Skip to content

Rob C on Price of Football pod

Comments

• Well now twice as many people will know about it!

• Bit of a revelation, the first club they considered buying!

• He does come across well again if you forgive a little exaggeration.

• edited December 2021

He got his facts wrong on the Derby match. He said the goal that was given offside meant we drew the game instead of winning it. We lost that game.

• (you also don't know how the rest of that game would have played out if that goal had been allowed to stand but that's a different point)

• Or the rest of the season.

• It took me a couple of times to realise that 'Millboro' meant Middlesbrough

• @Chris said:
    Or the rest of the season.

Very good point

• "The [quality of football] in the Championship, is comparable to, or better than, all but possibly three or four leagues"

Interested to know which leagues he thinks they are. It's top 10, but it's not quite that good.

• @eric_plant said:
    (you also don't know how the rest of that game would have played out if that goal had been allowed to stand but that's a different point)

Yes, but his point was that stuff like that can happen on the football side, whereas somebody deliberately cooking the books isn't something to accept

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    "The [quality of football] in the Championship, is comparable to, or better than, all but possibly three or four leagues"

Interested to know which leagues he thinks they are. It's top 10, but it's not quite that good.

Can't be far off, it's better than any leagues outside of Europe.

Within Europe there's obviously the prem above it, then you'd have the to leagues in Spain Italy Germany & France. That would be it for me when you consider the strength of the league as a whole not just the top sides with European cup money.

• @Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    "The [quality of football] in the Championship, is comparable to, or better than, all but possibly three or four leagues"

Within Europe there's obviously the prem above it, then you'd have the to leagues in Spain Italy Germany & France. That would be it for me when you consider the strength of the league as a whole not just the top sides with European cup money.

Portugal is probably just above it. But yeah, it's generally considered top 10 - and it'll probably get even stronger, if largely as a result of parachute payments.

• When you consider the wages and transfer fees paid in the championship it will soon be a top 5 league IMO, the premier league money is so obscene compared to every other league

• edited December 2021

I thought it was already widely regarded as the 6th best in the world after The Premier, and Spain, Italy, Germany and France top divisions

Also, I'm not so sure about France other than the top 4 or 5 teams

• It is touted as the fifth most warched league in the world... which fits with the world wide blah blah from Rob

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Portugal is probably just above it. But yeah, it's generally considered top 10 - and it'll probably get even stronger, if largely as a result of parachute payments.

Did I not hear in the past few weeks that the parachute payments may be stopping in the next year or two?

• It's very difficult to judge the strength of the Championship as against other league in Europe, but when you look at the 'next 5' strongest leagues after the 'big 5', namely Portugal, Netherlands, Russia, Austria and Scotland according to UEFA, I would say that other than a few very strong teams at the top of those leagues the average Championship team would be much stronger than the midtable equivalent.

I counted up representation at the Euros and there were more players who spent last season in the Championship than there were in Ligue 1. Only the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, the Bundesliga and the Russian Premier League had more players there.

• edited December 2021

Club Elo Ratings currently have it ninth in Europe (ahead of Austrian Bundesliga, narrowly behind Spanish second tier), but there are so many different ways you can gauge it. I'd have it higher than that.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

I watched 45 mins of Serie A yesterday. Couldn’t believe how bad it was. Shockingly poor compared to the Premier League.

• @Glenactico said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I watched 45 mins of Serie A yesterday. Couldn’t believe how bad it was. Shockingly poor compared to the Premier League.

Which game? I watch quite a lot of Serie A and it's on a par with Bundesliga imo but still some way behind PL. PL is just so strong these days.

• I saw some guys at a game wearing a Wycombe shirt I’d never seen before and was informed that they were overseas supporters wearing a shirt exclusive to them. I think Rob really is on to something we’ve always had a ceiling to the number of fans we can attract to the stadium locally but creating an international fanbase circumvents that barrier.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I saw some guys at a game wearing a Wycombe shirt I’d never seen before and was informed that they were overseas supporters wearing a shirt exclusive to them. I think Rob really is on to something we’ve always had a ceiling to the number of fans we can attract to the stadium locally but creating an international fanbase circumvents that barrier.

I had a similar experience in Gibraltar when I went to watch a World Cup qualifier against Turkey in September. A guy sat close to me had a Wycombe shirt on and had also come to watch TJ play.
    I went over for a chat and they had travelled around 2 hours from Spain to watch the game.

• I see that one of the front runners for buying DCFC has announced that they are dropping out of the "race". Apparently the administrators wanted more money.I wonder if Mr Couhig was one of the spanners in the works? Not a great Christmas for DCFC fans.

• Kirchner had been swanning about like he owned them already, with many of their fans salivating at the talk of his billions.

I work with a number of DCFC fans and they are beyond the usual delusions that all supporters have about their club. Last week, a group of them were banging on about how Kirchner was getting Dele Alli in on loan in January!

It’s breathtaking how they accuse Rob Couhig and Steve Gibson of cynicism after how they’ve behaved in recent years. All fully paid up members of the Mel ‘one of our own’ Morris cult, who now take the position that they were wide-eyed innocents who had absolutely no idea what was happening.

Rob is right in that interview - they’re all complicit one way or another.

• What about the Derby fans who realised what was going on, didn't like it but we're powerless to stop it?

Are they complicit too?

• I didn't interpret what Rob said as meaning their fans were complicit, but I agree they must have known.

• Kirchner has walked away slamming the administrators for dithering on his bid and describing Mel Morris as a "proper f*** job"

Sadly it seems DCFC cannot get out from under the hand and influence of Morris even though he doesnt own them anymore

• @eric_plant said:
    What about the Derby fans who realised what was going on, didn't like it but we're powerless to stop it?

Are they complicit too?

I’ve never come across any of them Eric. Even the ones I like are extraordinarily arrogant when it comes to their club.

• Whilst I love the innovation of the world wide Wycombe concept and applaud the success that has already been made of it, I’m not a fan of advertising that we are having a big win in an underexplored market. Rob seems very happy that Premier League and Championship clubs are visiting us to see how we are doing it, I just wish the cat had stayed in the bag for a lot longer on that one.