Skip to content

Gary Lester RIP

More sad news as its announced Gary Lester has passed away. Played in the first Wycombe game I ever went to. https://mobile.twitter.com/wwfcofficial/status/1473650378117947394

Comments

• Same here. Sat on that blue wall behind his goal as a 15 year old lad at the Gasworks end.

• His testimonial v Spurs was one of my first ever games.

What a sad couple of days for the football club. RIP Gary

• Gary was a tremendous keeper for us, and far superior to a few that have played in the football league for us.
    Really sad news, as was one of my first Wanderers heroes.
    His performance at Witney in the FA Cup in 80 or 81, was the finest goalkeeping performance I've ever seen, live or on the telly.
    RIP Gary a True Wanderers Hero.

• Yet more sad news. Before my time, but his name is always there when talking about our best keepers. His appearance record puts him in very esteemed company in the history of our club.

• Sad news about Gary Lester. Played mostly in the decade I didn't get to see so much WWFC football.

Between Gary and John Maskell we pretty much only had 2 goalkeepers in nearly twenty-five years.

RIP Gary

• Goalkeeper for my first Wycombe game I saw, versus Bogner Regis.

• Very sad news. Was the Wycombe keeper when I first started watching in the 80's. He was localish as well wasn't he, as many players were in those days? I believe he played in the local village cricket leagues for a few years.

• @ChasHarps Was only thinking about that Witney game a few days ago as I was up near Witney. The old ground is now a shopping centre.
    Another one of Gary's great games was the home win (1-0 I think) against Enfield in the Gola League.
    Almost an ever-present in his 10 years at Loakes Park. RIP Gary.

• Wow that is terrible. An absolute rock for us for so many years and a great guy too. It's been a tough couple of days for the club with iconic figures on and off the field passing away.

• One of my first Wanderers heroes. "One Gary Lester..." we sang and he'd wave, even in the middle of the game. Sad news.

• Very sad news. Here's footage from his testimonial game including an interview at the end: https://youtu.be/d5z6h7KAGlE?t=1213

• Wow sad news... played cricket with Gary once as well, also a very talented cricketer. RIP

• Well that is exceptionally tragic as in modern terms he was still young. I played against Gary a few times. I may as well have been shooting a ball at a wall! Another nice guy taken far too young, RIP Gary.

• Didn't he return to play against us with Chalfont St Giles? I seem to remember him getting a tremendous ovation and every save was cheered.

• Such sad news RIP Gary Lester

• @HorspathBlue said:
    Didn't he return to play against us with Chalfont St Giles? I seem to remember him getting a tremendous ovation and every save was cheered.

Chalfont United I think as that is who he played for when I played for Chalfont St Giles.

• Gary signed from us from Chalfont St Peter, I think he saw out his final playing days back at the playing fields.
    I hope the club do a minutes silence/applause for a great servant to the club.