Skip to content

Enhanced match day experience for the dog

13»

Comments

• @YorkshireBlue said:
    Scott Mcleash is excellent @Steve_Peart!

Scott is Assistant Manager at Spartan South Midlands Premier side Leverstock Green this season and, at the age of 47, is still making regular appearances. Three starts so far this season, longest he has lasted in a game was the 82nd minute. Several sub appearances as well.

• Jock German Shepherd.

• @Steve_Peart said:

@YorkshireBlue said:
    Scott Mcleash is excellent @Steve_Peart!

Scott is Assistant Manager at Spartan South Midlands Premier side Leverstock Green this season and, at the age of 47, is still making regular appearances. Three starts so far this season, longest he has lasted in a game was the 82nd minute. Several sub appearances as well.

So he's been let off the leash then! Goes to show that if you keep yourself fit and have a football brain then you can keep going for the love of it.

• Being of a certain age (I.e. old) I can remember the Brentford goalkeeper Chick Broadie's career being ended by a dog, at Layer Road if my memory serves... The events went something like this - dog runs on pitch, ball runs through to keeper, both dog and keeper go for ball and collide spectacularly resulting in a career ending injury for poor Chick. The dog's state of health afterwards is not recorded. Anyway, what happened to dogs running on the pitch, once so much a feature of lower (and sometimes higher) league football?

• Has anyone already done Pal Hayes?

• You lot are all barking mad. Great fun post.

• edited September 2021

Tricky little Bosnian winger perhaps on Gareth's radar. Clearly fouled at the end surely?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/58666923
    Proper football...

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Ben Chillingham has created a map of non-league clubs in steps 1-5, showing if they allow dogs in.

http://bit.ly/DogsInNonLeague

Now updated to include step 6, where known.

• Can't avoid asking myself "why?"
    Strange hobbies

• Dogs at non-league football matches is a fine old tradition, @DevC. Nothing worse than turning up with your pooch only to be turned away, so someone was bound to research this. Maybe Ben had had this experience.

• I go to quite a lot of step5 matches these days (Holmer Greenish level) @Steve_Peart . I was at one on Saturday. Bloody enjoyable day out as it happened. 5-3, pouring rain both teams leading at one stage, refereeing controversy, losing team pushing for a draw but caught in last minute on break to seal the game. Proper football.
    Cant honestly say I would take my dog nor can I remember seeing one but don't have any particular objection if someone does. Honestly though if I wanted to, I'd check with the local club before going. I wouldn't rely on a national database - no disrespect to the compiler - I just wouldn't trust its accuracy as things change.
    And if I am based in SW, I really wouldn't expect to care what that level of club in say Lancashire was doing.
    Remarkable bit of work and all credit to the guy doing it but I still ask myself "why"!

• Gresley Rovers is 'unknown' but been reliably informed they are allowed

• @DevC said:

Remarkable bit of work and all credit to the guy doing it but I still ask myself "why"!

We’ve all on here said exactly the same thing to some of your more ‘extended’ posts…. (said the pot)