Skip to content

Match day thread: Aston villa U21 (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• @Malone @MJS The advertising boards were way too bright on iFollow too - meaning that the camera was having to adjust the aperture to accommodate which left the pitch looking pretty dark at times. Not awful, but not perfect. I don't remember that being an issue last season, so presumably the brightness switch got accidentally stuck on "BLIND THEM".

• No ones mentioned the real issue which is the lack of punctuation in ‘Yeah, I’m a Wanderer.’

• No one's

• Re the advertising boards, we were stood up at the back of the terrace and they were blinding, epsc when red or white. We wondered whether they were as bad at ground level ? If so then surely it would be off putting to the players? Image being about to take a penalty and half way through the run up it changed to white !?

• @drcongo said:
    Sorry @floyd

Ha! Fully deserved.

• 'Up the Wyc' really gets on people's, er, wick, doesn't it? Just because older fans don't use it doesn't mean it's not a thing; it very much is!

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Re the advertising boards, we were stood up at the back of the terrace and they were blinding, epsc when red or white. We wondered whether they were as bad at ground level ? If so then surely it would be off putting to the players? Image being about to take a penalty and half way through the run up it changed to white !?

The boards are a problem, very distracting, if not irritating, to the point that I had to look away from the game at times, to the calm neutrality of the Frank Adams side. I, too, wondered if it distracts the players.

• "Up the Wyc" gets on my nerves because it sounds like a badly thought through Frankie Howard gag, I've never heard anyone in the UK say "up the" anything with regards to sport, and I've never heard anyone call Wycombe "Wyc" or "the Wyc". Everything about it is wrong.

• At least it’s not ‘let’s go Wycombe!’

• edited September 2021

@drcongo People use 'up the [whoever]' all the time in a football context. It does grate when people refer to the town as 'Wyc', but I've started to use it to refer to the team after previously objecting just as strongly as some on here!

• Maybe 'UP THE 'COMBE!' would be better, though? Idk

• Or maybe ‘Come on you Blues’ which has been the stadium unifying chant for decades.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Or maybe ‘Come on you Blues’ which has been the stadium unifying chant for decades.

That hasn't been banned as far as I'm aware

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Or maybe ‘Come on you Blues’ which has been the stadium unifying chant for decades.

This...

"Wyc" is awful, irritating and dare I say it, sounds a bit chavvy... I'd never heard it said at all until the 15/16 year old yoofs started it a couple of years ago

• @drcongo I can't believe no local ever said "gorn up the grind this arternune?" to you in the good old days when Bucks accents were still a thing.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Lloyd2084 said:

That hasn't been banned as far as I'm aware

Yet.

• What is wrong with a good old fashioned 'Come on Wycombe' ? Can be delivered with enthusiasm or frustration or sad dejection. Up the Wyc? Oh dear me no.

• I am worried that I now find myself agreeing with almost everything Wendoverman posts!

• Must be long-covid.

• How could I disagree with a diagnosis from a doctor!

• What beat is the drummer using for the 'Up the Wyc' chant?

Personally I don't like it but it's along way down a list of things to get annoyed about. It will catch on or it won't. Like Betamax.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I am worried that I now find myself agreeing with almost everything Wendoverman posts!

It will pass.

• Surely "Up the" only works when the last word starts with a vowel.

Like Up the Ammers.

• Or on a suppository instruction leaflet.

• @ReturnToSenda ’Up the Combe’ ? oooh matron
    @Lloyd2084 ”come on you blues” ‘chant’ has always sounded like a funereal durdge to me sending players into mourning rather than exhorting them to victory!
    Other posters. Re the pitch side boards, they are brand new this season, last year’s Championship requirements were only hired at short notice, so folks ‘the future’s bright….’

• @floyd said:
    It was great to hear @BrianJeeves68 again too.

Appreciate it @floyd. It was great to see everyone again. I must admit, I was a little nervous. I'd not done co-comms for almost a year. Hope to be back soon. Really enjoy being at Adams Park - Jeevesie

• The Wyc’s has always been the nickname of High Wycombe Rugby Club.

• edited September 2021

@ReturnToSenda ’Up the Combe’ ? oooh matron
    @Lloyd2084 ”come on you blues” ‘chant’ has always sounded like a funereal durdge to me sending players into mourning rather than exhorting them to victory!
    Other posters. Re the pitch side boards, they are brand new this season, last year’s Championship requirements were only hired at short notice, so folks ‘the future’s bright….’

We had a display screen made up of the individual panels like they use at the football put in at work, same company does Man City, It was ridiculously bright and hot because the chap didn't know what he was doing. Next chap turned it all down 40% or so and it was still fine. Seemed to think if it had stayed like that it would have died years earlier than normal too.

• edited September 2021

It's important to realize that British and American fans exhort their teams onto glory in different directions.

Britain: "Come on Wycombe!"
    U.S.A.: "Let's go Wycombe!"

I fear that unless the communication is ironed out, the future years may be stormy as our players are increasingly bemused as to whether they should be coming or going.