Skip to content

Comments

• Brilliant as usual Tom. Excellent preview and I look forward to the analysis following our victory.

• @Blue_since_1990 That's the spirit!

• Very good read, also found our friends on this tweet, it's not easy or cheap being that terrible for a decade

• Match day build up starts with your previews for me! Great read again ?

• Excellent, thank you Tom

• It's interesting reading that Sunderland play a patient build-up play system, it's not the image I associate with them. If any team in the league should be playing gritty, aggressive long ball, it's Sunderland. But I guess they've moved on from the Niall Quinn, Roy Keane era now. Makes it all the more baffling why they would criticise other teams for playing it though.

Wonder what Vokes' record is against Sunderland. I bet he's scored some goals at the Stadium of Light before.

• https://www.not606.com/threads/sunderland-v-wycombe-–-saturday-28th-august-2021-ko-15-00.395223/

Here is the preview from one of our sites

• Error on there mate

• @Safc_in_peace said:
    https://www.not606.com/threads/sunderland-v-wycombe-–-saturday-28th-august-2021-ko-15-00.395223/

Thanks!

• On Sunderland, am I the only person who happens to know about 6 Sunderland fans in High Wycombe? Are they relatively well supported around here considering the distance?

• @HCblue said:

@Safc_in_peace said:
    https://www.not606.com/threads/sunderland-v-wycombe-–-saturday-28th-august-2021-ko-15-00.395223/

Thanks!

Though, as @username123 says, the link does not work!

• @aloysius said:
    It's interesting reading that Sunderland play a patient build-up play system, it's not the image I associate with them. If any team in the league should be playing gritty, aggressive long ball, it's Sunderland. But I guess they've moved on from the Niall Quinn, Roy Keane era now. Makes it all the more baffling why they would criticise other teams for playing it though.

Wonder what Vokes' record is against Sunderland. I bet he's scored some goals at the Stadium of Light before.

We are playing a totally different style to last season keeping the ball on the deck and moving the ball at pace , key to this is Dan Neil who has the ability to read the game and pick out a pass and then make the pass. If we don’t go up he will be away to a top flight club. He is special for this level.

The average age of the team is about three years younger than last year, so expect a lot of energy plenty of skill and a few mistakes as the kids learn how to play the mans game.

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@aloysius said:
    It's interesting reading that Sunderland play a patient build-up play system, it's not the image I associate with them. If any team in the league should be playing gritty, aggressive long ball, it's Sunderland. But I guess they've moved on from the Niall Quinn, Roy Keane era now. Makes it all the more baffling why they would criticise other teams for playing it though.

We are playing a totally different style to last season keeping the ball on the deck and moving the ball at pace , key to this is Dan Neil who has the ability to read the game and pick out a pass and then make the pass. If we don’t go up he will be away to a top flight club. He is special for this level.

The average age of the team is about three years younger than last year, so expect a lot of energy plenty of skill and a few mistakes as the kids learn how to play the mans game.

Heard great things about Callum Doyle from a Sunderland supporting friend, but a 17 year old centre back won't have a bigger test than being up against Vokes and McCleary right now.

• I think I read that Sunderland are not the tallest team. A new and interesting twist if so, as it has seemed so far this season that we’ve been playing teams from the Land of the Giants.

• edited August 2021

@username123 said:
    On Sunderland, am I the only person who happens to know about 6 Sunderland fans in High Wycombe? Are they relatively well supported around here considering the distance?

Sunderland have a very large national fan base. I knew a fellow that lived in Holmer Green, (died tragically young since), and used to drive up there for every single home match plus all over the country for away matches. I have also attended an event in London for the London based Sunderland supporters association. My wifes' father was originally from Sunderland, plus I have a mate that used to play for them years ago, hence my link. Added to which football in the North-East is closer to the hearts of families up there, it shouldn't be underestimated the powerful emotions that football can spur in that region!

• @HCblue said:

@HCblue said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

Thanks!

@HCblue said:

@HCblue said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

Thanks!

@HCblue said:

@HCblue said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

Thanks!

Ok just got the not606 Sunderland page/site and the preview thread is on there.

