Skip to content

RIP David Roberton

Very sad news from the club Twitter feed this afternoon

I'm sure everyone who had the pleasure of his company will agree he was one of life's good people, he'll be sadly missed at Wycombe games home and away.

Comments

• I'm terribly sad to see that. He was a lovely guy, who I always looked forward to bumping into on the terrace and whose views on the club and team I always had a lot of time for. He did a lot of good things for the Trust and the club and will be very much missed.

• Such sad news. A really lovely bloke.

• A nicer bloke you couldn’t wish to meet. David did such a lot of WW & the Trust & followed the team home and away from his home in North Herts. Whenever you bumped into him he always had a smile on his face and a cheery conversation would always follow. We’ll all miss him very much.

• Very sad, a really nice chap. David gave a lot of time and support to the Women’s teams as well.

• This has really upset me. Dave was a really nice guy and a complete gentleman. Always good for a laugh before the game. I liked him immensely.

• Very sad news indeed. I'll miss seeing him in the Caledonian. R.I.P. David.

• David was an absolute gent who always put the interests of the Trust members first.

Dreadful news, a truly wonderful man.

• Condolences to his family and friends. A real loss to the club.

• Ah man, he was such a nice man.

Really sad news, my thoughts and condolences are with all his friends and family

• Many happy days spent up north playing golf and following Wycombe with Dave.
    Condolences to his family and friends.
    RIP.

• A truly sad day for Wycombe fans, condolences to his friends & family.

RIP David

• I endorse everything that has been said, we’ve lost a true gentleman and a great supporter of our club. Spent many hours in his company and even in his final days he remained so positive and upbeat.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Very sad news indeed. I'll miss seeing him in the Caledonian. R.I.P. David.

With his journey of at least an hour each way, David could never be a match day drinker but he was the first to volunteer to help man the real ale bar to keep the sales going and the queue short.

He was never afraid to speak up for what he believed even when he was in the minority. That is to his eternal credit.

Even in his last days he was more concerned about others than his own condition.

I will miss David and his great contribution to everything he was involved in at WW.

• I did not know David, but he sounds like a great guy and anyone who has had anything to do with the Trust over the past few years has my undying appreciation.

• David was a top Chairboy, in recent years my main contact was giving him money for beer and a quick chat. As posted by so many, a lovely guy, going to be sorely missed.

• Though I did not know David personally, you knew he was a Trust and Wycombe stalwart. Regularly saw him with his Trust or barman hat on.

A great loss to the club.

My condolences to his family and friends.

• I never met Mr Roberton, but the warmth of the tributes here and elsewhere speaks volumes. RIP sir.

• This is very sad. David was always so full of life, energy and positivity. I’ll miss his warm and enthusiastic handshakes in the car park - “whose on the commentary with you today Phil?” a question which was usually followed by a considered view on the upcoming game and the current form of our beloved Chairboys.

A selfless and principled man who’ll be greatly missed by many.

• I knew the name but didn’t know the man until I saw his picture. Then realised he probably served me more pints than any other person - an almost ever present figure behind the ale bar in the Vere.

RIP.

• Words are not enough to describe his contribution through the Trust years, always putting the club and others first. Very sad news.
    I'll really miss chatting with him on the occasional match day in the Vere.
    RIP David, my condolences to family and friends.

• I didn't know him beyond him cheerily serving beer in the Vere or being involved with the trust, lovely set of tributes here and on the website/twitter, clearly a nice guy and very committed to the club. RIP.

• Some touching tributes to an evidently wonderful man. RIP David.

• Such sad news. Thanks for all the ale, RIP David.

• A lovely tribute from Gareth in this interview with Matt Cecil.

Such sad news. RIP David.