Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• Who won your euro game @flymofrank ?

• Probably lived there since 74 and with the place not being built much before then he's miguidedly proud about the fact. He thinks it makes up for supporting a club which doesn't go back more than a couple of decades.

• Ally McCoist on commentary was the real winner tbh

• Bolton winning a playoff semi at the same time as uefa have a 'champions' league game and mk lose is pure football good over evil isn't it?

• Hard to imagine a greater moral situation

• Football 1

Uefa nil

• Franchise minus

• Brilliant it was too, Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

• There was one in '94 after we beat Carlisle as well

• News from Sky about all the EFL games on TV next year: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/32461/13131189/sky-sports-launches-in-august-to-give-more-choice-to-fans-via-live-streams-app-and-new-channel I'm not a Sky subscriber so no idea what this really means, but thought people may be interested!

• edited May 8
    • Four times as many matches from the EFL with all 72 teams featured more than 20 times per season.

The wording of this is a bit odd. Does this mean that we can expect to see Wycombe 'featured' at least 20 times next season?

How many Tuesday night league games do we normally play in a season? 10 maybe? Does this mean we should anticipate at least ten other games being moved from 3pm?

• I took it to mean the whole fixture schedule will be shown live 20 times a season - which I guess proves its ambiguity 😂

• “Championship, League One or League Two fan? Your team will be live on Sky Sports at least 20 times next season! Matches will be broadcast live across existing Sky Sports channels or on the brand new Sky Sports+ at no extra cost (more on that below!)”

• So in a 46 game season, at least 20 of those will not be kicking off at 3pm on a saturday?

Terrific.

@glasshalffull will be along in a bit to say how this is only a good thing

• This year we played 18 not at 3pm on a Saturday, so hopefully not a huge change! That includes: Tuesday midweeks (11), Wednesday midweek (1), Saturday 12:30 (1), bank holiday games (4 - Boxing Day, NYD, Good Friday, Easter Monday), plus a Friday night game on 29th December. If you take that two or three were rescheduled ones because of cup runs or pitches, then it is an increase of 5 or so based on the original schedule. Not horrendous but definitely not ideal.

• Just to put this in perspective, of our 23 home league games last season, eight were not played on Sat at 3pm. May not actually be as different as we think especially if rules allow them to do "specials" like they are planning on opening day of season which presumably will be Sat at 3pm (but may not be at home). Wording doesn't necessarily say 20 league games, just featured 20 times so may be including the EFL trophy and league cup games too.

• I'm surprised it was that many, thanks for the detail.

Like you said though, we were scheduled to play more and some got moved for clashing with international weekends or falling foul of the weather

• Yeah believe they are saying that the 20 will include all bank holiday games (Christmas/NY/Easter), all midweeks, first and last day, and any games we play during international breaks. Don't think we will see a huge number being shifted for TV in terms of time.

• Also, note "at least" 20, it could be more

• I imagine it would be almost impossible logistically to guarantee exactly 20 games for each of 24 clubs in each division. You would have thought they would be looking to push it as much as they can so that Bolton and Birmingham get more games and Accrington and Morecambe the bare minimum. I guess we will have to see impact on crowds - especially perhaps away attendances. Was notable that quite a few people on this forum had already switched to watching by screen at least for away games. Shame. On the other hand good for those who for example can no longer attend but have to say I do find watching lower league football on screen on my own often pretty unengaging.

• What’s the deal with extending international breaks into L1? Hopefully if the decision makers have any sense (lol) they’ll choose to move games that would be moved anyway

• No wonder they haven't bothered to try and sell us season tickets for next season.

• Here's my memory of pitch invasions @flymofrank

92.....lost the league to scum but we all came on to see the team lift the Bob Lord trophy

93...all but mathematically won the conference on a Thursday night against Runcorn. all sorts of lunatics were running around

93...the next Saturday we officially won the League after losing to Macclesfield......we ran on the pitch(and I touched Martin Oneill's shoulder shouting "Don't go Martin")

93....Gander Green Lane (Sutton United FC..FA Trophy Semi). for me, the greatest pitch invasion of all time. It happened gradually during the second half. Wycombe supporters spilled onto the sand and Martin sent someone around to organise us and tell us to sit down. One of the most wonderful moments in football ever.

Cant be arsed to do the rest ...if anyone would like to carry on

• Asorry it was WBA in the second round of the FA Cup when I touched him. 2 nil down 2 all up

• Altrincham away in 1991 was the finest, as it finally confirmed we were going (back) to Wembley.

I meant an old school friend on the pitch who I hadn't seen since 1976!

Glorious day

• @Twizz i wish i was a little bit older what great times it must have been

• i've told this story before..but here it is again

in 91 i was a kid. Mark West coached us kids in Stokenchurch...and then scored a diving header to win the Cup

rubbish story sorry

• @LX1 at Oxford away this season, quite by chance, who were I and my grown up son sat next to?

The same friend & his grown up son!

In fairness we have met a few times since 1991 as we live in the Wycombe area.

Sometimes it's the random connections you make with people that make football so much fun.

Like the connection I have to @micra - he and my father used to stand together on the terrace (aka cowshed) at Loakes Park.