• @Brownie said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@aloysius said:

Heard great things about Callum Doyle from a Sunderland supporting friend, but a 17 year old centre back won't have a bigger test than being up against Vokes and McCleary right now.

Doyle, at 17 is outstanding, if his current form is anything to go by he will play for England in a few years time. The left back we have signed from Spurs is a current England under 21 as well and the Dane from West Ham is in the Danish Unser 21 set up as well. So as I have said young but very talented.

Dan Neil in midfield is only about 20 as well.

Evans and Pritchard add experience to the young signings, although Evan may miss out with injury. It is only a couple of years since Pritchard was sold for over £10m, we got him as a free at the end of his contract.

The other player who seems to have gone unnoticed outside Sunderland is Ross Stewart, signed in the previous window carrying an injury so only got into the team towards the end of the season, about 6ft 3, quick mobile, good control and vision. Leads the line well and is ten times the footballer Wyke will ever be. This is why we were not bothered that he left. In fact I think we are a much better team now that he has gone. We had one plan, which worked, but increasingly team would have found ways to stop us.

All in all we are more excited by this team than any since we were in the top flight. That’s not saying that they would survive in the top flight just that we have hope again.

• Thanks for that @Safc_in_peace. Very different lineup to the teams we played against two seasons ago. Wycombe are very different too, both in personnel and style. Although we are still ‘direct’ and at our most effective on the counter (cf possession percentages), we keep the bsll on the deck much more and, to us fans at least, much more entertaining. Exciting even! Tomorrow is very hard to call, not least because we have one or two key players either injured or feeling their way back to full fitness following injury.

You may have seen our charity prediction thread (Samaritans this season) in which a majority (I think) are predicting a draw, mostly 1-1 but I’ve gone for 2-2. Have to say I’d be delighted with that at this stage.
    Thanks again for visiting.

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@Brownie said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@aloysius said:

Doyle, at 17 is outstanding, if his current form is anything to go by he will play for England in a few years time. The left back we have signed from Spurs is a current England under 21 as well and the Dane from West Ham is in the Danish Unser 21 set up as well. So as I have said young but very talented.

Dan Neil in midfield is only about 20 as well.

Evans and Pritchard add experience to the young signings, although Evan may miss out with injury. It is only a couple of years since Pritchard was sold for over £10m, we got him as a free at the end of his contract.

The other player who seems to have gone unnoticed outside Sunderland is Ross Stewart, signed in the previous window carrying an injury so only got into the team towards the end of the season, about 6ft 3, quick mobile, good control and vision. Leads the line well and is ten times the footballer Wyke will ever be. This is why we were not bothered that he left. In fact I think we are a much better team now that he has gone. We had one plan, which worked, but increasingly team would have found ways to stop us.

All in all we are more excited by this team than any since we were in the top flight. That’s not saying that they would survive in the top flight just that we have hope again.

Should be a great game, I'm on a feisty 1-1 draw. It is probably still a "pinch yourself" moment for almost any Wycombe fan that Sunderland vs Wycombe in front of approx 30,000 fans in one of the biggest grounds in the country is viewed as Sunderland's biggest and toughest game of the season to date. I dare say it's possibly a "pinch yourself" moment for Sunderland fans too, albeit for different reasons...

Echoing @micra thanks for the visit, here's to a great game (and 3 points for the mighty Blues) come 3pm tomorrow.

• I think the first 20 minutes will be crucial. I watched their play off game against Lincoln at the SOL last season and at the start the atmosphere was intimidating towards the opposition. Had Lincoln conceded in the early stages I think Sunderland would have gone on to win, but they didn’t and the crowd began to turn against their own team. I don’t know if our friend from Sunderland would agree, but I have often found this to be the case at the SOL. If Wycombe can survive an expected early onslaught tomorrow, I think we could get something out of the game. A draw would be a great result.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I think the first 20 minutes will be crucial. I watched their play off game against Lincoln at the SOL last season and at the start the atmosphere was intimidating towards the opposition. Had Lincoln conceded in the early stages I think Sunderland would have gone on to win, but they didn’t and the crowd began to turn against their own team. I don’t know if our friend from Sunderland would agree, but I have often found this to be the case at the SOL. If Wycombe can survive an expected early onslaught tomorrow, I think we could get something out of the game. A draw would be a great result.

