Skip to content

Coach travel

Anyone know the closest game Wycombe or the supporters club have run a coach to?

Comments

• Every draw I'd imagine

• In the last couple of decades, we must be talking Hayes in the FA cup?

• @Malone said:
    In the last couple of decades, we must be talking Hayes in the FA cup?

Strong start, 20 miles I'd say?

• edited December 2021

@peterparrotface said:

@Malone said:
    In the last couple of decades, we must be talking Hayes in the FA cup?

Strong start, 20 miles I'd say?

Yeah from the ground that's a good estimate.
    I7 or so from my bit of Wycombe.

• Madejski Stadium would push it close, if the coach took the shortest route.

• I’m pretty sure I went by coach (Jeffways?) to Chesham one year in the mid 70s

• Aylesbury in FA Cup in 87/88, and 88/89 in the league.

• Loakes Park to Wexham Park 13.8 miles.
    Certainly coaches went there.
    I'm wondering if there were any coaches that went to Marlow for the FA Cup tie in 1974.

• edited December 2021

Tough to beat that @bookertease, unless we took a coach to Flackwell Heath at some point.
    I see we played them in '92 in the Diadora League although I doubt we took a coach load of supporters! I suppose some fans may have taken the bus but I don't think that counts.

• Surely there would have been one to Slough late years in the Conference.
    Closer than the options above, and unless there's ever been one to Marlow, surely unbeatable?

• I saw Wycombe reserves play at Naphill in the B&B intermediate Cup in the early 80's.
    The great Terry Glynn played, as he was coming back from injury.
    Sadly no supporters coach, but one on of the nearest ever fixtures for a Wanderers side.

• Was that on the common? Bobbly pitch that

• Blimey, I used to play for Naphill and I can't even remember that !! What year was it ?

• I saw that game. The only player I can remember was called Paul but I’ve temporarily forgotten his surname!

• It was on the bobbly pitch opposite the Wheel, October 1982. Wanderers reserves won 6-1, Sir Terence of Glynn scored that day as he was returrning to fitness. Kevin Stone scored a hatrick. It was a strong Wanderers reserve side with a number of players who had a fair few 1st appearences under their belt includingAndy Harman,Paul West,Billy Hubbick,Richard Mikurenda and Steve Thorne and Joe Kotvics.
    My overiding memory was the Naphill sub, who had to run the line, he was constantly chuntering that some local glory hunters had been wheeled in, and he had lost his place in the team. He got angrier as the game went on, and Wycombe's 3rd or 4th goal looked way offside but the disgruntled lino kept his flag down, there was then an argument between the Naphill back four and the lino, where again he vented his fury about the 'glory ringers' that were brought in. If i remember correctly he threw the flag to the ground and stormed off, and someone elso took over the lino duties.

• @ChasHarps said:
    It was on the bobbly pitch opposite the Wheel, October 1982. Wanderers reserves won 6-1, Sir Terence of Glynn scored that day as he was returrning to fitness. Kevin Stone scored a hatrick. It was a strong Wanderers reserve side with a number of players who had a fair few 1st appearences under their belt includingAndy Harman,Paul West,Billy Hubbick,Richard Mikurenda and Steve Thorne and Joe Kotvics.
    My overiding memory was the Naphill sub, who had to run the line, he was constantly chuntering that some local glory hunters had been wheeled in, and he had lost his place in the team. He got angrier as the game went on, and Wycombe's 3rd or 4th goal looked way offside but the disgruntled lino kept his flag down, there was then an argument between the Naphill back four and the lino, where again he vented his fury about the 'glory ringers' that were brought in. If i remember correctly he threw the flag to the ground and stormed off, and someone elso took over the lino duties.

I appreciate that a lot of supporters have only ever known us as a professional football league club but it’s stories like that which make me feel privileged to have experienced both sides of it. It was a lot of fun in our more amateur days

• I have vague memories of Wycombe sending a 6 a side team to play at John Hampden in the mid 90s.
    Cousins was in goal as punishment for a recent red card!

• Ahh thanks for that @ChasHarps , I was trying to think when I started playing, reckon I just missed it then as I think it was probably 83/84, only played for the Saturday team for a couple of years as started going to Wycombe games obviously ! But carried on playing for the Sunday team for years. I always thought it was a good pitch up there ? I know other teams used to like coming to us on a Sunday, mind you the lure of the Wheel afterwards helped !

• I was on a OWWSA coach to Chesham for a B&B game. Hard to believe they’ve run one to a closer fixture than that.

• @floyd said:
    I was on a OWWSA coach to Chesham for a B&B game. Hard to believe they’ve run one to a closer fixture than that.

Must be over 10 miles I'd say but marginally closer than Wexham?

• @ChasHarps said:
    It was on the bobbly pitch opposite the Wheel, October 1982. Wanderers reserves won 6-1, Sir Terence of Glynn scored that day as he was returrning to fitness. Kevin Stone scored a hatrick. It was a strong Wanderers reserve side with a number of players who had a fair few 1st appearences under their belt includingAndy Harman,Paul West,Billy Hubbick,Richard Mikurenda and Steve Thorne and Joe Kotvics.

This is one of the best Wycombe anecdotes I have ever heard

• Does anyone ever recall a guy by the name of Andy Longstaff playing on the fringes of the first team, more likely reserves? In the 80’s I expect. Related to a mate of mine

• Did we run a coach to SYCOB in the B&b a few years ago when Gaz strapped his boots on? Probably not but a really good burger and very friendly in the bar as I seem to (hazily) remember.

• @username123 said:
    Does anyone ever recall a guy by the name of Andy Longstaff playing on the fringes of the first team, more likely reserves? In the 80’s I expect. Related to a mate of mine

Remember Andy Longstaff, made a few appearences in the early 80's mainly as sub. Always looked a tidy player, but never managed to bridge the gap between reserve and first team level. His brother was also a decent local player.

• Pretty sure I went by coach to Chalfont St Peter, b&b cup, mid to late seventies.
    I think it was the Saturday after we'd played at Cardiff in the FA Cup 2nd Round so quite a contrast!

• We played a B&B cup game against Slough (I think) at Marlow few years back, in the Waddock era. No idea if there was a coach for that though, I walked 5 mins from my house to that one.

• Oxford City at the old White House ground (guess that's reasonably close), way back in 1972. We won 8-0! Remember watching from the old bench seats in the narrow stand along one side.

• Looks Crystal Palace win this with their fans 6 mile journey to their FA Cup game tomorrow in a fleet of coaches.