Skip to content

Man of the Match - Crewe

2»

Comments

• @Malone said:
    Scowen does so much good but seems to have one major error recently. The needless foul midweek on the edge of the box, and a really dangerous misplaced pass yesterday that gave Kashket his one opening.

However, he's been quality on the whole.

Josh is superb, an absolute marvel, one of the main reasons we are top. In my mind he is POTM most weeks. His stamina is extraordinary, up and down, side to side. He suddenly pops up from nowhere to clean up and stop an attack. Yes, he over eggs it sometimes, a misplaced tackle or pass, but he plays right on the edge, so we have to expect that from time to time.

• well said @Steve_Peart And there were a couple of absolutely exquisite long passes from him yesterday.

• Crazy how different we see the game sometimes. Thought Scowen and Hanlan were both excellent yesterday

• @Malone said:

@HomeGameRegular said:
    Went for Tafazolli - but Obita was very good today (and seems to be a bit undervalued generally on this site).

I think that's less and less true as the weeks go by after a quiet start.
    He's essential to this system.

Strongly agree. Both Obita and McCarthy are fundamental to playing with wing backs. Sullay Kaikai struggled to fill in for JMc earlier in the season and Grimmer did so but to less effect as well. I'm not sure we have anyone in the squad to fill in for Obita on the left side - Wheeler perhaps?

I don't think its a coincidence that results have picked up since McCarthy came back into the side, and we've been able to play square pegs in square holes on each side of the pitch.

• edited October 2021

@DJWYC14 said:

Crazy how different we see the game sometimes. Thought Scowen and Hanlan were both excellent yesterday

Yeah, they were

• @drcongo said:
    Obita has really grown on me and was really good today.

At the start of the season Obita did lots of running but his end-product was sloppy. In recent weeks his end-product has really improved.

Hopefully the same thing will happen with McCarthy.

• McCarthy improves ball progression down that side and gets in better positions to receive than, say, Grimmer playing there - especially on the counter - but his end product and decision-making were severely lacking yesterday. But he's never been consistent with his crossing.

• Fascinating how we see the game differently. All of the Crewe threat came down their left where they clearly targeted McCarthy. He was often caught out of position in defence and going forward lots of effort but little end product, that break in the first half where he simply had no idea what to do summed it up.

• I'd have Mehmeti for Mccleary and Grimmer for Mccarthy.... Horgan and Sully pushing Mehmeti

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Fascinating how we see the game differently. All of the Crewe threat came down their left where they clearly targeted McCarthy. He was often caught out of position in defence and going forward lots of effort but little end product, that break in the first half where he simply had no idea what to do summed it up.

See I don’t think people do see it that differently. It just expectations. You are seeing McCarthy as a full back and saying he played badly based on that. I saw an attacking wing back who was a bit wasteful with his crosses. Likewise Hanlan seems to be caught in the ‘if you aren’t brilliant you must be rubbish’ viewpoint. For me he was a threat who had three or four decent chances to score but for some he missed three or four chances so was rubbish.

Saying all that I did hear someone at half time giving it full barrels at the cheek of Taffazolli claiming the first goal as his shot was going yards wide.

• McCarthy was superb last Saturday. Admittedly Doncaster gave him acres of space but he caused problems and got some good crosses in (and missed a sitter).

• We play a back three but wingbacks have to cover. Stewart did brilliantly when left exposed by McCarthy being skinned on several occasions.
    Yes Jason is usual better than Grimmer going forward (but not on yesterday’s performance) but not as good at the defensive duties.
    Before he was transferred to Millwall he was a first pick, now he is one of our lesser players, shows how far the squad (& our expectations) have come.

• I'm amazed people are happy for Horgan to be on the bench.... he's been fantastic this season so far ! Only just behind McCleary in my opinion

• Re-watched the 20 minutes after the equaliser and I do have to say we were brilliant after that goal, absolutely relentless and played very, very well.

Hanlan had an off day with his finishing but his movement off of Vokes’ flicks, his strength, pace and work ethic are fantastic. He is a superb signing (again) from the management team.

