Skip to content

Anis signs new contract

1235»

Comments

• @micra said:
    Whether I’m happy or not might not be a major influence on future contract discussions !!

"It was a difficult decision to leave the club, but @micra from the Gasroom convinced me in the end."

• edited December 2021

When @ReturnToSenda describes a player as "made of poppadom" for the first time, this should be taken as the official date they become considered to be injury prone.

On the point of Stocko's age, Shilton was 40 when he played in the WC semi final in 1990. However, he wasn't remotely agile enough to get to any of the German penalties despite guessing the right way each time.

• @LeedsBlue Trying to think who I described as that? Definitely Bailey Peacock-Farrell, but that was in reference to his poppadom wrists!

• And Shilton wasn't even agile enough four years earlier than that...

• Oh, there was another one before the Wednesday keeper - earlier this season (can't remember who...) 2 strikes and you're called out. Tough rules! :smiley:

• Wasn't Tafazolli, was it? Start of the season...

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Wasn't Tafazolli, was it? Start of the season...

Ah, yes, that sounds right! More of a naan now.

• @micra said:
    Whether I’m happy or not might not be a major influence on future contract discussions !!

Hopefully not, or Stockdale will be knocking on your door asking why you cost him a new contract!

• Talking of goalkeepers, I have followed Aaron Ramsdale’s career since he was about 18. A good friend who has been a Bournemouth supporter for decades (I’ve never asked him when he started but he is a fellow octogenarian) told me about this highly rated ‘kid’ several times and I couldn’t believe how brilliant he was when he played against us for Wimbledon a couple of years ago. When Arsenal signed him (for £30m I think) earlier this season I rang my son-in-law (a Gooner) to say they’d got a real good’n. Needless to say, he’s been tremendously impressed.

Last weekend I watched Brentford v Everton. Their regular goalkeeper (whose name escapes me) is out for several months with a serious knee injury and Alvaro Fernández (aged 23, like Ramsdale) has taken over. His distribution was a bit wayward at times but he kept a clean sheet and, overall, was very impressive.

There must be large numbers of talented young ‘keepers out there and, for all I know (I’ve not seen him play), Adam Przybek may be one of them. He has played a handful of games at a decent level but information about him is a bit scanty. Likewise the other ‘keepers on our books but currently out on loan.

• All of our players are injury prone...I don't think a game goes by (especially around the 70 minute mark) when one or two of them haven't spent a significant amount of time on the floor.

• edited December 2021

@YorkExile said:
    Indeed, I'm not sure it's a particularly helpful term. I seem to recall Anthony Stewart being labelled injury prone and he has gone on to start (and finish) the vast majority of games since the beginning of the 2019/2020 season.

He indeed had years where he'd miss significant chunks of the season.
    The management team even started resting him from midweek games at one stage to ease the load.
    However, they and Anthony himself have done marvellously to (touch wood!) largely put that behind him now.

• If the club thought stocko was only good for 1 season, then I think we would have kept rocky. Stocko Is pure class and will be valuable in any division we are in for the next few years

• @Steve_Peart said:
    I don't know the ins and outs of the MON/Westy relationship when we went into the Football League, but, at the dinner for the Tenth Anniversary of promotion to the FL, MON apologised publicly to Mark for the way he treated him. I wish I could remember the exact words but Westy looked somewhat surprised.

Seem to remember Westy was a bit upset when MON selected Cooper and Hayrettin (both loanees) for the Trophy final squad against Runcorn, but didn't find a place for him.