Skip to content

January transfer window

Just a few days away from the window. It’s a barometer of how we are all feeling about our squad that the board (unlike I’m sure most clubs) is not pinging with demands for a new star signing to come in or an under performer to be shipped out.
An injury free squad I can’t see too many weaknesses (yes you can always sign better, but realistically).
Maybe a full back to come in? Maybe a couple of loans out?

Comments

• Surprised we haven't yet had a demand from one poster for Rob to get his checkbook out to buy the 30 goal striker that will guarantee promotion!

• Bit harsh. There was never an indication where The Player would have played only that he would have secured promotion. ?

• Where's Dave Tarpey these days....?

• With so high a chance of postponements in the coming weeks, I would be waiting until the end of the window and then making a concerted effort grab a couple of three month loans to help with the fixture backlog whilst not implying a long term inflation of the squad size.

• edited December 2021

I reckon just another LWB option. Poss another robust midfielder, but we're fairly stacked there and have just been unlucky with injuries. I sense we've moved on from loans.

• A successful window for me would be no outgoings and a couple of development squad incomings.

• In particular we have indeed moved on from season long loans and rightly so in my opinion, but there are still circumstances where a shorter term loan for an established rather than a developing player can be a useful recourse. Those circumstances may be brewing at the moment, plan for it now and wait until late January to see how the situation unfolds before deciding whether to put those plans into practice.

• @Ed_ said:
    In particular we have indeed moved on from season long loans and rightly so in my opinion, but there are still circumstances where a shorter term loan for an established rather than a developing player can be a useful recourse. Those circumstances may be brewing at the moment, plan for it now and wait until late January to see how the situation unfolds before deciding whether to put those plans into practice.

Possibly, but you're looking at quite a limited pool of players as they wouldn't start week-in, week-out without injuries.

• I'd say the only weak spot in the side is RWB, and that's solved by dropping McCarthy for Grimmer - plus others could potentially play that role.

• CB and LWB loanees.

• Pretty much every position has a nailed on starter. So a pitch to any incoming will be as a second string. Unless we sign a player capable of dislodging our current first choice 11 (when all fit). Also bringing in new blood can push back some of the development players that look worth a go.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I'd say the only weak spot in the side is RWB, and that's solved by dropping McCarthy for Grimmer - plus others could potentially play that role.

Neither have played well at all tbh this season. I think we'd possibly be tempted if someone else is out there not playing. Another experienced CB / CM possibly would also help but bigger question might be wether anyone else wants any of our squad players in which case they might freshen it up a bit.

• Nah, Grimmer has been fine - people got on his back unfairly when he was effectively having to play RCB and RWB simultaneously.

• Having said that, I would still like to see Horgan there.

• I don't think that we are really lacking in any area, but it's only natural that if you can bring someone in to improve it further you should. If that means a favourite not being first choice anymore it's a shame but the team comes first and there will always be new favourites

• Yeah, you've always got to be looking to strengthen - but it's nice that we don't need to necessarily.

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    Where's Dave Tarpey these days....?

Playing for Bracknell.

• I think it says it all about Horgan being a bit underwhelming when we're talking about using hum, a proven international at right wing back!

• Him..not hum...obvs

• Why? It's a pretty glamorous position these days!

• You only have to look at the top three teams in the Premier League to see how wing backs have become a vital weapon and wing backs are now key players for those teams.

• You can largely lump full-backs and wing-backs together these days anyway. Not saying Horgan is going to become our TAA, but he could transition quite seamlessly as far as I can see.

• He has barely produced a decent cross in 18months why do we think he'll produce more in a new position?
    I could see him working hard there but not the flair side

• @Malone said:
    He has barely produced a decent cross in 18months

He's lacked consistency, but I think that's harsh - we've just had mannequins in the middle for much of that time.

• Considering how poor some people seem to think some of our players are...we're not doing too badly.

• Are there still people who think Sam Vokes is rubbish?

• edited December 2021

It frustrates me that people seem to have forgotten how good Horgan was at the start of the season, him and McCleary playing together was a joy to watch, he's now found himself out of the team because of international duty and Mehmeti glowing again and Hanlan coming in, I'd be more than happy with Daryl in the team most weeks

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Nah, Grimmer has been fine - people got on his back unfairly when he was effectively having to play RCB and RWB simultaneously.

I like him a lot, good player and seems to be a decent guy, but don't think he's done well when called on recently. I don't think the club will want to give up on him or McCarthy but one of them will have to improve.
    Horgan at RWB is wishful shoe horning at best. Not sure he has the pace or stamina for that but he has looked pretty good in his fairly limited recent run outs in midfield.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Are there still people who think Sam Vokes is rubbish?

Probably.

I really don’t see Horgan as a right wing back. Although he has played on the right for Ireland, he had more of a roving role on that/those occasion(s). I like to think that Nick Freeman will resume his excellent performances in that position within the next few weeks.

Of more pressing concern is the fitness of. messrs Gape and Scowen. Be great to hear at least some sort of hint about their state of health!

• Wishful thinking that Freeman might be back within a few weeks, is it not? Unless I've missed some news?