Skip to content

Mehmeti yesterday

So most of us saw what we thought was Mehmeti raise an arm to o9 yesterday. But what's the protocol now. The FA charge him base on a video 50m away. He says he got pinched on the back of the neck and swung his arm to shake off the player but did not make contact. Who's to argue? Will o9 be a witness. If he did make contact in the way that o9 went down I guess the bruising and stitches he has on his face will condemn Mehmeti.

And is o9 a sh1tbag now or is that part and parcel of the game?

Comments

• edited August 2021

I think O'Nien has always been a shitbag; he just wears a different coloured shirt now.

• If you leave a superior club that gets promoted to the Championship, you deserve a good slap no?

• Maybe if we all stop making these threads we might weasel off scot free ;)

• @Malone said:
    Maybe if we all stop making these threads we might weasel off scot free ;)

I was coming from the Angle that o9 should be banned for simulation

• edited August 2021

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Malone said:

Patrick Bamford got banned for something similar a couple of years back - one of the handful of players to actually get a retrospective diving ban since they brought them in. First ever one was that Carlisle player against us in the 3-3 up there.

But Mehmeti did quite clearly throw a punch, so maybe they both get banned? ?‍♂️

• Video of the Bamford incident here

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Malone said:

Simulation? He did get punched in fairness :)

• @Malone said:

@Malone said:

He got an extremely weak hit to the top of his shoulder at the most ? 09 went down like he'd been chinned by Mike Tyson

• @Alexo said:

@Malone said:

@Malone said:

He got an extremely weak hit to the top of his shoulder at the most ? 09 went down like he'd been chinned by Mike Tyson

I'm hoping that's how anyone who happens to be looking at it, sees it for sure.

• Well JJ’s Left Foot went off on one via Twitter but I personally didn’t think it looked too much. We all know what a diving bastard O9 is … I hated it at Wycombe and it’s worse than ever now

• edited August 2021

O9 raised an arm right around Anis’ neck / shoulder. Anis raised and swung an arm. As play continued the ref looked back at 09 and was not interested at all. He even appeared to tell 09 off when play broke down. 09 jumped up and started running when Sunderland broke less than a minute later which didn’t help his cause. The linesman (who was blind as a bat to be fair) was about 15m away didn’t give anything. Based on this I think the ref would be opening himself up a can of worms if he said he missed it, so a sensible approach might be to warn both clubs on controlling their players.

• To add to all this, I think we should lay off Mehmeti a little. Whilst I agree he should know better, that it could have made for a thoroughly miserable afternoon for players and fans alike and that he easily could / should have been sent off, just remember that it is a difficult and hostile stadium, he is a young player, and that he has only ever played about 2 previous away games with fans in his professional career. He could have hidden yesterday, but he tried his best, ran his socks off and tried to be his usual creative self.

• Let's wait and see how GA responds. The management team will know what actually happened and will respond accordingly. The EFL/FA may not need to be involved on the basis of (very?) weak video evidence.