This season there seems to be a totally different atmosphere through out the club, including the fans and the toxic atmosphere has gone. The Mai reason is that over the last couple of months the new owner has not just talked about change but has implemented change across almost every aspect of the club. As a result the fans are much more supportive and haven’t got on the players backs once this season.

The only negative reaction has been to the move to a totally cashless ground. Any food or drinks must be paid for by card or phone, no cash turnstiles at any game. All tickets to be bought online and downloaded to your phone, so no paper tickets at all.

• This is an excellent listen, @bluntphil, talking about Wycombe with his usual mix of enthusiasm and candor to the Roker Rapport.

I must say we are lucky to have him.

• Thanks for your input @Safc_in_peace really interesting and I reckon we might be playing you at the right point in the season if the youngsters are still bedding in. I hope it's a good game. I look forward to you coming on afterwards to say 'Fine if you like that sort of thing but how can you watch that every week...?' :smile:

• @Wendoverman said:
    Thanks for your input @Safc_in_peace really interesting and I reckon we might be playing you at the right point in the season if the youngsters are still bedding in. I hope it's a good game. I look forward to you coming on afterwards to say 'Fine if you like that sort of thing but how can you watch that every week...?' :smile:

They are bedded in as five wins in six shows. The one we lost we were the better team and should have been three or four up by half time.

• The one we lost we were the better team and should have been three or four up by half time.

Funnily enough...that's what every opposing team has said about our games so far! :smiley:

• edited August 2021

The link works, just copy and paste the whole thing.

Some awful comments on that thread though. They really seem to dislike us and in particular Ainsworth. Whilst I’m sure none of them would admit it, I wonder if him reportedly turning them down a couple of years ago has something to do with it.

This post stood out but I confess I gave up reading after a while due to the general entitlement and snobbery that made up the majority of the comments.

————————————

‘Will never forget these ****s cheating their way into the play-offs at our expense.

They’ve had a good start but I don’t see any quality there, at all. Shame that they are too strong to land in their rightful place in League 2.

Think many of us revelled in them losing every week last season and I think the atmosphere will be charged because of that history. Let’s get at them.

3-1 the lads and **** this lot.’

————————————

I’d love to know how our place in the playoffs was at their expense? We were both on 59 points and they had played two games more! As I say, incredible entitlement. In addition the fact he doesn’t see ‘any quality there’ is interesting, I wonder how much knowledge he actually has of our squad and League One in general outside of his own team. A reminder there that Sunderland are in fact a League One team, but that’s probably someone else’s fault.

This will be a really tough game, possibly the biggest test we’ll face all season. As @ReturnToSenda mentions in his preview, that 4-0 drubbing last time there was a real low point of the promotion season and it would be very nice indeed fo erase those memories.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited August 2021

I thought we cheated our way into the play-offs at the expense of Peterborough, how many other teams would have made the play-offs if we hadn't have accumulated quite so many points? Honestly, I feel really bad, had it not been for us we could have experienced 7 or 8 teams making the play off semis, imagine the battle royale that would have ensued with all those teams playing on the same pitch. Would have made Running Man seem pale.

• You're right @Ed_ if only the two far superior teams we faced in the play-offs had not let us win over the three games that they had to teach us a footballing lesson.

• Don't forget, our blatant cheating, and the fact our single vote counted for more than all the other clubs' combined, also relegated Tranmere. Who should rightfully have been in the play-of... hmm, I'm confused.

• @Twizz said:
    This is an excellent listen, @bluntphil, talking about Wycombe with his usual mix of enthusiasm and candor to the Roker Rapport.

I must say we are lucky to have him.

Thanks for sharing @Twizz , Great listen that. @bluntphil as enthusiastic as ever and a good sense of pride listening to that. Hope you enjoy shouting at the laptop screen Phil if you can't make it up there and hope to bump into you somewhere random on the way to an away game before too long.