Obita I’ve not been convinced with early in the season but he has really been great in recent weeks. Pace and a great engine up and down. And his crossing has really clicked and he looks a big threat.

The McCarthy/Grimmer debate is interesting. Grimmer is a far, far better defender than McCarthy but generally Jason is far superior going forward. Not so obviously recently I concede, but his attacking performance ceiling is much higher. But his crossing and delivery of a final pass is still looking very rusty (when compared to his end of season form) and was particularly poor yesterday. Hopefully he can get himself into some form and confidence as the season progresses. I think there is room for both to play at various times depending on the situation.

Still gutted about McCleary but so long as he isn’t out for more than 5 or 6 weeks it may give him a good chance to rest in a long season, and hopefully allow Horgan, Kaikai and Mehmeti a chance to come to the fore.

For that final 20 minutes I also listened to the Crewe commentary and was amazed at how little credit they gave to the battering at the end. It was just constant references to ‘up and under’ and ‘that’s how they play’ and didn’t acknowledge a lot of the excellent football to manoeuvre the ball into crossing areas.

• And with McCleary most likely out there's no need at all t> @HolmerBlue said:

I'm amazed people are happy for Horgan to be on the bench.... he's been fantastic this season so far ! Only just behind McCleary in my opinion

@HolmerBlue said:
    I'm amazed people are happy for Horgan to be on the bench.... he's been fantastic this season so far ! Only just behind McCleary in my opinion

Exactly. I can understand him being rotated at times when we favour McCleary and Hanlan. But I can't understand any notion of anyone else getting above him in the order.

• @Quarterman said:
    Re-watched the 20 minutes after the equaliser and I do have to say we were brilliant after that goal, absolutely relentless and played very, very well.

For that final 20 minutes I also listened to the Crewe commentary and was amazed at how little credit they gave to the battering at the end. It was just constant references to ‘up and under’ and ‘that’s how they play’ and didn’t acknowledge a lot of the excellent football to manoeuvre the ball into crossing areas.

I too listened to the away commentary team for those minutes. I know there is a HGV driver shortage, but surely Tescos can't be selling so many out of date grapes oop North?

I do accept that your own commentary team are going to be a little myopic, but those 2 just take the it to the extreme. I'd like to think that whilst I can view a game through blue tinted specs, I am also balanced in my summation. Pure pressure alone for the last 15+ stoppage time told a story. Yes, Stocko made two world class saves, (the pick for me was the 2nd half one), but how many blocks & saves did the Crewe defence & keeper make. How many 1v1s did we create? Stating that the referee disappeared down the tunnel quick "told a story" is just laughable. Of course he isn't going to stay on the pitch until the last player has done so, when players are celebrating. Quote, "Wycombe celebrate as if they've won the league Championship". Well it's not a surprise when they've been battering a red wall downfor 20 minutes and it finally cracked open!

Thanks heavens for Phil Catchpole. At least if we are playing crap he does get that out in his commentary, maybe not as we fans say it, but in a more PC way.

• I think it was a disgrace Wycombe fans celebrated at the end as if they had salvaged a victory from a draw after an exciting last fifteen minutes and retained their unbeaten home record.

• @HolmerBlue said:

It's bonkers. If he's fit, he'll start in GMac's place at Fleetwood.

• I can understand Crewe being upset.
    A miserable season so far, and they put in a strong shut out job away at a team in 2nd, who are on a 100% record, only to have it stolen at the end.

However, any idea it was unlucky in any way at all, after that absolute onslaught in the last 15mins is laughable.

• @EwanHoosaami Surely everything Phil Catchpole does is in a PC way ;)

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    @EwanHoosaami Surely everything Phil Catchpole does is in a PC way ;)

The penny has only just dropped! Well, it is Sunday after all.

• Thought he used a laptop!?

• I don't know why people get so upset about opposition fans. I loveit

• @Shev said:
    Mehmeti may be about to have his moment if McLeary is out for significant time. I would go with Anis and Horgs to start against Fleetwood currently (assuming GMac is indeed out).

As I was saying, keep Hanlan in the team! (Ahem)