Skip to content

Match day thread: Stevenage (League cup)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @LeedsBlue I was thinking the same thing. Seen lots of that type of cross from Horgan in his time at Wycombe and generally they drift out of play, must to the frustration of everybody. I think it's just a case of having someone in there who can time their run and is tuned in to what Horgan is doing. De Barr certainly seemed to do that last night.

• If Horgan can deliver that ball consistently Vokes is going to get 20 plus goals. But consistency of final ball and shooting is not where he has been at since he signed. We all know he’s capable but has to deliver.
    On consistency of crossing Kaikai consistently hit the letter S behind the goal with his crossing in the first half. What a pro

• Horgan was a bit up and down for me last term, you could see why McLeary got the nod but he certainly looks the class he undoubtably is so far. Great to have him and McLeary on form. I hope we also start to see more from Kaikai as he gets comfortable.

• @AlanCecil said:
    I presume Stevenage won the toss and chose the end away from us. Hence we chose to go first with the penalties

From Law 10

PROCEDURE

BEFORE KICKS FROM THE PENALTY MARK START
    Unless there are other considerations (e.g. ground conditions, safety etc.), the referee tosses a coin to decide the goal at which the kicks will be taken which may only be changed for safety reasons or if the goal or playing surface becomes unusable
    The referee tosses a coin again and the team that wins the toss decides whether to take the first or second kick

In the first toss the determines heads is one end, tails the other. The captains should get to call and choose.

• @carrickblue said:

In the first toss the determines heads is one end, tails the other. The captains should get to call and choose.

The captains should NOT get to call and choose

Must check before posting as can’t seem to edit using iPhone

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Just watched the Gaz post match interview. I know I defended Alex Revell earlier, but really the honesty and generosity of Gaz's praise of Stevenage is something else.

It's a great interview, particularly since Revell spent about ten seconds waving his finger in GA's face after the sh0ot out.

• @HCblue said:
    Yes, I could see the two gelling quite well, I think. Horgan has linked very well with McLeary so far this season and DeBarr is similar in the way he seems to make pacy runs that Horgan would be attuned to finding.

Similar to this a few years ago in the Gibraltar League.

• I think Tjay deserves his chance and I really wish him well. He is a nice young lad and he will listen and learn. This development group of players are certainly looking to be very promising indeed. The club have made a massive step forward and I have no doubt two or three of these players will really make it in the game.

• From what I saw Tjay looks an enthusiastic striker who certainly took his chance to when it came to him. How different he is to our 2 other enthusiastic strikers only time will tell. To graduate 2 or 3 players a season would be extraordinary and a great success.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    On a side note the Stevenage stewards were utter goons. A fair number of them were minimum wage standard fare with ill fitting coats, they were ok. But there a number of them that seemed to think they were guarding Joe Biden. Ear pieces, marine inspired hand gestures, diving into the perfectly acceptable celebrations when the goal was scored. When they were setting up for the penalties it was a military operation for them. What a bunch of ego muppets.

I told one to calm down and he looked at me with rage

A few we spoke to were pretty decent and had a laugh. The weird one was the guy who tried to stop Bayo coming too close at the end to greet his friends. He didn't stop him!

• @TheSwearmeister said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    On a side note the Stevenage stewards were utter goons. A fair number of them were minimum wage standard fare with ill fitting coats, they were ok. But there a number of them that seemed to think they were guarding Joe Biden. Ear pieces, marine inspired hand gestures, diving into the perfectly acceptable celebrations when the goal was scored. When they were setting up for the penalties it was a military operation for them. What a bunch of ego muppets.

A few we spoke to were pretty decent and had a laugh. The weird one was the guy who tried to stop Bayo coming too close at the end to greet his friends. He didn't stop him!

For sure it was not all of them. And I know they have to plan for every set of fans being a problem but wading in to the fans celebrating at the equaliser was mad. No one even remotely looked like they were going to climb over the fence so why wade in? Took me back to the days of Stan and his army. His lap of honour was one of the oddest things I can recall.

• @JohnBoy said:

@Chris said:
    Agreed, it’s not the worst thing in the world, but it is another reminder how lucky we are to have Ainsworth who is always positive and constructive.

Not sure you've watched many GA interviews if you think he doesn't whinge about referees!

Really? He's the most restrained manager I've ever seen.
    He's always exceptionally careful with his words.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

Most enjoyable moan at stewards poss I've read since some kid said that he "punched the air" in front of a Steward and was kicked out.

• @Malone said:

@JohnBoy said:

@Chris said:
    Agreed, it’s not the worst thing in the world, but it is another reminder how lucky we are to have Ainsworth who is always positive and constructive.

Not sure you've watched many GA interviews if you think he doesn't whinge about referees!

Really? He's the most restrained manager I've ever seen.
    He's always exceptionally careful with his words.

Yes, I found that a bit strange. I must have not seen enough interviews. I've heard him question some decisions but nothing I would class as a whinge.

• Gareth is always so good in his post match interviews, respectful and restrained, truthful and articulate. Even when refereeing decisions have tested him to the limit (a frequent occurrence last season) he never goes over the top. He is a superb ambassador for our club.

• edited August 2021

@glasshalffull , hope you yourself are feeling better.

I hope your daughter (presumably?) is also ok after the ball hitting her pre match yesterday, and needing some medical treatment at the game.
    I was a row or 2 away, and saw her being led away, and it's pretty dangerous being directly behind some of our players lashing the ball at the goal! Had to duck 2 or 3 times myself!

• Thanks Malone. I am feeling much better thanks, but my daughter broke her wrist because of that wayward shot. Might have to ask Return to Senda to start doing stats for our warm ups so we know where is the safest place to sit! A Wycombe fan called John Vipond was so kind by offering to drive her home from the hospital and I can’t thank him enough.

• edited August 2021

For pro footballers, they don't half lash a lot of shots over the bar! All clubs should probably invest in some netting like we do at our games!

Hopefully she's not feeling too down. A horrible night one minute excited at the prospect of the imminent game, then injured and missing the whole thing.

I did wonder what her arrangements might be, but by then she'd been ushered out, and long gone, so very well done to John for keeping in touch like that.

• I can't put my finger on who De Barr reminds me of looks-wise. I'm thinking some action film actor maybe...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I can't put my finger on who De Barr reminds me of looks-wise. I'm thinking some action film actor maybe...

You're thinking of the Mussels from Brussels.

But I think in looks and playing style he's like United's Chicharito. He had a bit of an edge to his game that people don't realise too.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I can't put my finger on who De Barr reminds me of looks-wise. I'm thinking some action film actor maybe...

You're thinking of the Mussels from Brussels.

But I think in looks and playing style he's like United's Chicharito. He had a bit of an edge to his game that people don't realise too.

Not sure I actually was, but that's not a bad shout!

Style-wise I see Chicharito, yeah.

• Maybe Santiago that fictional Newcastle player.

• Tjay made the Gibraltar Chronicle in the sports section

• So, who does everyone think we are getting? Hoping for Arsenal, expecting Burnley or Millwall.

• It’ll be Cheltenham at home.

• United, Liverpool, City or Everton away would be epic.

Even if it is their youth team/fringe mob.

• Oh great, now Pep is going to nick Anis off us.

• SEN-SATIONAL!