the opposition” thing, one time I did though was when we were away to AFC Wimbledon in 2015 and the game was a sell-out for us given our promotion prospects at the time. Hence me having to resort to going in the AFCW end.

Bayo was still with AFCW at the time, and the game (which was hideously dull and ended 0-0) was mainly notable for our players falling over like they’d been shot if Bayo went anywhere near them.

I’m surprised my true loyalties weren’t outed due to me being the only person in the stand that wasn’t absolutely raging up at everything a Wycombe player did that day.

I’m hoping I’ll never have cause to visit Kingsmeadow again (given AFCW’s recent move) as we’ve been shite on each of the three times I’ve been.

I've had to do it a few times now, due to not being able to get a ticket in 'our' end. That QPR fame was by far the worse experience though, were sat in amongst some of the quite hardcore and not sure we'd have seen the end of the game had they found out we were Wycombe fans