Skip to content

Other teams appreciation thread

2»

Comments

• Speaking of second clubs, I've just moved to south London and was in a Tooting Pub earlier that was fully decked out in Tooting and Mitcham regalia. May take in a game when Wycombe aren't playing

• Do they still play at Sandy Lane? Proper non-league ground that but must have been sold for flats/houses by now I’d have thought

• @ReadingMarginalista I went to see St Pauli play Union a couple of seasons ago, the year Union got promoted. Fantastic match in an incredible atmosphere.

• @bookertease said:
    Do they still play at Sandy Lane? Proper non-league ground that but must have been sold for flats/houses by now I’d have thought

Sandy Lane long gone.

• Always had a soft spot for Brentford and Barnet....

• Thanks @ChasHarps. Guessed it probably had been sold off (but too lazy to google). Wonder if there are any of the classic old London Isthmian League grounds left. Probably not

• @bookertease said:
    Thanks @ChasHarps. Guessed it probably had been sold off (but too lazy to google). Wonder if there are any of the classic old London Isthmian League grounds left. Probably not

Bromley and Carshalton still at their traditional homes. As are the less spectacular Croydon at the Arena and Harrow remain at Earlsmead.
    Barking still at the poor concrete ground they moved to in the 70's.
    Clapton have recently returned to The Spotted Dog. Wembley FC still at Vale Farm.
    Uxbridge still based in Yiewsley at Honeycroft.
    Dulwich built a smaller ground, within the grounds of Champion Hill.
    Staines Town still at the Wheatsheaf.

• Edgware and Hendon now at what used to be Kingsbury's ground, Silver Jubilee Park. Nicely upgraded and quite the community hub by all accounts.

• Thanks @ChasHarps. Pleasantly surprised by Bromley and Clapton especially. Pleasantly disappointed about Croydon and Barking

• For a random club to keep an eye on or visit should it be possible any time I'm not sure if anyone has posted about Venezia? First game back in serie A today after multiple bankruptcies and an owner clearing off and taking the whole squad with him. They have a stadium smaller than ours nestled within the canals of Venice that you can only get to by long windy walk over multiple bridges or by Gondola and some very cool kits, no templates there.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    For a random club to keep an eye on or visit should it be possible any time I'm not sure if anyone has posted about Venezia? First game back in serie A today after multiple bankruptcies and an owner clearing off and taking the whole squad with him. They have a stadium smaller than ours nestled within the canals of Venice that you can only get to by long windy walk over multiple bridges or by Gondola and some very cool kits, no templates there.

Great shout. Great kits.

• They've done a good job of selecting which player should model the kits, as far as a quick search of Google images would suggest.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Clapton have recently returned to The Spotted Dog.

Clapton Community Football Club (the phoenix club born out of the supporter protest against the Clapton owner's actions) have taken control of the The Old Spotted Dog, but aren't playing there yet as it had been left to rot by McBean. There's been an incredible volunteer effort to bring the OSD back to glory, but there's still a lot to do. CCFC are still playing at Wadham Lodge sharing with Walthamstow FC. I've lost track of where McBean's club are playing these days.

• This one's for you, @prufrock_91

• @bigred87 said:
    Always had a soft spot for Brentford and Barnet....

I remember playing Barnet in the non-league days, when fans weren't segregated and regularly changed ends at half time. A lot of good natured banter with fans of quite big rivals at the time.

• Imagine that now @HorspathBlue! Although I'm sure Fulhams away end is mixed, well it looks it anyway.

• @bigred87 said:
    Imagine that now @HorspathBlue! Although I'm sure Fulhams away end is mixed, well it looks it anyway.

When I last went there, a 3rd was home, a 3rd away, and the centre 3rd was mixed