Skip to content

Gaz teaches a Champions League winner a thing or two?

Comments

• Hopefully doesn't listen to his "fachts"

• edited October 2021

What a great caption competition! My entry:

"So they will say they would not want to watch us every week, or every home game?"

• You can't teach an old dog new tricks, so I can't see Rafa successfully introducing shithousery tactics at Goodison Park!

• "And they just pretend to tie up their laces?"

• I think we already have a winner

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59037905

Article on Graham Potters rise as a manger.

More than a couple of similarities between Him and Gaz regarding the type of players they look for, mental health approach and rise through the leagues.

Being a fly on the wall on a conversation between those two complaining notes would be very interesting.

• I like to think Derek Adams' programme column is called Complaining Notes.

• Rafa is a great manager.

• Great article @TheDancingYak It will be an incredible achievement if Potter keeps Brighton in the top ten...but I hope he does. Also that Leicester get in amongst. It is quite enjoyable to watch teams like Man U, Arsenal and Spurs struggle.

• West Ham are also giving it a real go this season.

• yup I also have a soft spot for the 'Ammers. In fact, if they finish above Man U with Moyes in charge that would be even more hilarious. (Is Kevin Nolan still Kevin Nolaning for them?)

• Wiki says Graham Potter played a few games for Wycombe (on loan) in the early 1990s. Any of the old timers remember that?

• I’ve got vague recollections of a player called Graham Potter being on loan (left back?) but had never drawn the obvious link.

But as for any memories of games he played in, nope.

• @Shev said:
    Wiki says Graham Potter played a few games for Wycombe (on loan) in the early 1990s. Any of the old timers remember that?

Only played 3 or 4 games on loan (from Stoke I think) I vaguely remember him having blonde curtains.
    He was one of numerous players St Martin tried at Left Back.

• @mooneyman said:
    You can't teach an old dog new tricks, so I can't see Rafa successfully introducing shithousery tactics at Goodison Park!

Might need to introduce something soon if the last 2 home games are anything to go by.

• I had it in my head he was on loan from Birmingham. He was alright I think

As Chas says, we had loads of on loan left backs around that time. Les Thomson from Burnley was my favourite

• Might have been Thompson

• edited October 2021

I know Sol is the bloke on the left (cut out of the managerial picture again?) but is that Robbie Fowler next to Gaz?

• @eric_plant said:
    I had it in my head he was on loan from Birmingham. He was alright I think

As Chas says, we had loads of on loan left backs around that time. Les Thomson from Burnley was my favourite

Left backs under Saint Martin
    Steve Walford
    Stuart Cash
    Gavin Covington
    Les Thompson
    Geoff Cooper
    Peter Johnson
    Duncan Horton
    David Titterton
    Graham Potter
    Justin Skinner
    Along with Sir Matt Crossley playing a huge number of games on the left.
    Simon Stapleton played a fair few, also Steve Browne and Terry Howard.

Where as right back under Martin, After Steve Abbley was Hoofed out,
    Was
    Ricky Pearson
    Steve Whitby
    Jason Cousins
    Terry Skiverton
    With Sir Matt and Stapes occasionally deputising.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I know Sol is the bloke on the left (cut out of the managerial picture again?) but is that Robbie Fowler next to Gaz?

Think so

• To be fair, I’d take your word for it above all other gasroomers... ?

• I’ve a vague memory of an on loan left back playing for us in an evening Cup game at Craven Cottage. If it was Graham Potter, I was impressed with him and the whole team as I think we drew or maybe even won. Another memory of that evening was seeing Steve Brown (as it turned out) chatting to a Wycombe fan or official, having signed (?from Northampton) too late to play that evening.
    Ooh Terry Evans played but I can’t remember who else.

• Micky Bell (Boo)

• @micra said:
    I’ve a vague memory of an on loan left back playing for us in an evening Cup game at Craven Cottage. If it was Graham Potter, I was impressed with him and the whole team as I think we drew or maybe even won. Another memory of that evening was seeing Steve Brown (as it turned out) chatting to a Wycombe fan or official, having signed (?from Northampton) too late to play that evening.
    Ooh Terry Evans played but I can’t remember who else.

Potter didn't play that day, his two cup appearences were at Highfield Rd, when we got beat 3 nil in the league Cup 1st rnd, and home to Barnet in the Autoglass.
    Two full backs that played at Craven Cottage in 93/94 were Jason Cousins and Duncan Horton.