Skip to content

Bolton game off

Email from the club:

We write to you with regards to the ticket(s) you purchased for Saturday's game at Bolton Wanderers.

Bolton Wanderers’ Sky Bet League One fixture versus Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday 18th December has been postponed.

Bolton Wanderers informed the EFL that it would be unable to fulfil the fixture at the University of Bolton Stadium due to a number of positive COVID-19 cases in their squad.

In light of the increased transmission rate of the Omicron variant, the EFL will now review the circumstances surrounding the postponement.

In addition it will assist affected Clubs throughout this challenging period to help them mitigate against the risk of infection amongst players and staff, while ensuring their obligations to the EFL regulations are maintained.

A rearranged date for the fixture will be confirmed in due course, including information about the refund process if you are unable to attend the new date.

Comments

• At least it will give more time for our injured players to recover.

• Will we avoid the traditional festive slump or will it just carry over?

• Here it comes...

PPG gives us an away first leg against Oxford 'as it stands'

• Blimey imagine..

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Here it comes...

PPG gives us an away first leg against Oxford 'as it stands'

Normally, yes - but Sunderland will refuse to take part in a sham of PPG playoffs, as it is against their Corinthian spirit.

• Imagine if Peterborough got relegated on PPG.

• @drcongo If I could thumbs up that post 1000 times it still wouldn't be enough.

• @drcongo said:
    Imagine if Peterborough got relegated on PPG.

I can't get Kevin Keegan's "I will love it" out of my head now!

• @drcongo said:
    Imagine if Peterborough got relegated on PPG.

Fortunately for their tender conscience, they are going to make sure they get relegated with or without PPG. They don't do things by half, you know!

• My weekend in the Costa del Bolton has just gone for a burton so here’s what other attractions are on within striking distance of the Chair Metropolis:

FA Trophy 3rd Round (no replays):

Barnet v Boreham Wood
    Maidenhead United v Maidstone United
    Slough Town v Eastbourne Borough

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH:

Hemel Hempstead T v Chippenham T

SOUTHERN LGE PREM DIV SOUTH:

Beaconsfield Town v Hartley Wintney
    Chesham United v Taunton Town
    Hayes & Yeading Utd v Harrow Borough

SOUTHERN LGE DIV 1 CENTRAL:

Berkhamsted v Waltham Abbey
    Thame United v Colney Heath

SPARTAN STH MIDS LGE PREM DIV:

Risborough Rangers v Oxhey Jets

As ever, if you get to a game & fancy posting a match report I’m sure people would love to read it.

** Bizarre clash of the day:

Plymouth Argyle host Charlton Athletic in League 1 on Saturday. Plymouth Parkway host Dulwich Hamlet in the FA Trophy 3rd Round (one of the biggest games in their history). Why don’t they play it on Sunday to avoid the fixture clash?

• I was really looking forward to this game. Deferred gratification I guess. Save it for the spring as we romp the League.

• In one of today’s local games I witnessed a mid-table game between Hemel Hempstead Town & Chippenham Town. On a raw afternoon the visitors deservedly won 2-0 with a counter-attacking goal in each half. Both sides had a man sent off in what was never a dirty game on Hemel’s new plastic pitch. Considering the Premier League & EFL games off there was a disappointing crowd of maybe 350 in attendance.

Elsewhere, matches at Maidenhead & Hayes & Yeading were called off. In the Trophy wins for Slough and also Boreham Wood. Beaconsfield recorded a narrow 1-0 win over Hartley Wintney with a goal from Toby Little. Chesham United & Taunton Town drew 1-1 in front of over 500 at the Meadow. Finally, Berkhamsted edged past Waltham Abbey 1-0 while Thame beat Colney Heath 5-2 and Risborough Rangers comfortably overcame Oxhey Jets 4-1.

• Good report. I guess it's the week before Xmas and many worried about mixing. Football Clubs need supporters more than ever

• edited December 2021

Alec Stewart spotted watching Corinthian Casuals. No longer at the Oval.

• For Alex read Alec - these Old Tiffinians confuse me. Anybody had breakfast with Alec or his dad?

• edited December 2021

Parp!

Imagine conversing about the calming of Curtly and Courtney over a coffee and croissant. Bucket list territory.

• Corinthian Casuals now play at their own ground at St George’s Field in Tolworth, Surrey. They groundshare with Kingstonian, who sadly lost their previous ground at Kingsmeadow - now Chelsea’s academy ground.

Since gaining permanent roots Casuals have been gradually improving as a club & are now solidly placed in the Isthmian League Premier Division. They still play in their wonderful old chocolate & pink colours!

• And now probably have matching socks!

• Congratulations to Risborough Rangers on going 50 league games unbeaten on Saturday.

Well done to the Wanderers fans who went and were mentioned in the report.

Risborough Rangers: South Midlands League club beat 49-game unbeaten run of Arsenal 'Invincibles' - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59721490

• Remarkable what can be achieved when you chuck a load of money at it at amateur level

• @ReturnToSenda, not sure if you are referring to semi-pro Risborough, but do you have some inside knowledge on their finances?

• edited December 2021

@Steve_Peart said:
    @ReturnToSenda, not sure if you are referring to semi-pro Risborough, but do you have some inside knowledge on their finances?

I have it on very good authority that they have substantially more money than anyone else - certainly in the league they were in last season, which is where the unbeaten run started.

• Good for them, sounds like they need to move up a level or two.

• To be fair, I think it's fairly common knowledge - at least to the extent that the report could have included it. It's a great achievement, but context is key and all that!

• I suspect that Leighton Town, second in the table to Risborough, are also well funded. They get bigger gates and recently managed to acquire Rangers' manager Paul Bonham. Prising away a very successful manager takes some doing.

Meanwhile, one level below, the new owner of Bedford FC is aiming for nine promotions.

Bedford FC: Bitcoin podcaster Peter McCormack has Premier League dream for 10th-tier side - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59701285

• Bedford's story will end in tears.

• I think crypto is going to be a bigger scourge on football than gambling is

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I think crypto is going to be a bigger scourge on football than gambling is

Crypto is gambling, just with even less regulation, less understanding of the bets and even merkier backgrounds. Who knew that was even possible.

Various other red flags in these last couple of examples too, the inability to see the difference between a big industrys total wealth and how much money you can realistically take off its fan boys on an ongoing basis, lack of football business knowledge and experience, lack of business plan and the usual idea that just chucking money at it conquers all coupled with the owners not really talking about using there own money anyway.