Skip to content

Man of the Match season standings (10 / 46)

edited October 2021 in Football

Another five games have come and gone, so time to update the MOTM race. Here are the top ten in three categories:

Overall votes:
1. McLeary - 127
2. Scowen - 99
3. Jacobson - 45
4. Stockdale - 40
5. Tafazolli - 39
6. Stewart - 37*
7. Vokes - 37*
8. Pendlebury - 30
9. Horgan - 23*
10. Thompson - 23*
(*note: votes per start used as tiebreaker when level)

Votes per start:
1. McLeary - 15.87
2. Pendlebury - 10
3. Scowen - 9.9
4. Tafazolli - 6.5
5. Jacobson - 4.5
6. Stewart - 4.11
7. Stockdale - 4
8. Horgan - 3.83
9. Vokes - 3.7
10. Thompson - 3.28
(note: Pendlebury will drop off the next list if he does not start more games, owing to small sample size)

MOTM Awards

1. Scowen - 3 (incl. 1 shared)
  2. McLeary - 2
  3. Jacobson - 2 (incl. 1 shared)
  4. Stewart - 1
  5. Vokes - 1
  6. Pendlebury - 1
  7. Thompson - 1
  8. Stockdale - 1 (shared)

Some of my thoughts so far:

McLeary is now leading despite starting two less games than Scowen, which is very impressive. It is hard to see these two being caught with such a gap, but you never know. Scowen has been the most consistent, with at least one vote in every single start.

Tafazolli has had a very good season, and his votes per start (which I consider the best indicator) reflect that better, owing to him only starting 6 of the 10 matches.

As I said before, I feel it is harder for defenders to garner votes in seasons where we are winning more than we lose and scoring a decent amount of goals, so I am not discounting personally still voting for a defender, even if none of them win this race. That being said, McLeary is my Player of the Season to date.

Comments

• Great stuff @shev. Thanks for crunching the numbers.

• Thanks @Shev, interesting stuff. That McCleary game, where he was incredible with every touch, is a bit of a rarity I'd imagine - it's not often where one player is so good they're going to walk the vote. Most weeks it's hard to single someone out when it's usually such a team performance and I've never looked at someone else's votes and thought they didn't deserve them. That game though, madness to vote for anyone else.