Skip to content

Christmas derbies galore

With Wycombe, the EFL & National League playing matches on Boxing Day, Non-League steps 3 & below should attract some big crowds as they play on December 27th. There are some great local derbies within striking distance of the Chair Metropolis but do check the games are on before you set off:

DECEMBER 27TH (k.o. 3pm):

SOUTHERN LGE PREM DIV SOUTH:

Hayes & Yeading Utd v Beaconsfield T
Kings Langley v Chesham United

SOUTHERN LGE DIV 1 CENTRAL:

Aylesbury United v Thame United
(at Chesham United FC)

ISTHMIAN LGE DIV SOUTH CENTRAL

Marlow v Chalfont St Peter

SPARTAN SOUTH MIDLANDS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE:

Penn & Tylers Green v Thame Utd Res

TUESDAY 28TH DEC (k.o. 3pm):

NATIONAL LEAGUE:

Boreham Wood v Wealdstone
Maidenhead United v Bromley

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH:

Slough Town v Hampton & Richmond

SPARTAN SOUTH MIDLANDS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION:

Aylesbury Vale Dynamos v Ardley Utd
Flackwell Heath v Broadfields United
Tring Athletic v Leverstock Green

SPARTAN SOUTH MIDLANDS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE:

Amersham Town v London Tigers
Long Crendon v Kidlington Reserves
Winslow United v Buckingham Athletic

Please support local football if you can over Christmas. Please post any interesting match reports as they seem to be enjoyed on here.

Comments

• PLEASE NOTE:

The Aylesbury United v Thame United match on the 27th is a 1pm kick-off at the Meadow, Chesham.

And another one especially for @AlanCecil on the 27th:

SOUTHERN LGE PREM DIV CENTRAL:

Royston Town v Hitchin Town (3pm)

• @A_Worboys said:
    PLEASE NOTE:

The Aylesbury United v Thame United match on the 27th is a 1pm kick-off at the Meadow, Chesham.

And another one especially for @AlanCecil on the 27th:

SOUTHERN LGE PREM DIV CENTRAL:

Royston Town v Hitchin Town (3pm)

Thanks for the heads up but we are at the Wycombe Swan pantomime that afternoon.

• Anyone finding themselves with family in Devon on Boxing Day, may I recommend what will be a feisty clash between Tavistock and Buckland on Boxing Day.

Anyone in West Cornwall shouldn’t miss the derby between Helston v Mousehole - currently the top two Cornish based sides. Almost no chance of 22 players being on pitch by end of game.

• @DevC said:
    Anyone finding themselves with family in Devon on Boxing Day, may I recommend what will be a feisty clash between Tavistock and Buckland on Boxing Day.

Anyone in West Cornwall shouldn’t miss the derby between Helston v Mousehole - currently the top two Cornish based sides. Almost no chance of 22 players being on pitch by end of game.

The only thing I can recommend from my recent trip down that way is the refunds section of the GWR website.

• You missed off Holmer Green vs Risborough Rangers in the Spartan South Midlands Prem Division

• Thats on the 30th Dec

• Thanks @Otter87 - that’s brilliant. Wouldn’t it be great to see a really good crowd there for that one. Years ago these fixtures were great because you’d always bump into fellow Blues fans & could have a good chin-wag about players & the club in general.
    So it’s all roads lead to Holmer Green on December 30th then!!!!

• Risborough possibly having their best ever season as well?

• They were on the BBC Sport website for passing the Arsenal unbeaten record. I believe they have gone 50 league matches unbeaten and still going. It'll be a great game if Holmer Green could cause an upset!

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59721490

This is the story, I stand corrected, its 49 games unbeaten in the league

• edited December 2021

That article misses out one key detail: they're loaded for that level.

• Tuesday matches postponed:
    Boreham Wood, Aylesbury Vale Dynamoes, Flackwell Heath and Winslow Utd.

• edited December 2021

• Quick match report as requested by mr W

Table topping Tavistock moved 13 points clear in the Western League with a routine 3-0 win over Buckland. With main forward out injured, a young lad got his chance in his favoured position and promptly finished two through balls in the first 20 mins. An own goal two minutes later effectively ended the game. Bumper crowd of 330 odd saw the Lambs move closer to their dream of Southern League football. Mousehole -14 points behind but with five games in hand look main dangers. They though have Covid problems.

• Penn & Tylers Green 3 Thame Utd Res 2

In all the years I’ve lived around here I’d never seen a match at P & TG until postponements created the opportunity this afternoon. For a Spartan League game it was very good, played on a very wet but level pitch with spectacular views of the Chiltern countryside just beyond the ground.

P & TG raced into an early 3-0 lead & looked to be heading for a big score against a youthful Thame reserves. However, the visitors pulled one back with a clever lob over the keeper to leave the score 3-1 at half-time. In the second-half Thame pressed more and pulled another goal back in injury time with yet another lob over the keeper. A frantic 3 minutes followed but P & TG held out for a deserved win.

The set-up is quite good with a nice clubhouse and a tiny seated stand (which people insist of standing in front of). A crowd of around 100 watched the game, swelled by some players & supporters who’d travelled from their 1st team’s postponed match at Chesham.

Meanwhile, Chesham and Kings Langley fought out a 2-2 draw in the Southern League local derby. A very good crowd of 603 saw the game, especially considering the awful weather in the morning.