Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• The energy and intensity levels in Liverpool - City: unreal.

• I have to say, if more premiership games were like this I'd watch it more often, great game for a neutral, and I love that the ref is trying to let it flow more and not giving a foul for every little touch

• You must have clocked him being suspended. That happened instantly.

The surprise is how this can take about 9 months to even get to a trial.

• Have you seen the state of the court system? I'm surprised it's got to trial so quickly.

• Everyone slags Ainsworth off for not making subs early, but tactical mastermind Pep waited until the 89th minute until making his one and only sub whilst 1-0 down, with quality of the likes of Mahrez and Grealish unused on the bench. Ainsworth would be getting pelters for that.

It's not as simple as just making a sub to instantly change the game, if you the think players on the pitch have a better chance of grabbing a goal than any replacements then no need to make a change, even if behind on the scoreline.

• In the Bundesliga, Union Berlin continue to defy footballing gravity after beating Borussia Dortmund 2-0, and will be 4 points clear of Bayern (if they end up winning or drawing against Freiburg) at the top of the table. It would have been an impressive achievement if they were to have spent big, doing it on a shoestring compared to Bayern's untold riches is phenomenal.

• Yup, subsequent governments bang on about tackling crime by making sentences longer without tackling the financing for police and courts, and the chances of getting the crime properly investigated and tried in a reasonable amount of time, could easily be pressing witnesses in court about their recollections of something that happened 5 years ago.

• I suppose I'm surprised a club or the FA with millions of pounds riding on it haven't been able to nudge it along.

• edited October 2022

Bayern's stranglehold on the Bundesliga got ridiculous a long time ago, so it's been an encouraging season so far from a neutral POV. Serie A looks very competitive too: top 4 currently Napoli, Atalanta, Lazio and, most unexpectedly of all, Udinese. Lorient upsetting the apple cart to sit second in Ligue 1 after 11 games, although PSG will probably pull away. Hard to see a title race in LaLiga and I think Arsenal will falter (although still comfortably finish in the top 4), but nice to see some surprises across the top 5 leagues.

• I understand what you mean, and you are correct, it's bizarre - but the last time I checked, Man City and Liverpool were not in the EFL.

The thing is, how many times as fans have we complained that we buy an away/change strip and never actually see it in action? It means that parents that fork out £70 (like me) for the away strip actually get their monies' worth!

• Mason Greenwood was arrested on suspicion of rape and other offences in January and released on police bail shortly afterwards.

He was charged with those offences yesterday.

Unless he pleads guilty, there will probably be several procedural court appearances but his substantive court appearance will be months perhaps over a year away.

His employer has suspended him but will currently still be paying him. They will be hoping that he is remanded in custody which will give them the option to terminate his employment. That is not impossible given he allegedly breached his bail conditions earlier this week.

this a sad tale - a huge waste of talent and massive damage to young lives, especially the young lady abused if these allegations are true.

• Ah yes - good point about their not being EFL clubs. I suppose Premier League rules may be different, but the change of strip for Man City seemed unnecessary yesterday. To me it just feels as if this particular tradition of football is being eroded in the interests of making (even) more money from merchandising.

• @Cyclops I agree - needless changes to kit annoy me even when it is not Wycombe involved.

I also think in the brand-based era, it is surprising clubs don't lean into a permanent away/change identity. For instance, if Arsenal always had the bruised banana kit, but tweaked the design every year or two like the home kit, they might sell even more change shirts than if fans know the change colors are just for one season. I would like us to pick a change quarters combination and stick with it.

It will never happen, though.

• On a different subject, the thing I miss are the statistics within the match day programme. I know we can pull up the individual players stats for this season on the club website but the overall number of club appearances and overall goals are not published anywhere as far as I can see.

The programme ‘players stats’ page was something I really enjoyed to read. Maybe our stats expert @ReturnToSenda could do us our own version for the Gasroom? However, I know things like that take time.

• https://twitter.com/BBCOxford/status/1582408739771908098?t=Jl8Y7UZqqc-QKcymDmyBVw&s=19

Brave?

• Used to spend ages analysing that stats page, so know what you mean.

Not the same just waiting for our twitter to announce someone's 200th game is it?

• Barrow v Carlisle delayed after some knob lobbed a firework, which went off near the Barrow goalkeeper - who was ok, thankfully. Playing again now.

• Aberdeen through to the Scottish League Cup Semis. They play Rangers at Hampden in early January.

Delighted for Anthony Stewart who will be leading out Aberdeen in front of 50000 supporters

• Hope he’s silenced all those fans who were questioning his right to be captain (or even in the side in one or two cases) about ten days ago. I think that was probably in the wake of the totally unexpected 4-0 defeat by Dundee United.

• edited October 2022

Good to see Ten Hag not putting up with Ronaldo's manbaby nonsense. Not that I want Man United to improve, but the sooner they get shot of him, the better. One of the worst re-signings in Premier League history.

• Blackburn currently 2nd in Championship having lost 7 league games.

Coventry currently 23rd having lost only 5.

Strange old game.

• Good away wins for Arsenal 1-5 & Chelsea 0-1 Women in the Woman's Champion's League over respectively Lyon (7 time winners of the WECL) & PSG

In other news Steve Gerrard gets the sack from Villa, fairly unsurprising after only getting 9 points from the last 11 games.

• Lost 19/40 games in charge. Oof.

• The dream of him turning up at Liverpool and utterly Sounessing them up may not be realised I'm afraid.

• Here I go again.. neither Ipswich nor Derby wearing their proper strip this evening, when they both could have so. Something to do with some famous bloke who supports one or other of them. It makes one wonder, sometimes, if there is any point in having traditional colours in these days of slavish devotion to marketing opportunities. Apologies... rant over!