Skip to content

Is McCleary back in training?

2»

Comments

• @drcongo said:
    They also, quite often, pick a team based on who they think the opposition will play - ie: McCleary is likely to be playing, we might need to double up on him, let's play X and Y. I had no idea this was some kind of football secret and that so many people are entirely unaware that it happens, though the Gasroom has taught me in the last few days that an awful lot of fans think the starting 11 should just be the same as last week every match, regardless of who the opposition is.

I’m pretty I have now read this entire thread and I haven’t thought once that ‘an awful lot of fans think the starting 11 should just be the same…’ In fact the number of different views on squad rotation has been enlightening and thought provoking to me.

• Glad to hear you're pretty.

• Rather egoistic to claim your pretty Mr Righty!!!

• @mooneyman said:
    Rather egoistic to claim your pretty Mr Righty!!!

One missing word eh. Nothing wrong with being pretty and having an opinion though.

• I can understand the secrecy when we had a very small squad and giving injury news freely out would give the opposition a helping hand but surely most clubs these days will say we have lost a certain player for a number of weeks..no need to fob the fans off.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Club did say he had a fitness test before Fleetwood, but that felt unlikely considering it looked like a dislocated shoulder.

Interested in where the club said this. Can't find it anywhere?

I'm not fussed on keeping players injury status secret but I do find it annoying if the club actually put out a player is having a fitness test when he isn't close to being fit.

Agree..right old garbage to say he was having a fitness test.

• Genuine question: can someone please explain what difference it would make to the average fan to know that a player is out for a certain number of days or weeks?

• Don't let it bother you Alan, the club aren't going to change the way they're doing things, which I'd imagine you're quite pleased about

• The UK football scene is a relatively small one. I doubt it would be too difficult to find out the injury status of many players at any given time. Players do talk to each other, especially if they are/were former club mates?

• @glasshalffull said:
    Genuine question: can someone please explain what difference it would make to the average fan to know that a player is out for a certain number of days or weeks?

Because just like commentators, pundits and journalists, some of us like to spend some of our spare time giving the upcoming games some thought, predicting line ups and predicting our upcoming set of fixtures because we love our club and are emotionally invested in it. Maybe even making a bet if that what floats our boat.

Also, in the case of McCleary and a potentially nasty shoulder injury, some of us may even be concerned for him as a player and for our teams chances.

I thought Kim Casey was never the same again after he did his shoulder and the team looked weaker at the time. I think we are weaker without McCleary and I hope he does recover to be the same again.

• To be honest I can see the benefit in not giving information out about injuries. On the other hand in the case of long term injuries such as Nick Freeman, people want to know if he is OK and having updates of his progress wouldn’t really be giving away too many secrets.
    Also, Premier League managers have their pre-match press conferences where they do provide an albeit brief update on injuries.
    Whatever we think, this is the way our management want it and thus it will not change.

• Where's Wally ?
    I mean where's Wakely ?
    I have not heard anything about him in months !!

• @ChasHarps said:
    Where's Wally ?
    I mean where's Wakely ?
    I have not heard anything about him in months !!

Looked a good player v Leicester..not seen him since I believe.

• I believe he's injured.

• He's on the bench tonight

• Is there anyone out there who is not injured, suffering a knock, unwell, helping with nappy changing, away on international duty or too old to play twice a week? At least we’ve no-one suspended at present.

• @micra said:
    Is there anyone out there who is not injured, suffering a knock, unwell, helping with nappy changing, away on international duty or too old to play twice a week? At least we’ve no-one suspended at present.

Think I can tick three of those boxes. Won’t be bringing my boots on Saturday

• I think most of the Gasroom could tick 2 of those boxes. Great post @micra.
    Maybe the too old for playing twice a week is a stretch too far mind you. Playing 5 mins a week would be a big challenge for me.

• I've got a recurring hip injury, so I'm out.

• I just had my Booster as it's Pfizer I'm advised not even to try and make the bench for Pompey.

• I am not going to disclose my status, but I am going to put forward the strongest possible version of myself this weekend.

• @Shev said:
    I am not going to disclose my status, but I am going to put forward the strongest possible version of myself this weekend.

Liar

• @glasshalffull said:
    Genuine question: can someone please explain what difference it would make to the average fan to know that a player is out for a certain number of days or weeks?

Erm, isn't asking these sort of questions a decent chunk of your profession? While it isn't vital to anyone there's obviously some interest

• Went onto the Portsmouth website to check out any news prior to Saturday and saw that they had an injuries update report. Surely that’s giving too much information away ?

• Apparently Crowley is saying they only have 14 senior professionals available for the trip to Wycombe.

• Reverse psychology?

• They're missing their best two players through international call-ups as well - Gavin Bazunu (GK) and Joe Morrell. Here's hoping we can take advantage ?